Loading the Hornet - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-28-2015, 08:32 AM
10ring1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2007
Location: 
Appalachia
Posts: 
3,087
TPC Rating: 
97% (58)


Log in to see fewer ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbust View Post
10ring1 - PM me if you are looking for the Lil Gun - was at a LGS on Wednesday and they had 4lb jugs of it, didn't look at the price but definitely available. I know 4 pounds could reload a hornet for decades but available.
Thank you for looking out for me. I have about a 1/4 of a pound but I have loaded all of my hornet cases for now. I do use it in my 500 S&W too. The shipping costs are just so high or I would take you up on it. I will keep looking locally. If I ever get super desparate I will have to bite the bullet so to speak.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,966
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ring1 View Post
I have a hornet in a CZ527 (the only CZ I own) and an abolt. Lil gun and vmax combo with a fed. pistol primer is my go to load. On a calm day, in the CZ I am getting just over 1/2 MOA. The abolt is about 3/4 MOA with the same load. It is a pleasure to shoot.
The key to reloading the hornet is patience when loading. You must take your time.
Good advice here. What you can get away with on "Normal" will be a mess on Hornets.

While I am sure it has been done it is hard to believe working well on a progressive or automated press. Once again Die set up would have to be spot on as would the feeding systems.
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Onearm's Avatar
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2009
Location: 
Tacoma, WA
Posts: 
5,058
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The Arbor Press/Hand Die Option

If you ever decide to spend a bit more (or should I say, a lot more) a set of hand dies with an arbor press eliminates any possibility of damaging your brass while loading. You put the brass into the die in each stage of the process. When loading the bullet, it drops into the die perfectly aligned with the mouth of the brass. Once in the die, there is no lateral movement at all of either the brass or the bullet.

Being a one handed, ham handed oldster, I had a lot of problems with the RCBS Rock Chucker, even when loading the very forgiving 220 Swift. When I bought a Martini Cadet in 218 Bee, Russ Haydon suggested I try the hand die system, with an arbor press. Everything immediately got a lot easier. I will never go back. With my arbor press and hand dies, I can set up and load on my dining room table, without clamping anything down. I realize most owners of this system are competition shooters but I see no reason why anyone, except a very high volume loader would not benefit from having an Arbor Press and a set of Wilson hand dies. High volume loaders might do best with a progressive press.

I am sure you can find a video on Youtube, showing the process.

Last edited by Onearm; 03-28-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-28-2015, 02:39 PM
mikeinco2014

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Posts: 
1,112
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
i do the same...sort of.
i own over 100 sets of "lee classic loaders" and rather than a hammer i use an arbor press. i also do wilson dies for some rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onearm View Post
If you ever decide to spend a bit more (or should I say, a lot more) a set of hand dies with an arbor press eliminates any possibility of damaging your brass while loading. You put the brass into the die in each stage of the process. When loading the bullet, it drops into the die perfectly aligned with the mouth of the brass. Once in the die, there is no lateral movement at all of either the brass or the bullet.

Being a one handed, ham handed oldster, I had a lot of problems with the RCBS Rock Chucker, even when loading the very forgiving 220 Swift. When I bought a Martini Cadet in 218 Bee, Russ Haydon suggested I try the hand die system, with an arbor press. Everything immediately got a lot easier. I will never go back. With my arbor press and hand dies, I can set up and load on my dining room table, without clamping anything down. I realize most owners of this system are competition shooters but I see no reason why anyone, except a very high volume loader would not benefit from having an Arbor Press and a set of Wilson hand dies. High volume loaders might do best with a progressive press.

I am sure you can find a video on Youtube, showing the process.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Onearm's Avatar
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2009
Location: 
Tacoma, WA
Posts: 
5,058
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinco2014 View Post
i do the same...sort of.
i own over 100 sets of "lee classic loaders" and rather than a hammer i use an arbor press. i also do wilson dies for some rifles.
I also use my arbor press, throughout the de-priming, neck sizing and bullet loading processes. I see no reason to use a hammer. I can't understand why anyone would use a hammer rather than the press. Currently, the only centerfire cartridge I am loading is .222 Remington. My press is a Russ Haydon designed press. I will set up my loading gear, take a few pictures and post them today.

Last edited by Onearm; 03-28-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Hippy's Avatar
Hippy

Join Date: 
May 2003
Location: 
Maryland
Posts: 
1,021
TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Just wondering about the "Spacer" between the die and Ram--I have seen where a lot of people are using a "O" ring on the die to help align it with the press.

Has anyone tried this with the Hornet dies ?

Thanx ,

Jim
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,966
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Several of my posts here have been updated so I thought I would save this here to keep this thread alive. Much good info especially for Hornet fans but the die set up can apply to any round you reload.

There is so much knowledge here at RFC it is amazing! Many that posted here are either not with us any longer or are just inactive at RFC. Reading through this thread reminds me of old friends and still great info.

