I'm as proficient as I will ever be,,, - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:15 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The troll was and idiot. We should send him some preparation h coupons. I say keep shooting till your on the other side of the grass.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Age does take it's toll, more quickly for some than others. Each person has to decide for themselves (hope that is seen as gender neutral) when it's time to hang it up concerning an activity they enjoy.

I am well into my eighty-third trip around the sun and I bought another gun today. I enjoy shooting. I'm done hunting as my wheel bearings seem to be wearing out but I can still make the hike down to the 200 target boards and back with no problems. As long as I can get around I intend to do what I enjoy no matter how rusty my skills become. Anyone that doesn't like my attitude is welcome to go pound a little sand.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:27 PM
Rimfire5

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you are working toward your own expectations.
I just turned 76 and today I am shooting better than I ever have.
I admit I am a bit anal about maintaining accuracy but I think it helps to overcome the fact that I am getting older.

I keep detailed records of all my sessions and measure all my groups and have been doing that since I started reloading over 50,000 rounds ago.
I have been shooting .223 and 6.5mm Creedmoor rifles this summer and my average group sizes have improved over last year's.
This Saturday I switch over to my .308s for the colder weather.

As someone already mentioned, the lighter calibers shoot more accurately than the heavier calibers, but I still manage to maintain sub-0.4-inch 5-round group averages with my .308s. The .223s are flirting with breaking 0.3 inches and the 6.5mm is about mid-0.3 inches.

I believe we will perform to your expectations. If you think you are losing accuracy, you probably won't pay as much attention. If you work on set-up technique and reloading technique and expect to improve, you probably will.

I don't doubt that I will eventually get too old to shoot as accurately, but I'll be measuring my progress and will still be trying to better last month's results.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up $.02

As long as making a good shot still satisfies I hope to keep shooting (I've already modified my equipment / technique, good shots are fewer but what the hay?)
Old 11-08-2019, 06:41 PM
albinpdx
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your post sure hit home with me also. I'm just a click under 70 now and retired a few months ago. I have always enjoyed shooting and now have the oppurtunity to do it more. I have never been a crack shot nor ever will be.....but I have fun. It reminds me so much of years ago when I golfed. I was soooo competitive that I was obsessed with constant improvement. When you first begin you improve rapidly....and then you run into a brick wall!!! I was so upset with my sudden "lack of improvement" that I even bent more than one golf club over my knee!! I soon realized that this is supposed to be a fun and relaxing sport...one of which I was no longer enjoying. After many chats with myself I adopted a different attitude....why get mad....what I score is what I score....why not have fun doing it. Golf became fun again and my score at the end of the round was the least of my concerns. Had a blast playing for many years after that. Shooting is kind of the same thing with me now. I'm not going to be a great shot but I am going to have fun. I love to tinker and many of the guns I shoot are from the 20's 30's and 40's. If I can make an old $50 clunker shoot a 1" goup at 50 yards I am tickled. I have been able to shoot a few 4's but that is the best I have ever done to date. My eyes have gone south so the increase in my scope magnification is going up. My only competition is myself ...and now my wife. She has started joining me at the range after we retired and she usually outshoots me! That's another story in my "Book of Frustrations". I don't get upset....I love the fact that she joins me...It's all part of having fun. I enjoy hearing her sharing stories with her friends about kicking my butt!! I will get her.....eventually! I am just going to continue having fun along the way. I certainly hope the OP continues to do the same.....enjoying life is what's it's all about. Sometimes we have to make alterations along the way.....that's just part of figuring it all out. I for one don't need anyone to tell me if I'm having fun or not. I know!! Keep shooting!!!!
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't fire a shot from 1982 to 2008. Finances and situations cut it off, and I eventually didn't really miss it. Then came you-know-who in the big white house, and I got back in.

I've been limited to an outdoor Forest Service range that's thirty miles away. So, if I'm lucky, I can go once a month, 7-8 months a year. I'll never get proficient that way, but I enjoy it, and shoot well enough for fun and self defense. Anything under three inches at 50 feet, with a handgun, is great for me.

