Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Well, since he just stated he would be using it mainly from a bench, I would go for the heavy barrel.
The heavy might make a difference at a bench perhaps.

But who wants a rifle that can't work in a field to carry?

Okay. So it is all for the bench. I wonder what heavies can do better than a standard heavy with the .22 LR. The Standard is HEAVY ALREADY. In fact, the Anschutz Standard in 54 is heavier than most "heavies" from OTHER brands.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white house View Post
The heavy might make a difference at a bench perhaps.

But who wants a rifle that can't work in a field to carry?

Okay. So it is all for the bench. I wonder what heavies can do better than a standard heavy with the .22 LR. The Standard is HEAVY ALREADY. In fact, the Anschutz Standard in 54 is heavier than most "heavies" from OTHER brands.
Again white house.... he said he wants to shoot from a bench. If you have never shot a bench gun or heavy varmint rig, and I am talking anything over 10lbs, you have no idea. For a bench gun, the heavier the better. Means there is less of a chance any part of your body will move the gun before you squeeze the trigger. If they made a 12lb. heavy sporter, that would be even better, but they don't so the heaviest gun he can get in a sporter configuration will be the most accurate.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
keithrufus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
annie

If you plan to scope it, split the difference and get the 1712. Slightly shorter barrel, mid weight with some taper.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Kimberman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heavy Barrel is better for me.

I like to hunt squirrels with 22 LR's and also like to shoot small bore silhouette. I have three 1710 Meistergrades. The light barrel was my favorite until I tried using the heavy barrel for offhand shooting.

I'm pretty big, 6'2", 240#, and maybe my larger size has a lot to do with my choice, but I prefer the HB for both offhand shooting and still hunting for squirrels. For me, I can hold the HB a lot more steady for an offhand head shot and I don't mind carrying the extra weight.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
long shot
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question AnSCHUTZ PRICE INCREASE

Talked to carl at champion shooters supply two weeks ago he said in a dealers meeting with merkle he was told anschutz rifles would be going up 40% in price inthe next six months carl told them it was not realistic in the united states he was told to live with it !long shot
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Don Stith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many benchrest disciplines have weight classes. You are going to be out gunned in anything but sporter class. There are weight restrictions in sporter class. Look into the rules for matches you wil be attending to see how your rifle will fit in
Don
Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
gkn

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
There is a lot of subjectivity in what feels good for barrel weight. It has been my experience that the more I shoot, the heavier I want my barrel to be. At first my 1710HB felt barrel heavy. Then, after shooting my 2313, with a 27" barrel, the 1710 feels like a whippy little puppy that wants to go flying off at the lightest muscle twitch. Now, carrying it is a different story, of course.

Once again, I point out for shootability purposes, there is a limit on how heavy a gun can be in the rules of most disciplines, not on how light it can be. It is because the heavy rifle gives an "unfair" advantage.

Your experience may vary.
gkn
Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
L84GLF
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the help, guys.

I ordered the 1710D HB, regular stock, thumb safety today from Champions.

I'll post in a new thread after I get it and we see what we have.

Regards,

L84GLF
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Kimberman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations

L84glf
Old 03-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Kimberman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations

Congratulations on your purchase L84GLF.

A few years back the only Anschutz I had was a 1710 MC. I purchased a 1720HB. It's a great offhand shooter, but I didn't like the cost of feeding it. So I went back the next day and got a 1710HB. I also have a 1712, but usually use the 1710HB or a Cooper JSR when I shoot small bore silhouette.

BTW the 1720 is the best 22 mag. shooter that I've ever shot!

My 1710HB shoots 5 shoot 3/8 inch groups at 50 yards with Wolf ME.

I have a few 22 rifles, but everyone of my Anschutz's is my favorite!