Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:58 PM
blackrebel
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Woods bumming

Hello, this is my first post, I've owned a few Ruger MKII standards over the years, and I still own and shoot one often. I've recently picked up my first MKII target model and plan to make it my full time woods companion. I'd like opinions on what upgrades would be good for that. I'm thinking the Volquartsen sear and trigger would make sense, or am I missing something? I won't be target shooting, just critters and targets of opportunity, Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:04 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would polish the sear if anything and leave it alone. The mark II target is a fine field gun.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:19 PM
blackrebel
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd say you are right, I was over thinking it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I would put a few hundred rounds through it first before making any changes to see if you like it as is. If you think some mods are necessary then yes the VQ adjustable trigger & their sear for around $70 total would be all you would need. In fact their triggers are on clearance right now .
Many people don't realize this but the MK II target models come with a trigger that's adjustable for over travel . The trigger needs to be partially removed from the gun but it's easy to take as much of the over travel out as you'd like. If you go this route you may want to consider adding the VQ sear as well for around $30 .
Welcome to RFC by the way ! ....lot's of good info on this forum regarding the MK II hand guns.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:47 PM
blackrebel
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you, I didn't know about the over travel adjustment. I've shot MKII targets belonging to friends and I love them. I've finally found one of my own, now my little standard model will get a little rest.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Fromthelogo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I installed Williams fiber optic sights on mine. Really like them, especially as my eyes age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2019, 06:45 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a VQ sear and trigger on a Mark III and while it was nice,I thought it was too light for a field gun.Even at the range,I had to be careful with it.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:02 PM
blackrebel
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ha-ha, yeah I think I just got dazzled by the possibilities. I've liked all of them I've ever shot and see no real reason to change it, especially for a field gun
Old 11-06-2019, 08:57 PM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am with the leave it alone idea . The Govt target model I have had since they came out is a sweet shooter as it is . Have fun with it . WJR
Old 11-06-2019, 09:05 PM
alnico357
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 1994 MKII Standard. I compared it directly to a Ruger with a big V sear and trigger. There wasn't $0.05 difference.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:48 PM
bilrus61

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via AIM to bilrus61
vq sear

I put a VQ sear and trigger in and it wasnt' that much of a improvement. You can do it if you want but I was like meh. Here are the things that I've done that I like. I got some bright orange fingernail polish and put it on the front sight with a toothpick. Much better in woods light. I got some bocote grips and some cocobolo grips from Esmerelda and they are just wonderful. Nothing like the feel of real hand chequering.
Get you some good subsonic ammo. SG ammo has the RWS sub sonic HP at blowout prices and my mark II loves the stuff. Practice lots and wear ear protection. I shot my 6 inch slabsides at 20 yards over a rest with a scope and it just stackes 'em. I was amazed at how accurate these pistols can be under good conditions with good ammo/scope/rest.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:07 AM
blackrebel
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good advice on the orange paint, I use it on all my pistols. I have the walnut Ruger target grips, but to be honest the plastic stock grips feel better to me. I have a few boxes of sub sonic Eley on hand and a lot of other types of .22. I still have a brick of steel case Russian Surok, but that stuff is to dirty to use in anything I like. Oh yeah on the practice, I shoot nearly every day. I agree with just leave it alone and shoot it, Thanks for all the good opinions.

Last edited by blackrebel; 11-07-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on your MKII Target! If the trigger doesn't bother you, by all means leave it stock. I just can't do it myself, the Volquartsen internals just makes such a difference for me. Also, I added just the Tru-Glo front sight to mine, really helps my 70 some years old eyes.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 AM
blackrebel
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have considered a fiber optic sight, I like the one on my SP101. But I need to use it for a few months to decide what if any changes I'll make. There are tons of good ideas here on this board, I'm trying to read them all.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:00 AM
skwerl58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hunt with one of my Mark II's and have added a VQ adjustable trigger, HiVis front sight and some of the Pachmyr slip on finger groove rubber grips and love it. I agree with the SV ammo but CCI mini mags shoot good in mine also. I have a couple Mark II's with the factory thumb rest grips and enjoy these grips too. For me the most improvement came when I swapped the front sights with the HIViz. Shoot it and enjoy searching your options.