Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2003, 11:42 PM
BigMattXXL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking I got my rifle!!!

I got my first rifle tonight, a ruger 10/22. I'm really interested in getting some higher capacity magazines, but I'm not familiar with the legal issues concerning this matter. I live in Maryland, and we've got some fairly strict gun laws here. Can I legally own/use a 25/35/50 round magazine in my rifle? If so, is there any particular brand I should look for?

Thanks for any help!

XXL
Old 01-22-2003, 11:49 PM
stratcat
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Matt,

you can use the high capacity magazines, you can also buy them legally if you are willing to spend the money for them.

congrats on the 10/22.

You can check out some upgrades in this forum, some are fairly cheap, some just take a bit of knowledge to complete! Have fun man, and ask questions.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:03 AM
BigMattXXL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by stratcat
Matt,

you can use the high capacity magazines, you can also buy them legally if you are willing to spend the money for them.

congrats on the 10/22.

You can check out some upgrades in this forum, some are fairly cheap, some just take a bit of knowledge to complete! Have fun man, and ask questions.
I'm not doubting you, SC, but I keep reading on all these web sites "Cannot ship to CA, MD, etc." and apparently I can't have a magazine that's more than 20 rounds.

Could you clear this up for me?

XXL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 12:09 AM
stratcat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
oops, I forgot you are from MD, one of these guys will be along to clear that up for you, I don't want you to trust me and get in trouble.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:10 AM
BigMattXXL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by stratcat
oops, I forgot you are from MD, one of these guys will be along to clear that up for you, I don't want you to trust me and get in trouble.
Cool.

XXL
Old 01-23-2003, 12:35 AM
Jaeger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can tell ya whats comming
Cheif will say, go get some ruger box mags, tune em. You will still have them when the aftermarkets fall apart. and they are expensive! i cant see spending 70 on a magazine! go grab a buttler creek loader for their hotlips mags (it works on regular ruger magazines, and i love it) if you must get aftermarket hi-cap mags, get steel lips. The lips wont wear out from the brass passing over them
good luck with the new rifle!
Old 01-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Willamette

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The way it is here in CA is that they banned manufacturers from producing any more magazines greater than 10 rds. The manufacturers produced a bunch of them before the ban went into effect and as long as the product was produced before the ban they are still legal to use here. But, some of the shooting ranges will not allow them regardless of whether it's legal or not, they dont have to police it evey time someone wants to use one. Everyone is so %%%%ed sue happy they just don't want the potential liability.

As the other post recommended, get a bunch of the BX-1 magazines from Ruger. They are more reliable, can be rebuilt and tuned up. Most of the aftermarket high cap mags are all plastic and glued together anyway, so they wear out and can't be rebuilt or cleaned.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:41 AM
BigMattXXL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a feeling that our Maryland democrats probably decided to smash my dreams of popping off 50 rounds in a row from my new toy. I'll probably just go with the original suggestions and buy a bunch of 10 round Ruger mags. Sounds like a good idea.

XXL
Old 01-23-2003, 04:40 AM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can always JB Weld two of the Ruger mags back to back. You still have to swap at every ten rounds, but all you are doing is turning it over...

That's *almost* as good as a twenty.. (and a lot more reliable)

Ron
Old 01-23-2003, 05:44 AM
BigMattXXL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UPDATE!

Here's the Maryland law:

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine for any type of firearm, except a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine, if the magazine has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition.

What is a tubular magazine? I'm new to all of this.

XXL
Old 01-23-2003, 05:59 AM
stratcat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

a tubular magazine runs paralell to the barrel, this is where the rounds are held, they are fed with a spring loaded rod.

the Marlin model 60 comes to mind as a good example of this.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Jaeger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
your ruger fails
Old 01-23-2003, 08:35 PM
el solo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here in Kalifornia you can have them and use them. You just cannot bring them into the state, transfer them to somebody else in the state, sell them. Have or use:yes, import or sell:no.

This pisses off some of the guys I steel plate pistol shoot against, it is illegal for them to take their magazines to an out of state match because they would have to bring them back across the border on the way home. Maybe in '04 keep them fingers crossed