making up my mind - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:42 PM
BenV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

New to the forum after a fair dose of lurking, relatively new to shooting and a complete newbie to hand guns.

I have learned that I love 22lr firearms. I regularly spend two to three hours at the range, shooting my Savage B22 FV pretty much non stop and watching a number of people show up with their center fires, firing maybe ten rounds and going home again.
Nothing against them and I fully intend to get into that later on, but I need the trigger time to get better and 22lr is the only round I can afford to do it with.
Turns out it is also a lot of fun to shoot.

After a five month wait I finally got my restricted license (I live in Canada) and I have some saving to do, but I am looking into 22lr pistols.

I am down to a Buck Mark or a SW22 Victory. Yesterday I got to shoot a BM Camper and loved it.
I have large hands and though my pinky finger kept slipping off the bottom of the grip it felt better than most. I figure the magazine base plates from Tandemkross will fix that problem.

I also like the looks of the Buck Marks better than the Victory's, so that is the way I am leaning.

Budget wise I land on three models I like:
the Hunter,
the UDX (that is all the specification this store has, product code is #10645)
or the Field Target.

It is at least a four hour drive to the nearest gun store where I can actually handle one, so it looks like I'll have to go by digital impressions while making up my mind.

Personally I love the red grips with the blued metal of the Hunter and Field Target. I don't have enough experience to really know, but I like the fo sights and sight radius of the Hunter, but that full rail looks sweet and who knows, maybe I will add an optical later on. Then again, I also like the slab side barrel of the UDX, but given my hand size I don't know if the grip will suit me well.
Aside from the grip size/shape and the sights, all my considerations are of a cosmetic nature.

Anyway! My question: out of these three, which one would you get and why?

As a side note, I have considered the Rugers, but I don't like them. No other reason than personal prejudice with no basis in experience whatsoever, but I am not going with a MKseries pistol.

Thank you for your time reading this!
Ben

Last edited by BenV; 10-29-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Typos.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:33 PM
LV3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was looking to buy a Buck Mark Hunter this summer when I came across a super deal on a Buck Mark Camper. So I bought the Camper. Should have bought two. Great little shooter.

I still want to get a Hunter though. Maybe Black Friday will prove to be fruitful.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:36 PM
LV3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BenV, Browning has a $50 rebate thru 10/31/2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 08:34 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Depends on if you want a heavier gun or a lighter one. If a lightweight barrel was in order, the cheapest Camper you can find and throw a TacSol Trail-lite barrel on it.

The UFX frame though will allow a larger grip selection I would imagine. And for my experience, the Camper shoots as good as the rest, just doesn't cost as much.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:38 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks like the Field Target and Hunter grips/frame are a bit bigger than the UDX, so that may be better for you. Between those two, if you're thinking about adding an optic later, the Field Target has a true Picatinny rail whereas the Hunter as Browning's sort-of Picatinny rail that has given some folks issues in mounting some optics. On the plus side, the Hunter has a longer barrel & therefore longer sight radius that theoretically makes it easier to shoot accurately, plus the fiber optic front sight. Being a little longer, the Hunter may feel a bit more unwieldy than the Field Target or the Camper you shot.

Kind of depends on what is important to you. I have an older UDX Plus, and love the way it fits my hand and the FO front sight. My Significant Other has a UDX and an older Practical. The actions are the same, and I think the primary difference in the Buck Mark models comes down to grip frame size/style and barrel length. The rest is just cosmetics to me, i.e., finish, sights, barrel style, etc.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:21 AM
BenV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@LV3 - I know! And the store I'd buy it from has some Buck Mark specials on, too, making it twice as good a deal. Like C$160 off for a Lite Flute UFX, making it C$50 cheaper than the Hunter before the rebate.

But! I can't do anything until I receive my restricted license. It is approved, but I haven't received it in the mail yet. Will probably be anther two weeks. Probably just as well, given that I can't afford to buy one right now...

@cabin22 - in all honesty I doubt I'll add an optic to it in the foreseeable future. I know I like the grip size of the Hunter and Field Target because it is the same as the Camper, but with different grips. And those grips look great to me. Generic enough to fit my hand, but still with a bit of shape to them.

In your opinion, is a fiber optic front sight a big plus?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:31 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Of the two brands listed, I would go with the Buck Mark. The real decision is which model. Even though you don't want optics now, having the option is nice. It is cheaper to have a pistol capable of mounting a red dot sight now, than it is to modify one later.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenV View Post
@cabin22 - in all honesty I doubt I'll add an optic to it in the foreseeable future. I know I like the grip size of the Hunter and Field Target because it is the same as the Camper, but with different grips. And those grips look great to me. Generic enough to fit my hand, but still with a bit of shape to them.

In your opinion, is a fiber optic front sight a big plus?
I love the fiber optic sight on my UDX. Much as I hate to admit it, my older eyes see it much, much better than a standard black post, and since I use it mainly for plinking and informal target shooting, I don't mind the little bit of extra flair from the FO rod vs. the solid line of the black post. Switching between pistols that have an FO and those that don't during a session reinforces my preference for the FO sights. My Significant Other's S&W Victory has a very nice set of FO sights from the factory, and I'm swapping the plain factory post on my Ruger Mark IV for a FO front sight today.

