Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 PM
morrcarr67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Budget Target Stock

I am working on a budget build/upgrade and I was thinking about using a Barracuda stock. I was leaning this way for two reasons. I like the way it looks and Altamonte has them for a good price.

Well I'm going to be using a 20" SS bull barrel. It's pretty heavy so I want to be able to put a bipod on it. Looks like the Barracuda stock isn't really designed for that.

What stocks would you recommend? Please keep in mind that this is a "BUDGET" build. My idea of a budget build is to get a good product at the best possible price. My idea of a budget build is also keeping the price to a minimum.

I did see a stock called a precision stock that looks pretty cool and is about $100. I just couldn't tell if it will accept a bipod.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 02:55 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
check with CWP to see if they have any of the B Team target stocks left...they were selling them for $20
Old 09-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Lawyerman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
That CWP would be pretty tough to beat. I have been looking for a Ruger factory Target take off for awhile and they are hens teeth.....It's a good option if you can find one I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
And, as we said in your other thread, it will be much better to mount a bipod on than the barracuda or stinger style stock
Old 09-21-2018, 11:50 AM
morrcarr67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, that's why I came over to the stock section. I guess though I could have just asked more in that thread.

I'll get it all figured out. I didn't realize how heavy the 20" bull barrel would weigh until I got it. Oh well live and learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyHand View Post
And, as we said in your other thread, it will be much better to mount a bipod on than the barracuda or stinger style stock
Old 09-21-2018, 02:47 PM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Take a look at these laminate stocks:

Rimfire 10/22 stocks

It will give you an idea on what is available. Once you find what you like, you can look around for different manufacturers and vendors and look for a good price. I have purchased a stock from Stocky's and they were good to deal with. I have also ordered a stock from Boyds and I will see what their customer experience is like.

It would be hard to beat that CWP for $20! That stock would also work well with a bipod.

Last edited by ShakeyHand; 09-21-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:49 PM
morrcarr67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyHand View Post
Take a look at these laminate stocks:

Rimfire 10/22 stocks

It will give you an idea on what is available. Once you find what you like, you can look around for different manufacturers and vendors and look for a good price. I have purchased a stock from Stocky's and they were good to deal with. I have also ordered a stock from Boyds and I will see what their customer experience is like.
Cool. Thanks for the link.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know they poopoo them but...

I have a Hougue overmolded stock with a bull barrel, and it works fine , takes a bipod and is cheap. The CWPs are sold out , cause for $ 20 it was a great deal.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:11 PM
morrcarr67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool.

Funny thing about CWP is that they only sell 2nds. I've been to their site looking at their stocks for a few years now and I have never seen them sell first run stocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
I have a Hougue overmolded stock with a bull barrel, and it works fine , takes a bipod and is cheap. The CWPs are sold out , cause for $ 20 it was a great deal.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:28 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Cool.

Funny thing about CWP is that they only sell 2nds. I've been to their site looking at their stocks for a few years now and I have never seen them sell first run stocks.

the first run stocks they sold were of their own design...the stocks that are/were on clearance are the blem stocks that were not good enough to ship to Ruger

ETA: CWP Phoenix
[IMG]https://cdn3.volusion.com/av***.wbwva/v/vspfiles/photos/CWP-1022-WF-2.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by crackedcornish; 09-21-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:31 PM
morrcarr67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
the first run stocks they sold were of their own design...the stocks that are/were on clearance are the blem stocks that were not good enough to ship to Ruger
Interesting.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:43 PM
morrcarr67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, does anyone know where to get a stock that looks like this one for about $100 less?

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocky...-bull-fbc.html

Old 09-22-2018, 01:21 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
check out the paladin

https://www.altamontco.com/rifle-stocks/1022/PALADIN/
Old 09-22-2018, 06:13 PM
morrcarr67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen that. I was looking at their Barracuda stock. I have a budget of $150 for the stock; hopefully with shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
Old 09-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Budget $150

Either wait fo a $20 super deal to show up. Go on eBay and find the guy who bought them all and is reselling. Go to gun show and find a deal. None of the ones you want are going to be that cheap.

Call Ruger and see if they have any laying around. They dropped the Target model, so there may be a few spare stocks, seconds , but if youíre real sweet they may just give you one.

Other than that , The hogue overmolded is under 100 bucks. And unlike others I have had zero issues with it. Some have said that the non overmolded is better cause itís stiffer, but I donít have one so I donít know.

Over all plastic stock vs wood stock. Wood is prettier, heavier and scratchable and dentable.also the inletting can be hit or miss .And youíll have to clean up the rough inside with sandpaper.on a 1022 youíll have to be careful not to crush the wood with the Action screw. Plastic is uglier,lighter, and tougher to scratch or dent , and who cares?the inletting is uniform and smooth, but if there are issues easy to sand.

You are doing a budget build ,itís not going to look like an Ultimate Joe Chacon. The important thing is that it shoots good, A cheap ill fitting wood stock could goof that up, a Hogue stock imho less so.

My budget Target build , glass included , cost less than $ 500 , including original rifle, KSA barrel , gun smither v block, Hornet black max trigger,Hogue stock, Barska 40 x glass , Chinese bipod, bolt buffer. And while it wonít outshoot an Ultimate it will shoot 80% as good and cost 80% less. Iím guessing that the Joe Chacon cost is $2500 and Iíve never shot one or seen one in action. But you get my point. You can build a good gun for $500. But It will never be a Kidd

Last edited by Toomany22s; 09-22-2018 at 09:23 PM.