Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2003, 01:01 AM
myredchevy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jewelled finish?

I want to do a jewelled finish on my reciever, but can't find much info on how to do it. Can someone lead me in the right direction. I understand the VERY basics, but cant find much on bits and things of that nature. Any help on this would be great!
Thanks Mike
Old 01-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Coyote
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Coyote
myredchevy
I am no expert by any means. But I followed some advise here and mine turned out pretty good.

I first purchased a 3/16" Menck damascening tool for $20 bucks from Brownells. It appears to be a very hard eraser in a tube. LOL you may just take a eraser from a pencil and get the same effect. Anyhow I put it in a drill (I have a drill in a stand) and made smaller circles which appeared to be like scales. You just apply a small amount of downward pressure and the eraser scratches the surface of the bolt. The second 10/22 bolt, I put the tool in a drill, free drill and did the same thing, with no pattern. I think this one looks the best. Again pushing the eraser against the bolt with a small amount of pressure. Try a pencil eraser on the back side of the bolt to see how it works.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:07 AM
myredchevy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What did you use as a polishing compound? Maybe the "eraser" had some sort of abrasive in it. Ill do a search on the damascening tool. I tried jewelling and engine turning, found what it looks like but I couldn't find any tools (bits). Thanks for the lead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Chazz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The tool uses a Cratex insert, that is the rubber eraser part. It is an abrasive in a rubberlike compound. There are lots of Cratex tools and great for lots of things. Do a search for Cratex, that is the brand name, and see what you find. The only tool specifically for jeweling I have found was at Brownells.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:00 PM
cjsdad
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to cjsdad
Check this page out and follow the links. It is a fantastic source for do-it-yourselfers. Most of the tips and tricks are done on Turkish Mausers but I think they can be applied to just about anything. This link will take you directly to the jeweling page but take alook at his home page and you will be amazed.

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/jb/jb.html
Old 01-20-2003, 11:23 AM
el solo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have done it to auto parts this way:

Get wooden dowel in diameter you want 3/8"-1/2"
Cut dowel into 4" section and put that section in drill press
true up end of dowel with sandpaper on flat surface while turning it in drill
apply lapping compound to end of dowel
bring dowel down to surface in overlapping circles using drill press
re-apply lapping compound as necessary
Old 01-20-2003, 06:01 PM
myredchevy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm going to try the wood dowel way. With the dremel and a press for it. I tried a brissle type brush, no go. Then I tried a steel brush, still not a good result. I just jb welded a small insert into a wood dowel, and its drying as I type. Well see how that works. Also I'm using valve polishing compound. I'll get this to work some how!!
Thanks for all the replies, Mike
Old 01-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really doubt that you can use a Dremel in any way that will do a decent job. You need a drill press. I'd advise using a piece of half inch wooden dowel that has been turned down to about a 1/4" on the end. You don't use a polishing compound... use valve grinding compound..

here's a picture of a first attempt using a wood dowel and grinding compound... It's not the best, but with care, you can make a pretty neat looking bolt with it.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:47 PM
myredchevy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually what I have is a drill press for the dremel tool. And I should have specified valve grinding compound. What I picked up is 280 and 120 grit stuff. The press I have is a little shakey, but I think it will work for this. What I'll probally do is set up some kind of guide to keep the circles stright.