Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 AM
wolfmandean
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have not seen anyone describe an issue with this, but will put it out here and ask. I just did the transfer (from Buds to my LGS) last Friday 12/7 for this Black Label Contour (G10 Blue Black grips). This is my fifth Buckmark. The only issue, is that when you depress the mag release button, which seems very stiff, you can hear the click of the mag being released, and then you have to grab the base and pull firmly, as if it is dragging, out of the pistol. Knowing I had this on the way, I ordered three "new factory in package Buckmark mags" from Optics Planet, as they had a great discount coupon & free shipping. So I took each of those three mags and tried in this new Black label, and two of them were harder to extract (almost stuck in the frame) and one dropped freely. I kept the one that dropped freely and left in the pistol, and have returned the other three to Optics, since they have the "free return" policy. While I feel these are mag issues, I am not feeling good about the pistol at this point. Out of the other four Buckmarks I have, this is a first. Any input, experiences, of anyone having a similar issue would be very welcome. Thanks! Dean
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM
DON6244

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Possibly loosen your grip screws just a slight amount (not to the point where the grips are loose)
Old 12-12-2018, 01:22 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you see marks on the magazine, that might indicate where it is rubbing?

When you have to pull the mag out, does it drag all the way out, or just for the first half inch and then it's free? That information, combined with marks on the mag, would go a long way towards narrowing down what it's dragging on.

As DON6244 mentioned, the grip screw is a likely candidate. If backing out the grip screw a little solves the problem, I'd shorten the screw by taking a file to the tip of the screw, rather than leaving the grip loose forever.

Since you own other Buckmarks, presumably you have other Buckmark magazines, too. They should interchange freely. Do the new mags work in your other Buckmarks, and do your old mags work in the new Buckmark?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2018, 01:37 PM
wolfmandean

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks! I did a search & found someone else in this Forum bring this up with a Contour couple years ago, and he even said if he loosened the grip screw, it was better. I looked very closely at the first (original) mag that was supplied with it, and I could not find any marks at all. And it did seem to drag a good distance. Two of the other new mags, I actually had to take a rag, with the dull side of a knife, and place in the gap between the frame and base plate of mag, to get it to come out enough that I could grasp and pull the rest of the way out. Yet the third new mag, drops freely (hmmm). I even saw a comment about the mag release on the inside may have a burr or machining issue, and what to do - years ago I may have attempted to check that when I could/would disassemble 1911'a and S&W revolvers, but those days are gone now . The mag release button does seem to be really tight or stiff (to me). I had sent an email to Browning C/S first thing Monday AM, and forwarded that email to them again this AM (Wed), as I have had no response at all. Have never had any issues with other Buckmarks, so no experience with their C/S as far as what to expect.
(honestly I was pretty turned off with this, never having had this before with the others, so haven't tried any of the mags from my others yet)

Here is a review from someone else Aug 2018 who just bought factory new mag: Appears to be a genuine Browning magazine in genuine factory packaging. Using a caliper to compare dimensions of this magazine to the original I can find no significant differences. However, the new magazine is hard to insert the last quarter inch or so. Once inserted in the pistol it functions properly but will not eject and has to be pried out.

Last edited by wolfmandean; 12-12-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:23 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandean View Post
... the mag release on the inside may have a burr or machining issue, and what to do - years ago I may have attempted to check that when I could/would disassemble 1911'a and S&W revolvers, but those days are gone now . The mag release button does seem to be really tight or stiff (to me).
If I had a functional issue with a new gun, I'd also expect the manufacturer to correct it, so I'm in no way suggesting that you shouldn't pursue that course of resolution.

However, getting to the mag release button on a Buckmark is VERY easy on a Buckmark with separate left/right grips (one piece grips are a bit more trouble). Lay the gun on the table with the right side facing up. Remove the single grip screw. Lift the right grip off the frame. Lift the T-shaped magazine latch spring off the frame. Reach underneath and push the mag release button. That part (technically call the magazine latch) will pop up, and you can just pull it out of the frame to examine it. Installation is the reverse. There's no tiny quarter-turn screwhead like on a 1911 mag release, the part just slides out and back in with no hassle (it's held in place by the right grip).

Here's a labeled photo that shows the right side parts of the Buckmark.

Here's a photo of the mag latch part (side view).

Here's a photo of the mag latch being re-installed in the frame.

Dave
Old 12-13-2018, 07:54 AM
wolfmandean

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
If I had a functional issue with a new gun, I'd also expect the manufacturer to correct it, so I'm in no way suggesting that you shouldn't pursue that course of resolution.

However, getting to the mag release button on a Buckmark is VERY easy on a Buckmark with separate left/right grips (one piece grips are a bit more trouble). Lay the gun on the table with the right side facing up. Remove the single grip screw. Lift the right grip off the frame. Lift the T-shaped magazine latch spring off the frame. Reach underneath and push the mag release button. That part (technically call the magazine latch) will pop up, and you can just pull it out of the frame to examine it. Installation is the reverse. There's no tiny quarter-turn screwhead like on a 1911 mag release, the part just slides out and back in with no hassle (it's held in place by the right grip).

Here's a labeled photo that shows the right side parts of the Buckmark.

Here's a photo of the mag latch part (side view).

Here's a photo of the mag latch being re-installed in the frame.

Dave
Thanks Dave. May attempt that this weekend. Back about five years ago on a Buckmark (with the wraparound), I ordered Hogue G10 grips (and ended up returning them)...but I didn't think I would even get all the little springs, etc, back just right . Also what really puzzles me with this one, is why "one" magazine is in and out like awesome, drops free, etc...yet the other three, like the other guy that I posted his review, you practically have to pry them out of the frame. Those three mags were in original Buckmark packaging from optics Planet & I have already returned them. The last frustrating thing, and I have never had to have any experience with Browning C/S, I sent them a super detailed email off their website early Monday AM, with model #, serial #, transfer date, detailed description, etc...and resent it yesterday (Wed), and not a word from them whatsoever! Thanks again very much! Dean

Last edited by wolfmandean; 12-13-2018 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo