Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:54 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

I have the Buckmark Field Target. I liked the feel of it best and also thought I might opt or a red Dot. I shoot this better than any pistol I have ever owned. You can get a Volquartsen hammer and sear spring and get the trigger close to 2 lbs. Mine is 2.1 and no creep. Very clean.

All of them will have a slightly different feel to them. Pick the one that goes best with those ham fists of yours

My hands are 2xl glove size. The victory gave me even less purchase than the Buckmark.

Have fun . No way to lose this game!
Old 10-31-2018, 12:16 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenV View Post
I am leaning field target now. I do like the looks and longer barrel of the Hunter, but the full rail of the field target is nice and i might just paint the fron post. Weight isn't much of a consideration for me, so that is not holding me back from the Hunter.

I figure, since I don't really know what I like best, it doesn't hurt to start with regular sights. If I feel the need I can always paint the front post or hunt down a replacement front sight. And if all else fails I can put an optic on the Field Target more easily than on the Hunter.
Seems to me the FT gives me more options to learn and figure out my preferences than the Hunter does.

I guess, coming from nothing but rifles, I intuitively prefer the longer barrels, but I am starting to come around.
Not to be crazy ambitious here, but if you start to reach out further (some guys at the range hit plates at 100m all day long) is there an advantage balistically to the longer barrel?
I have both a Hunter and Target model (similar to the Field Target). As far as weight and balance, there is not as much difference between them as you might think from looking at pictures. The Hunter barrel is longer, but it is also thinner, so the weight is pretty close (I can weigh them to get you real numbers, if you want). As for balance, the Hunter is slightly more muzzle-heavy, but it's not an issue at all. Unless you shoot them back-to-back, you'd never notice. I prefer my Target model (for looks, balance, nostalgia, and familiarity), but that's just me. My son likes the Hunter more.

I shoot both with red dots, and they are both very accurate out to 50 yards; I've not tested them at 100m, though. If you're shooting with iron sights, the Hunter has the advantage of longer sight radius (distance between front and rear sights). If you prefer fiber-optic sights, then the Hunter is the obvious choice.

As for mounting optics on the Hunter... it has a Weaver rail, not a Picatinny rail... so as long as your chosen dot will mount on a true Weaver rail, it's not problem. I have an UltraDot MatchDot II mounted on my Hunter; it took some filing of the supplied UltraDot rings and cross bolts to get it to fit, but it works great.

As for the UDX... that grip frame is smaller (my wife has one). If you have big hands, you will almost certainly prefer the UFX/standard frame Buckmark models, like the Hunter and Field Target, over the UDX or URX models.

As for the S&W Victory... I don't own one, but I've shot them. The stock grip is tiny (like holding a broom handle), but that's probably solvable with different grips. The trigger definitely needs work, but again, it's possible to fix that. They have reasonable accuracy at 25 yards, but I've never really tested one, or shot one further out than that.

Dave
Old 10-31-2018, 01:37 PM
BenV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

It really is a first world problem, isn't it? Picking the right model Buck Mark.

Well, I have a goal to save up for and when I get close I am going to see what models I can get a good deal on. It'll probably be Januari before I can afford to buy one. I am swaying left and right, Hunter and Field/Target. I suspect sales at the time will make up my mind for me.

Out of curiosity (I am getting ahead of myself here), how many magazines do you find to be optimal. The obvious answer is "a never ending supply of loaded mags", I guess, but in real world terms. 2? 5? Get over it you can make do with 1 just fine?

I'm just wondering where to spend the money first if I have some extra. I'm thinking 1 extra magazine, magazine base plates from TK and if I'm ordering from TK anyway I might get a trigger, too.

When you start to add to bone stock, what does your priority list look like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 07:06 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unlike a lot of other RFC members, I do very little to my guns except shoot them. So for pistols, my improvement list begins & ends at getting an extra mag. I find that makes sessions go smoother if you have two people shooting the same pistol; one shoots while the other loads the second mag.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Travis299
US Marines Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BM Hunter

My BM Hunter is a sweet shooting pistol.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:38 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Out of curiosity (I am getting ahead of myself here), how many magazines do you find to be optimal. The obvious answer is "a never ending supply of loaded mags", I guess, but in real world terms. 2? 5? Get over it you can make do with 1 just fine?