If this stuff interests you take a few minutes and enjoy!
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Onearm's Avatar
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2009
Location: 
Tacoma, WA
Posts: 
5,058
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Several of my posts here have been updated so I thought I would save this here to keep this thread alive. Much good info especially for Hornet fans but the die set up can apply to any round you reload.

There is so much knowledge here at RFC it is amazing! Many that posted here are either not with us any longer or are just inactive at RFC. Reading through this thread reminds me of old friends and still great info.

If this stuff interests you take a few minutes and enjoy!
I have to update as well. These days, I am loading 204 Ruger, as well as 222 Remington. All I needed to add was a pair of 204 Wilson dies for loading and a 20 cal. colette for my case trimmer. One fine feature of the RCBS Chargemaster I bought last year is that it will store many different powder loads, so I can get absolute repeatability for each rifle's preferred load. Ain't technology wonderful!
__________________
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
Thomas Paine

Last edited by Onearm; 03-11-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,966
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have never used any of the automatic dispensers of powder. I understand from what I read that they are somewhat like a powder measure in that some powders work better than others and that they might not be .10 accurate with all powder so many people use them to dispense the basic load a little light and then the user trickles remainder in the scale.

With my Redding powder measure if I am loading 22-250 or .243 Win with 760 Win powder it is plenty accurate enough for those rounds to only weigh every tenth load to make sure nothing has changed. Good enough for 1/2 MOA loads in both rifles.

Having said that it does not dispense any powder (even the great flowing LIL Gun or 110/296 (same powder) for loads in the Hornet where a small variation can mean a lot.

Lil Gun is so forgiving you could almost just fill the case to overflow and wipe off the mouth of the load and seat a bullet! I am sure you would still get 3/4 MOA in the CZ with any bullet that is 33 to 40 grains and the bullet was already proven accurate. Problem is my hands shake enough now I would spill some powder from every other round before I could seat a bullet!!

I just can not get by knowing my ammo is not as good as it might be if I weighed it. Maybe if I was loading 2000 plinking or prairie dog loads I might see things differently but I rarely load more than 50 and they are shot for groups. This is also why I could never load the 22 Hornet on a progressive press. My Bonanza Co-Ax is the only press I own.

I have wanted an arbor press for years but never got around to buying one and now it would be hard to get a good one.
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Onearm's Avatar
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2009
Location: 
Tacoma, WA
Posts: 
5,058
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
There is a 204 Ruger Forum, where everyone swears by the Sierra 39 gr. Blitzking. I have bought a box to try out as soon as I use up the 200 Hornady 40 gr. bullets I got for Christmas.

I have also tried two different commercial loads, Remington Premier 40 gr. Accutip and Fiocchi Extrema 32 gr. V-Max. At first I bought 150 of the Fiocchi and was given 20 of the Remington.To my surprise, the much less expensive Fiocchi proved to be more accurate than the Remington at 200 yards. At 300 yards, I was amazed by the Fiocchi. In the end, I bought a total of 300 rounds of the Fiocchi. I have shot the first 150 rounds of the Fiocchi and all of the Remington. I loaded up a few rounds but then went ahead and bought another 150 rounds of the Fiocchi. I will shoot all of that before any more reloading. I am trimming and weighing all of the brass, as I go. The Fiocchi brass seems to be remarkably consistant for being so inexpensive.

Considering that I bought the Fiocchi at $.64 a round, while 204 brass alone, at Midway costs between $.50 and $.83 a round, I feel the very accurate Fiocchi is quite a bargain, especially if I am able to reuse each brass case 5-10 times in reloading as is usual. If I figure I got the cases for $.50 each then I am shooting the 300 rounds at $.16 a pop.

Russ Haydon pointed out to me that ball powder flows more freely in a powder dispenser than stick powder. For that reason, I am comparing Winchester 748 ball powder and H 322 stick powder in my 222 Rem. loads. So far, I cannot see any real difference, as long as I load each powder to the most accurate loads I have derived from load testing. I also tried some IMR 4895 with some success. I actually got my best results in my Ruger No. 1V with that powder, while my best results in the BAT gun are with H-322 or Win. 748.

For 204 Ruger, I still have not settled on any particular powder. I will be just trying everything that I have on hand that has appropriate burn rates.

My arbor press is one that Russ built in his shop. It is somewhat customised for me. I see Midway has a K&M arbor Press for $99.99. That is cheaper than I paid for my press:

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearc...temsPerPage=48

One last comment: I have used a beam balance to remeasure loads that came from my powder dispenser. They have all weighed within .1 gr. As a result, I completely trust the RCBS Chargemaster. It saves time. It is neither right or left handed and I do not need to eyeball anything. I made a battery pack for it and find it very handy at the range. With it and my arbor press, I can set up on any flat surface (out of the rain) and be loading in minutes.
__________________
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,966
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sound good. I have never even seen a .204 shot never mind shooting one myself.

