Rifle recommendations for Sporter class? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 PM
walterwhite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rifle recommendations for Sporter class?

I'm thinking about getting involved in Rimfire/small bore .22 Sporter class shooting competitions.

I would appreciate from those experienced and active in this class to recommend rifles at 3 different levels or possibly two, the one main consideration would be the potential to be competitive with a competent shooter pulling the trigger:

High End guns,

Mid Level or Bang for Buck,

Entry Level,

Again any recommendation with a good scope, trigger, and necessary mods would be competitive (especially at local level).

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First, there are 3 different classes in CMP RFS competition ("T" class, "O" class and "tactical" class) so you will 1st need to choose which classes you wish to compete in and that will effect which rifles to choose from. Then you need to decide as to which type of rifle you feel most comfortable with - bolt action or semi auto.

Most of the rifles that you will see at local matches and even at the national level will either be the bolt action CZ rifles (452 and 455 models) or the Ruger 10/22 platforms.

For "O" class a very popular bolt action rifle is the CZ 452 "UltraLux" which has a longer barrel and therefor a longer sight radius. They don't make the 452 "Ultralux" anymore so you would have to find one on the used market. They will usually run between $ 350 -$550 these days. You will need to put about $ 20 into the trigger but you will end up with a gun that can easily compete at the national level. If you go with a Ruger 10/22 platform in this class you will probably want to go with high comb wood stock, a longer barrel, a different trigger and probably a different bolt as well as a decent sight to be really competitive. Besides the cost of the gun a barrel will run you about $ 200-$300, a good top end trigger (Kidd 2 stage) will be $ 300 and a bolt will run you another $ 100 so that should give you an idea of what you are looking at.

For "T" class the same is true as above except that the chosen bolt gun has been a CZ 452 "American" model which are also not made anymore. CZ does make a 455 model American but unfortunately they now make it with a synthetic stock which will probably be too flexible so again the used market would be your best bet. 452 Americans usually run around 400-600 these days. Here is an ad to take a look at.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=332367678

You will only need to put on a scope and rings and $ 20 into the trigger to be competitive at the national level with this gun.

The Ruger 10/22 platform is also super popular in this class. As above - you will need to put some money into it for it to be truly competitive. Usually a barrel ($ 200-300) , trigger ($ 50- $ 300) and bolt ($ 60 - $ 100) are the usual modifications. I would also go with a high comb stock like the Boyd's "Tacticool" stock (which is what I will use this year) which can be picked up for $ 90.

Now the "Tactical" class. You will want to use a Ruger 10/22 platform in an aftermarket AR looking stock. Last years National champion (Our very own Ron V.) uses a Ruger 10/22 in a Nordic chassis which is also what I use in the form of a Ruger SR-22. As above - you will have to put some money into it for it to be competitive but you will end up with an absolute laser that is extremely competitive at the national level. The nice thing about using the Ruger platform is that you can go at your own pace and add one piece at a time.

Here are the modifications that I did to my Ruger "Tactical" gun which is also applicable to the other classes as well as the prices to just give you an idea.

Ruger SR-22 rifle - $ 420
Kidd 16.5 inch "lightweight" barrel in black - $ 200
Kidd scalloped bolt - $ 100
Kidd 2 stage trigger - $ 300
Kidd bolt buffer - $ 5.95
Kidd reciever pin kit - $ 30
Kidd cocking assembly - $ 36
Dave Tubb custom grip - $ 45
Leupold 3 X 9 X 33 Rimfire AO EFR scope - $ 350
Leupold 1/4 MOA target retical and M1 turrets added to scope - $ 200
DNZ forward mount scope base - $ 85
Modified hand guard and scope mount to lighten - $ 50 of machine work

For my "T" class rifle I just pull the barreled action out of my above "Tactical" gun and swap it into a Boyd's "Tacticool" stock and change the scope base and I am off and running without having to buy 2 guns. Only takes a few minutes to make the switch.

