Dry Firing the 457 - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:15 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Lets both hope those at Amazon have rims as thick as what's in the photo. I say this partly because I need to order some very soon myself. I can't answer if they'll function in CZ magazines, but I know the cheaply made ones I have will cycle with only one loaded in the mag. Maybe others here have a better idea? Based on one review at Amazon, I would never try them in a tube fed rifle. Lol
Old 10-14-2019, 10:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LoneWolf
Thanks for the link. I just ordered some. If they aren't the correct ones (changed style).
I need wall anchors anyway. Win win here.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:00 PM
ELR_Researcher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR_Researcher View Post
I went to Home Depot this AM and what they had shown on their website as in stock at the local store (the image is an exact match to the Hillman image on Amazon) was not Hillman and the rims were much thinner. So I came home and ordered the Hillman off Amazon. Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

BTW, possibly wishful thinking, can the Hillman anchors be used in the CZ mag, full stack? Thanks.
Following up on my last post...received the Hillman yesterday and they do NOT match the photo (on Amazon or the Hillman site), to my eye about one-half the rim thickness.

While they seem to work OK, they will NOT feed out of my 457 MTR mag.

So much for wishful thinking times 2.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:15 PM
LoneWolfSS454

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On the bright side, you have 100 of them to run thru (many times each), but it is disappointing they are not like they appear in the photo on Amazon. I hope this is just due to the camera/lens used as certain ones do distort images badly, verses an attempt at deception.
Have you tried feeding with just one in magazine? Some of the anchors I have will feed (one in the mag only), others won't at all.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:41 PM
ELR_Researcher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfSS454 View Post
On the bright side, you have 100 of them to run thru (many times each), but it is disappointing they are not like they appear in the photo on Amazon. I hope this is just due to the camera/lens used as certain ones do distort images badly, verses an attempt at deception.
Have you tried feeding with just one in magazine? Some of the anchors I have will feed (one in the mag only), others won't at all.
Actually, I ordered and received two boxes of 100 - so they will last me twice as long.

I have not tried feeding just one out of the mag...but that would defeat the reason for using the mag in the first place (multiple uses, one after the other, without fusing with each). Its much easier to insert one at a time right on top of my CZ single-shot mag block, though I think I had better try to insert directly into the chamber to avoid a build-up of plastic shavings.

Anyway, no big expense, just the disappointment.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:29 AM
Popeye1959
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
I always hold the trigger depressed while closing bolt guns "never cocking them in the first place" no need to de-cock by dry firing.
But that doesn't help when someone is practicing by dry firing as the OP stated he was doing.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never mind, why bother ....
Old 11-03-2019, 09:12 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingwax View Post
I dry fire a lot.

I contacted CZ and asked them. I immediately got a response that dry firing any rimfire was bad because it would 'damage the chamber'.

My conclusion is that dry firing the cz with nothing is probably fine.
I'm just going to throw a bit of foam in there and go to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Never mind, why bother ....
Old 11-05-2019, 09:38 AM
MDrimfirerookie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my practice routing is based around building non traditional shooting positions on unsteady barricades for NRL22 type matches. my biggest problem is building that position quickly and steadily. i am able to "load" 2 anchors in the standard 10 round mags, practice building my position quickly and then getting off 2 shots. they feed with no issues.

lather rinse repeat to build the muscle memory. i have tried 3 and that works as well but much more than that and they don't feed correctly.