Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Clayne_b
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to Clayne_b

Thank you MKnarr that makes sence making them shorter then the one below it. ill give that a try.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
gkn

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
It should be a simple proportion, using similar triangles. That is, the ratio of your shim thickness to your distance between rings should be the same as the ratio of the change in point of impact to the target distance. In mathematical terms,

x = dh/r

where x is the change in point of impact,
d is the distance to the target,
h is the shim height,
r is the distance between rings.

For example, using 3600 inches to the target (100 yards),
shim height of .010" (ten thousandths),
4" between rings,
we would have x=(3600)(.010)/4 would yield 9".

gkn
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Shims can be bad news. If you're not careful you can stress the scope with a "kinking" type action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
The problem as pointed out in the latest Rifleman magazine is making the screws "farmer" tight.
Quote:
If you make all the shims the same length, you are sure to pinch the scope. If you make each one a little shorter, you can't pinch the tube IF you don't make the ring screws farmer tight.
I rest my case.

I had some great weather so took the opportunity to give this another shot. Temps in the low 60s with a wind that was bouncing between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock at about 3 mph. Range of 200 yards using a CZ-452 American wearing a Leupold 3-9x33mm EFR and shooting .22LR PMC Match Rifle ammo:

On the first target (bottom left) I was a little low on the elevation setting and some of the shots included in the measure are off the target to the bottom. On the second target (top left) I over-corrected and some of the shots included in the measure are off the target to the top. On the third and final target I had the elevation figured out and all shots are on the target.

The weather conditions were close to ideal so I'm pegging 6" groups at 200 yards (~3 MOA) as the best that can be expected from this shooter with this rifle and using this ammo.

Last edited by Sophia; 01-14-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: to add the rifle model number.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Lastshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is some nice shooting, WOW 200yrds!....I take back everything I said sophia, You definately have some positive attributes about you!...and Im not talking arm wrestling. I love my CZ, I would like to try 200 yrds with mine, but would take a month of sundays to clear 200yrds at my range. My CZ has the best trigger, and best accuracy of all my rifles. Now I just need to get the nut just behing the trigger adjusted and Ill have a good rig.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTSHOT View Post
That is some nice shooting, WOW 200yrds!
Thanks

Quote:
Sophia, I think your targets are very typical of what can realistically be expected at 200 yards. To do a lot better, you need a lot better equipment. No offense to yours please.
None taken. It's a mid-price sporter rifle shooting "good for the price" ammo off a run of the mill Caldwell rest. I think I could tighten the groups up a little bit just by switching to some premium ammo but I was being stingy . As you say, to get much better would take switching to a different rig, which I may do in a subsequent go at it.

I sold my BR gun a while back. This kind of shooting gives me a hankering to replace it but there are other guns ahead of it on the "wants becoming needs" list.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sophia, your 6" group is excellent shooting at 200 yards. The standard 200 yard NRA smallbore target has a 7" 10-ring so if your group were centered, you would have scored a 10 on every shot. It's also obvious that your 452 American is a shooter...... at least with you behind it!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 PM
ShadowChaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sophia, I think that is a great result!!! What amazes me most is that you did it with a 3X-9X scope, I don't think I could see a target that size with a 3X-9X scope at 200 yards...

As my eyes have gained a bit of seniority and become more experienced shall we say and even though I still have 20-20 vision, I shoot mostly at 24X at 25 yards and beyond for target shooting and will be adding a 36X scope to my collection before the month is out.

Great shooting!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Thanks, guys. Chaser, I have one of those 36x scopes too... but I have it backwards: I save it for 50 yard shots (but then those targets are a bit smaller!)
Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
slingshot455

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
We shoot a 200yrd match (200yrd nra target) in the summer on Thursdays at are locak gun clube,and my best is a 99 7x and thats 10 shots (prone) with jacket, sling, and glove with my Anschutz 1813 in a Walther KK300 stock and peep sights (no scopes allowed). We shoot this match to simulate 1000yrd M1 match. Lots of fun until the wind comes.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Joe M
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some very nice shooting Sophia!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Joe M
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot455 View Post
We shoot a 200yrd match (200yrd nra target) in the summer on Thursdays at are locak gun clube,and my best is a 99 7x and thats 10 shots (prone) with jacket, sling, and glove with my Anschutz 1813 in a Walther KK300 stock and peep sights (no scopes allowed). We shoot this match to simulate 1000yrd M1 match. Lots of fun until the wind comes.
Peep sights are very accurate, no doubt about it. Is it the A21 Target, or the Palma target you guys are using? Good shooting for sure!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 PM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

North of Steve & Don, South of Al & Joe, East of Sophia & Swiss, West of Gerald & JEE
TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
remind me to never make Sophia mad.

She'll still be able to get me as I make a quick run from her.

Nice shooting Sophia. I'd love to get out to 200yd and see how bad I suck.

Craig N...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
slingshot455

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Peep sights are very accurate, no doubt about it. Is it the A21 Target, or the Palma target you guys are using? Good shooting for sure!
Not sure if it was the a21 but the bull was about 5 to 7 inches. I think I have the target at work, will look at it and get back.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM
pmullineaux

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am going to put a little fuel on the fire here. I think a 4 inch group is very doable, proly even better. B.c.'s on a 22 round are horrendous, as a matter of fact , some of the things that happen with a 22 rimfire bullet don't even occur in centerfire rounds. I would say that at 200 yds, time is a huge factor, and so is shape of the bullet. I say, to try high velocity bullets, not hyper, ballistic tip if possible, if not that, then solid, fmj points, copper washed. Lastly they should
be boat tail designed. The goal I am thinking here, is to keep the bullets moving as fast as possible, so the wind has less time to act on the bullet, and also the other terrible effects, have less effect, as it moves through the atmosphere.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 PM
ShadowChaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullineaux View Post
I am going to put a little fuel on the fire here. I think a 4 inch group is very doable, proly even better. B.c.'s on a 22 round are horrendous, as a matter of fact , some of the things that happen with a 22 rimfire bullet don't even occur in centerfire rounds. I would say that at 200 yds, time is a huge factor, and so is shape of the bullet. I say, to try high velocity bullets, not hyper, ballistic tip if possible, if not that, then solid, fmj points, copper washed. Lastly they should
be boat tail designed. The goal I am thinking here, is to keep the bullets moving as fast as possible, so the wind has less time to act on the bullet, and also the other terrible effects, have less effect, as it moves through the atmosphere.
But where does one find such ammo for a .22LR rifle?

Good Shooting...