Contemplating an Anschutz 54 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:17 PM
L84GLF
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Contemplating an Anschutz 54

This is my first visit to the Anschutz corner. I am a regular on Winchester, S&W, CZ, Remington and am departing Mossberg. I shoot 3 Win. 52's, 1 Rem. 40XB,a CZ 453 American, and a Mauser es340b. All for recreation, I'm past the competitive shooting years.

I have decided to buy an Anschutz 1710 D. I think I want the heavy barrel and the meister grade stock. I am not in a hurry.

Any comments or guidance on what you think of where I am going are welcome, particularly if you can keep me from driving off a cliff.

Thanks for letting me into your corner of the rimfire world.

L84GLF
Old 02-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Nothing better than an Anschutz 54. If you plan to hunt with this rifle, do not get the HB model. They weigh in about 8lbs.

What type of shooting will you be doing??
Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 PM
TerryK

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
For offhand shooting, the standard barrels has better balance in my opinion. If you are paying for meister grade wood, make sure it meets your standards. Some meister grade wood is standard looking. The 1700 series also needs the trigger adjusted a bit, usually the factory sets them pretty mushy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
If you are paying for meister grade wood, make sure it meets your standards. Some meister grade wood is standard looking.
Correct... My Dad just sold back a 1710 HB to Champion Shooters, and the stock was striped from one end to the other, and it WAS NOT meistergrade. Sometimes you can find better wood in a standard model, and not have to pay the premium.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Bad Wolf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I believe that the unpopular flag safety has just been replaced with with a side lever. Might be worth checking which model is being quoted before purchase.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Both are priced the same,both versions still in the pipeline.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
TerryK

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
I believe that the unpopular flag safety has just been replaced with with a side lever. Might be worth checking which model is being quoted before purchase.
For hunting I would prefer the newer safety.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:47 PM
ScoobyDoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Contact Merkel directly. I talked with a sales guy there who was willing to send me photos of a couple rifles after I told him the characteristics of the stock I wanted. Then I had him send it to Hendershots, who sells them at a decent price, then I had Hendershots send it to my local dealer for the transfer. (Sounds far more complicated than it was - my cost was the rifle, shipping from Hendershots to my local dealer and the transfer fee - $1,495+$15+$25 as I recall)

I'm happy with my standard grade and I thought it was as good or better than the meistergrade he showed me. It wasn't worth the extra $300 to me and I'm happy with what I have.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 PM
L84GLF
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to everyone. It is nice to be made to feel welcome.

The rifle I buy will be a bench rest recreational shooter. And, maybe at cocktail time, something of a conversation item.

I still need to unload some stuff ( Mossy 44, Colt 1991, Colt Python 8"? ), but fully intend to have a Anschutz 54 action sporter in my rack. I'm getting close.

Any one have any advice on where to go to purchase (I want new) or where to avoid?

My reaction to advice so far is to forgo the Meister grade, and pursue the heavy barrel.

What say you?

L84GLf

Last edited by L84GLF; 02-28-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Nothing better than an Anschutz 54. If you plan to hunt with this rifle, do not get the HB model. They weigh in about 8lbs.

What type of shooting will you be doing??
I second this. The so called "non heavy" barrel in an Anschutz 54 Sporter is rather much heavier than most "heavy" barrels of other manufactures. The extra weight is NOT needed. The Sporter will be heavier and more accurate than any competitor.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
Correct... My Dad just sold back a 1710 HB to Champion Shooters, and the stock was striped from one end to the other, and it WAS NOT meistergrade. Sometimes you can find better wood in a standard model, and not have to pay the premium.
True. The French Walnut on Anschutz is a gamble no matter what you order in grade. Meister Grade, to me, is a way to get extra dollars for a possible return item.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:49 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Contact Merkel directly. I talked with a sales guy there who was willing to send me photos of a couple rifles after I told him the characteristics of the stock I wanted. Then I had him send it to Hendershots, who sells them at a decent price, then I had Hendershots send it to my local dealer for the transfer. (Sounds far more complicated than it was - my cost was the rifle, shipping from Hendershots to my local dealer and the transfer fee - $1,495+$15+$25 as I recall)

I'm happy with my standard grade and I thought it was as good or better than the meistergrade he showed me. It wasn't worth the extra $300 to me and I'm happy with what I have.
Mine's a Merkel Import. It was ordered as the standard 1730 DKL MC sporter in Hornet. I would get a Hornet in Anschutz before anything else but that is another story.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
For hunting I would prefer the newer safety.
The wing safety is very much different and harder in force to use.

But safeties in rifles are my least concern.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L84GLF View Post
Thanks to everyone. It is nice to be made to feel welcome.

The rifle I buy will be a bench rest recreational shooter. And, maybe at cocktail time, something of a conversation item.

I still need to unload some stuff ( Mossy 44, Colt 1991, Colt Python 8"? ), but fully intend to have a Anschutz 54 action sporter in my rack. I'm getting close.

Any one have any advice on where to go to purchase (I want new) or where to avoid?

My reaction to advice so far is to forgo the Meister grade, and pursue the heavy barrel.

What say you?

L84GLf
No. Do not get the heavy. You will leave it behind in favor of anything lighter. Get the Sporter and do with it what Anschutz proves; accuracy.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white house View Post
I second this. The so called "non heavy" barrel in an Anschutz 54 Sporter is rather much heavier than most "heavy" barrels of other manufactures. The extra weight is NOT needed. The Sporter will be heavier and more accurate than any competitor.

Well, since he just stated he would be using it mainly from a bench, I would go for the heavy barrel.