If you decide to go the Ruger 10/22 semi auto route you will want to spend a lot of time in this web site. A real candy store and the best in the business IMHO.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/

One last thought for you - Whatever you do - don't scrimp on the optics. Ron V. recommended that I get the Leupold VX II 3 X 9 X 33 Rimfire AO EFR and he was right on the money. The scope is perfect for this sport. I do however like the 1/4 or 1/8 MOA target dot as well as the M1 turrets. With modifications this brings the scope to about $ 550 which aint cheap. Leupold has now come out with their newer model now which is the VX2 instead of the VX II. Another good option is the Nikon 3 X 9 X 33 AO rimfire which is much cheaper at around $ 189.

Also - don't forget to save some out for the extras that you will need.

Things like

1. Shooting mat - http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...oting_Mat.html
2. Spotting scope - http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...ING_SCOPE.html
3. Spotting scope stand - http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...gal_Bipod.html
4. Sling - http://www.mcssl.com/store/turnersad...8f73595b8db0b0
5. Sling swivel - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/139...ing-swivel-set
6. Shooting glove - http://www.workwear1.com/browse.cfm/4,1514.html
7. Extra ammo magazines

Anyway - hope this helps a little and if you have any questions let me know. I'm sure others will chime in shortly also.

Last edited by DavePat; 03-12-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DavePat,

Great info. Sounds like you have a nice rig.

How did you get your Kidd 2-stage adjusted HIGH enough to make the 3# limit? I love my Kidd 2-stage but bought a single stage so I could adjust to about 3.25#.

Any problems (intent of the games) shooting a carbon fiber barrel?

thanks,
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I'm a bolt gun guy so I enjoy competing with my CZ American with Weaver V16. The Ruger 10-22 customs are really popular for CMP sporter so one of these days I"ll get a little lighter barrel for mine and see if my scores improve or not. It'd be nice to have a second rifle set up anyway.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 AM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wksinatl View Post
DavePat,

Great info. Sounds like you have a nice rig.

How did you get your Kidd 2-stage adjusted HIGH enough to make the 3# limit? I love my Kidd 2-stage but bought a single stage so I could adjust to about 3.25#.

Any problems (intent of the games) shooting a carbon fiber barrel?

thanks,
Keith
Keith - Tony Kidd had to make some custom modifications for me to his 2 stage trigger to bring the pull weight up to 1.6 lbs on the 1st stage and 1.5 lbs on the 2nd stage. Because of those mods the trigger is no longer adjustable which is fine by me as I only use the gun for CMP RFS competition. My Kidd 16.5 inch, black, lightweight aluminum sleeved barrel is fine by the CMP and tons of people already use them. I also see tons of the other manufarcturers carbon sleeved barrels at matches also so no problem there either. I had to go with the lightweight barrel as well as trim off half of the handguard to make weight as the Nordic chassis is fairly heavy. I'm just under the 7.5 lbs weight limit right now and am dying for the season to start in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would think you would really appreciate the 2-stage especially in offhand. I just couldn't adjust mine over 2.5lbs.

I just installed my new Kidd single stage trigger, bolt and buffer. While I really like my 2-stage Kidd this is also AWESOME. I adjusted it to 3lb 2oz. I like the trigger blade of the single stage better than my 2-stage (I have the straight and the curved one). I have dealt with Tony and MaryPat for years and they always are good to work with. Shipped the same day I ordered.

My rig:

Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel
Boyd stock
Kidd single stage trigger
Kidd bolt and cocking handle/springs
Leupold Vari-x III 4.5-14x-40mm, duplex
Volquartsen cantilever mount
Brownells 1907 Match Sling
Wolf Match Target
6lbs 11oz without sling

I have all of the other gear from shooting Garand matches and Tactical Matches. I appreciate your sharing your specs and letting me bore you with mine.

Keith

Last edited by wksinatl; 03-27-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM
abrush

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot a Kidd Supergrade in T. The two stage trigger is set up for about 2lbs, 1 lb. Boyds tacticool and Sightron Big Sky 4-16x42 scope. Had to lighten the stock a bit to make weight. I do not see how you could get a better semi auto than this, but it did all add up to about $1200.

Will soon shoot an Anschutz1416L D KL in T too. Want to see if I can work the bolt fast enough.