I'm just wondering where to spend the money first if I have some extra. I'm thinking 1 extra magazine, magazine base plates from TK and if I'm ordering from TK anyway I might get a trigger, too.

I think a second magazine is a good first purchase. Whether it's worth having more than two depends on your intended use. Some competitions might require 4 or more mags. If you're allowed to pre-load magazines, and you're paying by the hour to use the range, the more mags the better.

My next priority is improving the trigger pull, because I use them for competitive target shooting. Much of that can be done by smoothing the existing parts (disconnector, hammer, sear), or flipping/bending the existing sear spring.

Since I shoot them a lot, next is maintenance... I use a patchworm on the bore, because you can't run a cleaning rod through from the breech end (without disassembly), use a bronze brush bent into an L-shape to clean the chamber area, and keep q-tips, toothpicks and a needle oiler in my range box to keep it clean and running smooth. It's a good idea to have an extra buffer (or two), and, if I'm ordering from Browning's Parts Department, I'd get an extra sear spring (for modifying), and maybe a backup firing pin and a backup recoil spring guide assembly if you're thinking long-term.

Next is the sights... red dot, fiber optic, plain black, painted, or whatever your preference is.

Beyond that... your money is probably best spent on more ammo and more range time, so you can practice, practice, practice... because no matter what you're shooting at, it's more fun if you hit it.

Dave
Old 11-05-2018, 05:31 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

An extra mag is my first choice, as noted in my previous response. But if you end up shooting it a lot, and I think you will, a McFadden Ultimate ClipLoader comes in mighty handy.

http://www.mcfaden.com/McFadden-Mach...der-s/1827.htm

Since you're a new shooter, I wouldn't get too carried away on replacement or upgrade parts until you get it and shoot it a bit. The trigger on mine, and everything else too, was just fine. Let us know which one you get!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:06 AM
cstuard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Either the Hunter or Field Target will be a great pistol for you. Re; FO sight. those really pop outdoors but indoors they are not much unless the range is really unusual and has a bright light right over your shooting position. So where you will shoot most often can help decide if the FO is important. Another good thing about those two models is the grip. That grip will by far have the most availability for grips. Over the years I like having grip options. It is fun to try others, and at around $50 a set, won't break the bank.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:54 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BenV, Cstuard's recent post brought my attention back to this thread. Just letting you know that we haven't lost interest in what your choice will be for your .22 pistol. Hopefully you will have a good holiday season and January will find you actively shopping for your new pistol.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:15 PM
bpoletti

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Factors

My $00,000.02USD on the topic based on my experience.
Rather than suggesting one model or another, I prefer to take a look at you and your use of the Buck Mark. All the Buck Marks are cool, but some may not be best suited for YOU.
You indicated that you have large hands. That is very important to finding the right grip. Big hands mean big grips. I have big hands. A URX model, like the Standard URX, has a big grip. I just purchased a Plus Stainless UDX last month. It has slightly smaller grips. The difference for me? My right thumb tends to drift north and snuggle up against the slide lock during shooting. That activates the slide lock and locks the slide open in the middle of the magazine. That is NOT a problem with the URX grip which helps me with grip control.
With big hands, maybe a TandemKross trigger may also help for a comfortable hand grip position since it has a slightly longer reach. I am going to try that on the UDX this week.
As far as rails and sights, my strong recommendation is to get a red dot sight to replace the open sights. Depending on the model gun you get, that might require a scope base. Inexpensive and not a big deal. A CVLife red / green dot sight could set you back less than $25CN if you shop around. I got mine for $17 on amazon. And you just won't believe the difference it makes. It's just so much fun.
BTW, I messed around for a year or so until I found the correct grips for my 1911 guns. BIG Pachmayr grips suit me the best on those.
So, in my humble opinion, LOOKS don't REALLY matter as much as how the gun fits in your big hands and what you do for future enhancements.
Remember, the choice is ALL about how well the gun operates FOR YOU. Looks are cool, but shooting enjoyment and performance for you.... Well, that's why a lot of us shoot.