Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
New 357 bullet at Missouri .

I've been loading Missouri Bullets 357 Action - Hi Tec 158 gr SWC for a few years now, with very good results. I went to their site today to order another 2,000. and found that they have added a new bullet. It's the same bullet, it still has the crimp groove, but doesn't have the lube groove, which isn't needed anyway with the Hi Tec coating. They call it 357 Action Hi Tec Grooveless.
I gave them a call to ask about them, but there was no one in the office today.
I thought I would call next week, and order some.
But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, if anyone has tried them. I would guess they shoot the same, but may have less leading due to more contact area for the coating.

Any thoughts ?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:58 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Sounds like a good bullet to load for indoor shooting. Will look them up.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:45 PM
forrest r

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You shouldn't have any leading with coated bullets.

It wouldn't hurt to see about getting a small amount of them for testing. The bullets without the lube groove will be shorter than there lube grooved counterparts. That ='s less case volume being used by the bullet seated in the case which ='s less pressure for the same load.

I make my own coated bullets & most of them are from traditional cast bullets with lube grooves. I do use/shoot these bullets that have no lube grooves. On the left are 150gr 30cal (308w) & 70gr 223rem bullets. And on the right are 130gr 9mm bullets. The 9mm bullets were from a lee 6-cavity mold that was a tumble lube tc bullet. I hated the tumble lube grooves in that bullet so I used a .358" reamer and got rid of them.
[IMG][/IMG]

Coated bullets don't need lube grooves or wiper/cleaner grooves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 02:49 PM
LHitchcox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The coated bullets are not appreciably higher than cast bullets, so the coated bullets will be my next shipment of handgun bullets. As soon as I get a couple of bills paid, I will be ordering some in .356, .358, and .452. Keep us posted on your results.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I placed an order online this morning. I ordered a few boxes of the ones that I had been shooting. I also ordered one box of the Grooveless, to try.
The centerfire handgun silhouette shoots will be starting soon, and I have to get stocked up. I'm going to load 1,000 of the grooved, to get me through the season, then I'll load some Groovless to try. So it may be awhile until I get to try them. I'll post my results when I try them.

As far as leading with a coated bullet, it is very little, but there is some.
I clean about every 150 to 200 rounds, and there is very little, but it is there. A few passes with Chore Boy, or Bronze Wool, and its gone.

After trying coated bullets about 3 years ago, I'll never go back to a lubed bullet. I shoot them out of the 357, and the 44 Special.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:35 AM
forrest r

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Odd???
There should be no leading with coated bullets. The bullets are coated and should stay coated.

Some 44spl wc's that were recovered. Thee bullets on the right were under cured, temperature too low when I coated them. But as you casn see the coating stayed on. It's dis-colored only.
[IMG][/IMG]

Other recovered bullets shot in different calibers from anything from mild to wild.
[IMG][/IMG]

Was testing coated bullets in a 308. Not only was I testing for accuracy & velocity. I was also testing the alloy plasticity. You want soft lead for the bullet's nose. Pictured are recovered bullets and the velocities they were shot at. The only way to get the coating off of the bullet is either by scraping the sides of the bullet when they are being seated or when they hit something hard.

That 2300fps recovered bullet pictured above (nose bent over/not shattered like the slower bullets) was a 230gr bullet/50,000+psi load.

Coated bullets don't lead & don't foul the bbl's/firearms. firearms maintain extreme accuracy with high round counts/multiple range sessions. A 200 round range session with a 357/plinking load. The cylinders just started showing signs of dis-coloration.
[IMG][/IMG]

A 500 round range session with a 1911/9mm
[IMG][/IMG]

What the muzzle of that 1911/9mm looked like, the load was a 125gr bullet/1100fps/25,000+psi load.
[IMG][/IMG]

A close-up of the bbl
[IMG][/IMG]

I used 1 wet patch soaked with hoppe's #9 and 1 dry patch to clean that bbl. No brushes, scrubbing, no chore-boy, nothing/nada, just 1 wet patch and 1 dry patch to clean the 1911/9mm bbl after a 500 round range session.
[IMG][/IMG]

If you're getting leading with coated bullets there's something wrong. That the whole point of coating the bullets, namely no exposed lead.