Took first gold with 10/22 carbine stock barrel, Kidd 2 stage trigger, and leupold vx ii 3-9x33 EFR. You dont need a great barrel, would invest in good trigger and good glass.

For tactical, I'm building an AR upper with a Beyer barrel and a cmmg bcg. Will put that on a service rifle lower I already have. The plan is to use the irons to practice for Service Rifle.

That's how to spend tons. People get gold with 10/22 in a wood stock with a Simmons AO scope, less than $300.

Either way its fun. I enjoy building the hardware almost as much as shooting.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I think a CZ 452 Trainer is the ticket for either open class or with BRNO sights, T class. You can be competitive for less than $500 out the door.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I would think a Marlin 795 with a Boyds Rimfire hunter stock and a trigger job would make a good base. The Nikon 3X9 EFR is a very nice, clear scope for thge price.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwhite View Post
I'm thinking about getting involved in Rimfire/small bore .22 Sporter class shooting competitions.

I would appreciate from those experienced and active in this class to recommend rifles at 3 different levels or possibly two, the one main consideration would be the potential to be competitive with a competent shooter pulling the trigger:

High End guns,

Mid Level or Bang for Buck,

Entry Level,

Again any recommendation with a good scope, trigger, and necessary mods would be competitive (especially at local level).
Lots of good advice given so far. How are your eyes? O class [open, not iron!] will have a lower cost of entry, but if you don't have perfect vision, you won't be competitive in O class. And yes, the T class always gets a higher overall score, that's why they separated them. Personally, I wish it was an "I" class instead of "O," peep sights aren't scopes, but I guess they figured at the short ranges of RFS they're pretty close, so lumped the peeps in with the scopes in "T" class.

You'll spend more time & money on finding the right ammo that your 22 likes then the price difference between the economy & mid-level competitive levels, so I'd say go in cheap and spend the money on ammo: no sense $pending lot$ of coin on a top level rifle only to find you don't like the event as much as you thought you would.

If you like shooting a bolt or lever-action, you'll get a 10 sec longer time for your string of fire, but since this is position shooting & you have to break position to work the action, your score will inevitably be lower than if you fired a semi-auto, despite the shorter time to fire. In some respects, I think it would have made more sense to break RFS into "M" & "S" [manual vs. self-loading] classes than the present "O" & "T", but that's just my personal observation.

So I'd say start small, go w/ an economy semi-auto & telescopic sight until you know if you really want to pay to play w/ the front runners.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Fixed 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
DAVEPAT- very informative post.

I've been looking for info like that on all aspects of .22 competition and that one helps in the 3 position stuff.

Is there a list similar to the one you posted for other aspects of 22 competition?

Again, awesome post!

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fixed 10,
What state are you in? Certain states have disciplines that other states don't. I live in GA.

Keith
Old 05-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Fixed 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cali.

I'm just getting back into shooting comps and am having a hard time finding info on all the disciplines. I know I should just look into whatever someone else is shooting around here, but I want to make sure I am shooting gear that keeps or puts me and my friends into a recognized class. In other words, I'm trying to make sure we are not "doing it wrong"

It would be great to have a pretty detailed list of different classes along with a basic and an advanced rifle for description. Just like what DAVEPAT posted on reply to this thread.

I've done 3 position before. I think I just used a stock 10/22 with a scope and good ammo. Now it seems there's 10/22 tactical (which just needs a AR look?) Which I dont think existed when I was shooting.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:33 PM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DP's description was pretty detailed. I just did a quick search and came up with this:
https://www.google.com/search?source...iw=960&bih=575

This one REALLY looks like fun:
http://www.6mmbr.com/rimfiretactical.html

hope you find your info,
Keith
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM
wksinatl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DavePat,

I am sending in my Kidd 2 stage to have adjusted like yours. I can't imagine a better trigger setup than this. I also don't mind loosing adjustment because this is a dedicated RS rifle. Even if it WASN'T I would be good with those adjustments. I'll use the Kidd single stage and adjust it back down for my iron sight match rifle (not used in RS matches).

Glad you shared your info so i could I could do the same - thanks.

From Mary:
The weight distribution will be 2 pounds on the first and 1 1/4 on the second. Good shooting, MKidd

thanks,
Keith