I just turned 63, and feel fortunate. I have no known "conditions", and no meds. My eyes still test 20/20, though I'm in progressive trifocals. I still know that any day, some medical issue could hit me big. I'll just enjoy things until then.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:48 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i did not - NOT read that as a pity party , i agreed and am living every word of what you said , i think the bottom line is we are accepting who we are /where we are in life/ and what we will do to continue rather than give up ,

i gave up three gun , i shoot SASS/CAS its older person three gun , its also fun with great folks that love to get into the game ,
i have mostly younger friends so ill be shooting a zombie shoot this year with a few of them , i wont compete but then thats really not competition shooting - more speed dumping , but they enjoy it and i will too with them ,
i have friends that shoot IPSC , we will do that and i will just enjoy pulling the trigger and trying to be able ,
i shoot trap leagues and sporting clays - i try to hold my end up best i can - there was a day when "if it flys it dies but im not there anymore" ,

i still like to fish but i hate [cant tolerate the cold] but thats some of the best fishing , i do what i can within my limitations , there comes a point in life when we no longer can - need to know that to avoid the issues that go along with this age , i still stand my ground - i just measure my opponent differently - age makes you look for the easier , safer , way and sometimes , yes , we say no , or avoid the the difficult path down the mountain ,

im good with my age , never thought id live this long , shooting on the 50 rather than the 100 is just as rewarding when you concentrate on your precision from the bench , i too like doing that ,
Old 11-08-2019, 11:03 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A square 10 View Post

i still like to fish but i hate [cant tolerate the cold] but thats some of the best fishing , i do what i can within my limitations ,
I hear you , or the heat . It seems around here , we donít have a fall season anymore. We went from 95+ degree highs two weeks ago to a chance of frost tomorrow morning , with rain in between.
At least when my brother go to the range thereís a cover over our head to shade us from the sunís heat .
Old 11-10-2019, 12:17 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
My advice, FWIW: Stick to reactive targets- metal spinners, eggs, those bullet-absorbtive spinning gopher or crow targets and ignore the paper. A solid "thwack" when the bullet hits and being able to observe the target reaction are, for me, much more satisfying than punching holes in paper. More fun, if you will. I am older than the OP and still enjoy shooting although I never again hope to match the targets in my wall from back in the day.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:16 AM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
I'm as proficient as I will ever be,,,

Aarond
Aarond, this is your Mom. Don't ever say that.

Love Mom
Old 11-10-2019, 04:21 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Shooting / plinking

I turned 69 a couple months ago ,and never was a crack shot but killed my share of tree rats. I don't hunt anymore but do shoot at my cuz's backyard range . He has spinners - dueling tree -gongs and paper targets. We can shoot as many as 300 rds in hour and a half or as few as 50 rds in 4hrs.We don't care if we hit 4 out 6 or 15 out of 20 as long as we best the other by at least 1. We talk about guns , fishing trips and our new ailments / pains what ever. As long as I can pull a trigger I'm going to enjoy my guns.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm 67 and not the man I once was especially with my eyesight. Every day during the winter small game season I carry a .22 rifle out in the woods on my daily walk and shoot about 25 rounds. At sticks, leaves, snowballs or whatever. I miss sometimes but still get a little thrill each time I nail something I aim at. It gets me a little exercise and I get to use one my rifles. Scopes, peeps, open sights, levers, pumps, single shots all get their turn.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:19 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I say, if we're having fun we're doing it right. What some other knothead thinks isn't even a blip on the radar. Try that competition Aaron, you might surprise yourself and if nothing else any trigger time is better than no trigger time!

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old guy.jpg (86.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-10-2019, 11:27 AM
TimberToes

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
You may be "shaky" in normal ever day things now, but with the familiar feel of shooting, I am going to opinion the mind relaxes.. so don't think about anything negative when at the range

PS I am not far behind you, just a few more years to catch up.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Purple Bikerr

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Aarond, a day at the range is better than a day in front of the T.V.

Who cares what others think? I shoot to (hopefully) improve my skills. If the guy next to me shoots better than I do, kudos to him. I want to shoot better than I did last time I went to the range.

As long as you are enjoying yourself, keep shooting.

We all have bad days, then there are those magical days where the gun makes you feel like you are the worlds greatest shot.

You know you aren't, but you feel like you are.

Ignore the troll and go have fun. Kill those spinners!!