So, Yes, to me the FO is a plus. I'm not sure if there are replacement FO sights for the Field Target model, there are for other Buck Mark models.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:24 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Hello BenV: I have a Hunter and a MkIV Competition (as well as a S&W 41). They are my favorite 50 yard plate pistols. These two only, the Hunter and the Competition take turns winning the "best groups at 25 yard with a scope" contest with 6 or 7 different types of ammo. I have large hands and all three fit me just fine. I have noticed the Hunter chamber does "gunk up" with powder/primer residue faster than the Competition. (Thank you, Lyman Borescope) All three have some problems with lead buildup in the barrel. In order from worst to least.... Hunter, Competition, and Model 41. The Hunter is a fine pistol, but there are some things I wish were better.

The finish on the Hunter is just a weak OK, wish it was offered in stainless. Cleaning the barrel from the crown doesn't really doesn't fit my way of thinking. Taking it down to give the barrel a good cleaning is not that hard, just a pain compared to the other two.

Suggestions: If I had it to do over again, I would get the stainless UDX Plus with the steel frame. Wish they made one with a 7 1/4" barrel. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...nless-udx.html
Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 AM
LV3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@ ammohog- MWG sells Buck Mark barrels, you might like this one.
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B5150058
Old 10-30-2018, 10:46 AM
bluewave
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome To the Forum!

First of all, welcome to the Forum! This is the best pistol forum I've found, by far.

I agree, the .22 is a lot more fun to shoot and the ammo is 50% less than the 9mm I've been shooting. I have a Buck Mark Black Label Contour which is also a lot more accurate than my 9mm.

My Black Label is similar to the Field Target you mentioned. It shoots great and the only thing I didn't like about the Black Label was the front blade sight is pinned into the rail, same as the Field Target. I wanted a fiber optic front sight and finally found one but it was a pain to install.

Of the Browning pistols you mentioned, I would go with the one of the UDX models. The UDX has a slab side barrel rather than the bull barrel on the Field Target. The UDX also has a rail which would allow the installation of an optic. And the UDX has a fiber optic front sight.

I have a lot of fun shooting my Black Label using the target rear sight and fiber optic front sight or using a small red dot sight such as the Vortex Venom.

As far as cleaning, I use a bore snake and clean the barrel from the rear and a brush to clean the chamber. Sometimes I remove the rail and slide for a more through cleaning.

The UDX will be my next Buck Mark!

Good luck with your shooting!

Last edited by bluewave; 10-30-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-30-2018, 02:23 PM
BenV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone for the replies.

@Bluewave - Is there an advantage to the slab side barrel, other than looks? I suspect the UDX I found is an older model. It only has the regular sights and no rail at all. That is probably why it is cheaper than normal.

I am leaning field target now. I do like the looks and longer barrel of the Hunter, but the full rail of the field target is nice and i might just paint the fron post. Weight isn't much of a consideration for me, so that is not holding me back from the Hunter.

I figure, since I don't really know what I like best, it doesn't hurt to start with regular sights. If I feel the need I can always paint the front post or hunt down a replacement front sight. And if all else fails I can put an optic on the Field Target more easily than on the Hunter.
Seems to me the FT gives me more options to learn and figure out my preferences than the Hunter does.

I guess, coming from nothing but rifles, I intuitively prefer the longer barrels, but I am starting to come around.
Not to be crazy ambitious here, but if you start to reach out further (some guys at the range hit plates at 100m all day long) is there an advantage balistically to the longer barrel?

In any case, I have a few more months to make up my mind. Once I sort out the funding the pressure is truly on. 😁
Old 10-30-2018, 04:18 PM
bluewave
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BenV

There's no advantage to the slab side barrel as far as I know. I just think they look better.

I think the Field Target is a great choice for you. I doubt that you would find any difference in the accuracy between the 5.5" barrel and the 7.5" barrel. I also painted the front sight on my Black Label and that really helped these old eyes. However, the fiber optic works even better for me.

The fiber optic front sight is hard to find and the only source I know of is EWK Arms.

Good luck with your adventure. However, I don't think you can go wrong with about any of the Buck Marks!

Last edited by bluewave; 10-30-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-30-2018, 04:50 PM
k4swb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To SW or to Buckmark-That is the Question.

My wife has a BM. That looks bad but you guys know what BM is.
She loves it with Williams Firesights on it.

I have a SW22 Victory, now tricked out some.
Also have an old MKII Ruger.

All three shoot extremely well with the factory bbls. I've scoped all of them and all will shoot 1 ragged hole 10 shot groups at 25 yards with the factory bbls.

Ruger has a really nice, owner slicked up factory trigger. SW22 has a TK Victory trigger that is as nice as the MKII now.

The darn Buckmark's trigger is almost as nice as the other 2 and I haven't done squat to it. Wife won't let me even flip the spring.

Lately I've been shooting the SW22 mostly because it is newer and has more bells and whistles but the only reason I bought it was so I'd also have a fairly new .22 pistol to go along with hers.

Between the two you questioned about, it really is a toss up, IMO.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First Benv, welcome to the forum. I belong to about 6 gun forums, and this one is my favorite. Hope you enjoy it also. And now to your question, I currently own a Victory pistol with the Tandemkross trigger installed, and I have been happy with it. However, the Buckmark Field Target would be my choice of the Browning models and I think that it is a much nicer looking pistol than the Victory. I like the 5.5 inch bull barrel which both the Browning Field Target and standard Victory have, and I like the rail design on the Browning. I also like the profile of the Browning grip frame better than the Victory. On the other hand, I like the solid stainless steel receiver of the Victory and I think the Victory would be slightly easier to field strip for cleaning, but not by much. Both are nice pistols and I will be anxious to hear which one you choose.