Almost two years ago I traded my only .222, a nice SAKO L46 action with a Apex barrel (no longer in business I think) and a custom stock along with a SIG 220 with 22 lr and 45 ACP top ends for the Ford Explorer I am driving. I loved the SAKO and was growing attached to the SIG but I needed transport and sometimes real life knocks on the door and you have to make choices

I am jealous of your Ruger #1. Always wanted one and never got around to it. Back in the 1970's I got a reputation as one of the best shots on our range outside of L.A. I was often asked to shoot other people's rifles to shoot some groups. One of my older friends was an Englishman that owned and was constantly buying the old English single shots and double rifles. Everything from a .300 Rook to .600 Nitro in centerfire and a couple very nice 22lr Martinis. I fell in love with the sleek falling blocks by H&H, Gibbs, Jefferys and a couple others. Now they would be worth a lot of money so it was a real pleasure to shoot rifles that many people would be afraid to bring to the range even then! Because of that I have always thought the falling block single shot is, in many ways, the ultimate rifle to me. No rifle is prettier that is for sure. Bill Ruger had a knack for picking and designing modern versions of old designs. On the top of that list would be the #1 even though it is much different inside it still looks like a traditional design much like he did with his second handgun design the Single Six.

A few years ago when I might have been able to do something about it a friend sold a #1 in .218 Bee just weeks after I had shot a couple 3/4 MOA groups with it! I was so bummed that I missed that chance. I like the Bee as much as I like the Hornet. Then last year I traded a new .223 barrel for a T/C Contender to my ex brother in law for a 10" octagon .218 barrel and a 14" .30 Herrett. Both came with ammo I loaded for them in 1980!! Some days you miss the bus and some days you get sit in the front row!
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Onearm's Avatar
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2009
Location: 
Tacoma, WA
Posts: 
5,058
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Sound good. I have never even seen a .204 shot never mind shooting one myself.

Almost two years ago I traded my only .222, a nice SAKO L46 action with a Apex barrel (no longer in business I think) and a custom stock along with a SIG 220 with 22 lr and 45 ACP top ends for the Ford Explorer I am driving. I loved the SAKO and was growing attached to the SIG but I needed transport and sometimes real life knocks on the door and you have to make choices

I am jealous of your Ruger #1. Always wanted one and never got around to it. Back in the 1970's I got a reputation as one of the best shots on our range outside of L.A. I was often asked to shoot other people's rifles to shoot some groups. One of my older friends was an Englishman that owned and was constantly buying the old English single shots and double rifles. Everything from a .300 Rook to .600 Nitro in centerfire and a couple very nice 22lr Martinis. I fell in love with the sleek falling blocks by H&H, Gibbs, Jefferys and a couple others. Now they would be worth a lot of money so it was a real pleasure to shoot rifles that many people would be afraid to bring to the range even then! Because of that I have always thought the falling block single shot is, in many ways, the ultimate rifle to me. No rifle is prettier that is for sure. Bill Ruger had a knack for picking and designing modern versions of old designs. On the top of that list would be the #1 even though it is much different inside it still looks like a traditional design much like he did with his second handgun design the Single Six.

A few years ago when I might have been able to do something about it a friend sold a #1 in .218 Bee just weeks after I had shot a couple 3/4 MOA groups with it! I was so bummed that I missed that chance. I like the Bee as much as I like the Hornet. Then last year I traded a new .223 barrel for a T/C Contender to my ex brother in law for a 10" octagon .218 barrel and a 14" .30 Herrett. Both came with ammo I loaded for them in 1980!! Some days you miss the bus and some days you get sit in the front row!
I think I can dig out a 100 yard target I shot with my Ruger No. 1V in 222, where I shot two consecutive groups under 1/2 MOA. If you do research, you will find Ruger never made the 1V in 222 Rem, so I had one made from a 1A by this guy:
http://www.leveractions.com/RugerNo_1.htm

There is a Ruger No. 1V as well as a 1A and a 1B in 204 Ruger. They are pretty expensive but still what is the money for? Neither your kids nor the government need it. Here is the guy who sold me the 1A in 222 Rem that I had converted o a 1V in 222 Rem.:

http://www.classicsportingarms.com/r...fles-for-sale/

The least expensive one he has in 204 Ruger is the 1B. While I prefer the 1V, that is because I never hold a rifle for off hand and therefore the weight only an advantage for me. Otherwise, I would buy the 1B. It shoots pretty much like a 1V with fewer pounds to lift.

Yes, his prices are no bargain but I was completely satisfied with the deal I made with him, when I bought the 1A. I just found myself underwhelmed with the skinny 1A barrel.

My first 1V was in 220 Swift. In a moment of brain fade, I sold it to buy something else. While I do not remember what I bought with the cash, I will always remember the "Swifty". It was super accurate at 200 yards, with a Berger 55 gr. Varmint bullet. It was also the most beautiful rifle I have ever owned:

__________________
Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Vincent's Avatar
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Moderator
Join Date: 
May 2002
Location: 
Middle TN
Posts: 
36,966
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Love those things!!
__________________
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x