Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:46 AM
sunnydin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face cz 452 Walnut vs Beech?

I am looking at purchasing a CZ .452 LR in either American or LUX.
I have found 2 in Beech Wood, but the wood grain is just "average". I have always been a Walnut fan. But I thought that I could buy the Beech Wood version now, and later on ( 5 years down the road) upgrade to a nicer classic grained Walnut.
I am not a Collector, just a hunter who enjoys nice wood, but don't need Walnut immediately. Am I being too picky?
Would anybody share any thoughts with me on the two wood options?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Wadekow
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know what your budget is, but there's a beautiful 452 american on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/713772953

In 5 years there's no telling what prices will be like, it might be wise to buy the one you like now. If your budget allows it.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Nathaniel Bumppo
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm with you Sunny. I definitely land on the "walnut" side of the fence, but my recent purchase of a 455 Trainer only came in beech. A good rifle, or fishing rod for that matter, should be a combination of function as well as aesthetics. I think anyone who favors the more classic style over the modern military look would agree. Walnut gets my vote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 11:48 AM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
If you want walnut in a 452 , buy it now . CZ no longer carries the walnut stocks for the 452 Varmint and a few others . When I called them about getting a walnut replacement stock , I was told the 452 are discontinued and they would not be carrying replacement stocks for them .
Occasionally a 452 Walnut stock will show up in the classsifieds , but most of the time they are plain . Folks hold onto their fancy wood usually. Kirby
Old 11-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree. If you like walnut, get walnut. By luck of the draw, though, we've managed to get some quite lovely beech versions on our CZs which have more character than our plainer walnut versions. As for function, beech is definitely a tougher wood, though. Holds up to dings and scratches better than the softer walnut. Had a beech UL that survived a fall off the bench on to concrete and it barely got scratched. Same fall might have snapped or cracked a walnut.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydin22 View Post
I am looking at purchasing a CZ .452 LR in either American or LUX.
I have found 2 in Beech Wood, but the wood grain is just "average". I have always been a Walnut fan. But I thought that I could buy the Beech Wood version now, and later on ( 5 years down the road) upgrade to a nicer classic grained Walnut.
I am not a Collector, just a hunter who enjoys nice wood, but don't need Walnut immediately. Am I being too picky?
Would anybody share any thoughts with me on the two wood options?

What?? Sir let me tell you something One of the finest rifles I have had the pleasure of buying and shooting is my 455 Trainer in 17hmr it has the perfect barrel length on it, perfect balance and shoots like no other rifle I own out of the box. It is very accurate and I only have a few other rifles that can shoot with it one being my 452 FS and my Marlin 883 rifle. The kind of wood has no benefit on how good your rifle is going to shoot...it just icing on the cake...its a tool and I would not get one just because it did not have knock your socks of stock on it.

I like good to great wood also and 5 years down the road if you use it like most people do there will be scratches and dings and great stories to go with those marks. So if you can't find one with nice walnut stock on it, don't let that stop you from buying one. I have had some great looking rifle in the past that would not shoot for beans and other that a ruger 10/22 stock look better than would just blow you away accuracy wise and price does not matter also. Cheap ones can shoot just as well as the expensive ones do. I changed the stock for a recoil pad and that was the only reason...still shoots lights out with either stock.

Sorry SD I will get off my soap box now...so did you decide which model your going to get. ?? I would go for the lux...and good things come to those that wait. I can tell you about my 3 year search for my 452 American in 22mag it's so nice I had to buy another one so I could go out hunting....but that is for another time.

SM
Old 11-04-2017, 12:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekow View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but there's a beautiful 452 american on Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/713772953

In 5 years there's no telling what prices will be like, it might be wise to buy the one you like now. If your budget allows it.
That is a nice one so what is the buy it now price??

SM
Old 11-04-2017, 01:29 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
452s like the one on Gunbroker will be harder and harder to find very soon. Get it or you'll be kicking yourself for years to come...

(if it's still available)
Old 11-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Nathaniel Bumppo
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted a 452 lux some years ago. I never "pulled the trigger". My butt is still sore because of how many times I've kicked myself.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:16 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few years ago, I bought a used 527 in .22 Hornet. The stock had been painted black (eccccchhh), and you could tell it had been broken at the wrist and repaired. I got it home, and stripped off that black paint. Underneath was a formerly beautiful, tiger-striped piece of walnut, that had been broken and artfully repaired, but even with the good job, it was a heartbreaker when it got broken. I can really feel for the previous owner.
Point being, walnut, for all its beauty, isn't really very strong, especially the really pretty pieces with lots of figure. Straight-grained walnut is pretty strong, lots better than the figured stuff, really.
And beech beats walnut every day, for strength. I've got a lot of walnut-stocked rifles, but I'm under no illusions, beech is better. (only one of my stocks is beech, I wish I'd bought one of those beechstocked 452 Americans when they were around).
Old 11-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The difference between the two is purely cosmetic. The rest of the rifle is the same on both, and both woods are excellent stock materials with regard to strength and durability. Pick the one that looks best to you.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My UL beech stock finish was blotchy and CZ saw "nothing wrong with it." Beech can be that way, so they say. It has pretty figure without the 'fingernails' some love and I don't, hence my consternation. I swapped it for a walnut FS one with plain figure.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:47 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Al, those "fingernails" are rays in the wood - a tissue structure that moves water and nutrients radially in a tree.

If you want walnut - a 452 Lux, get it as soon as you can. It won't shoot better than Trainer, but it will probably have a prettier stock.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:43 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't let all Signalman's pictures fool you into thinking any walnut stock will look like his. I have 3 452s now, plus one I sold, all with walnut. Every one was plain, plain. But they shoot very well. Since 452s have been "out of production" more than once in the last three years or so, buy one when you can. Beech stocks aren't likely to be the wood lottery, but won't be ugly either.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Don't let all Signalman's pictures fool you into thinking any walnut stock will look like his. I have 3 452s now, plus one I sold, all with walnut. Every one was plain, plain. But they shoot very well. Since 452s have been "out of production" more than once in the last three years or so, buy one when you can. Beech stocks aren't likely to be the wood lottery, but won't be ugly either.
Cabin22 and Sunnydin22 guys I have a few that are plain jane like the one with my fancy American and this one which is as plain as they come and it was my very first CZ my 452 FS.

and even my newest one my CZ 550 FS is nothing to brag about.

Like I have said all a long...the wood grain is the icing on the cake.

I have been lucky with the wood gods...must be my Enabler points

Signalman