Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Magnum440

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Am I missing out?

So I was out shooting my 1407 Anschutz, and as great as it shoots, I swapped to my Model 37 and was instantly reminded how much I truly appreciate it. The (me modified) trigger, the loading, the feel, how fantastic it shoots - it exudes class. I've never shot or even held a 52 (A-Z) or a 40X. Am I missing out on anything?

It's hard not to be biased as I searched long and hard for a nice 37, but curious if there's any reason to broaden my vintage target 22 horizons? -not like I need one!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 PM
SBS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
IMO, find yourself a nice 52C and you'll have the same kind of class act with as much attention paid to detail by the factory. I own both and also the 40X. While the 40X is very accurate, the receiver was designed for centerfires and lacks some of the feel and function of a target rifle designed especially for rimfire, such as the 37, 52 and 54. Hard to go wrong with any of them. Opinions will certainly vary and usually considerably by owners of just one target rifle who thinks his is the best model ever made.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:02 AM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
" . . . am I missing out? . . . "

Philosophically, maybe yes . . . but probably not much.

The Remington 37 stacked up real well vs its true contemporaries.

As production of the 37 wrapped up, other rifles like the 40X, the Winchester 52 C,D,E series, and finally
the Anschutz 54 series would be introduced and then continue to be 'improved'.

Triggers were modified for very low weight pulls, stocks became adjustable for a wider range of fit,
support for mounting modern optics was added, and repeating capabilities dropped.

The 40X and Winchester receivers would provide the raw materials for custom gunsmiths
to start building benchrest guns.

As a rimfire omnivore, I own at least one of the rifles mentioned in your post,
and I try to enjoy each for their (sometimes subtle) differences.

But I have found that if I really like a certain rifle to begin with, adding the 'brand X' version of that
rifle doesn't change my original opinion.

Accuracy is where you find it, so if you have a good shooting 37, it should keep up with,
if not exceed, a typical example of one of the 'newer' vintage target rifles.

If you've modified your trigger with a lower pull weight, that should make shooting small groups easier.

If you have or put a decent power Unertl scope on it, you can certainly see exactly what
you're shooting at (with the expense of some extra weight).

The stock as-is fits me fine, so there's not a ton of room for improvement there
(despite the efforts of lots of previous owners ).

A good Remington 37 is a first class vintage target rifle.

FWIW, the Remington 37 is my favorite.

Good Luck!

Don

Last edited by NVaVettes; 11-03-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 08:30 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having owned and shot off the bench (and some in club competition) the Anschutz 54, Remington 37, Remington 40X, Winchester 52B, 52C, 52D, and 52E, I will say that all are capable of being someone's favorite rifle. It depends a lot on your particular example as to it's accuracy potential, and all have a strong following. But if you like these kinds of rifles you owe it to yourself to try as many as you care to collect.

At this point, I'm in a downsizing mode for my gun collection, and I no longer own the 54 heavy (a 1411), the 37, or the 40XB. The 52C was sold before I really came to appreciate these guns....wish I still had it....it was a bull barrel. With me accuracy and "shootability" off the bench is the #1 deciding factor on whether a gun stays with me and I've never owned a 52 that didn't shoot well. So I still have the 52B, 52D, and the 52E guns....all quiet accurate for factory guns. We just finished our club matches for the year, and I managed to average 249 on the IR 50/50 target shooting the E. The 40XB was sold to a friend who uses it in club competition and it does quiet well. The 37 was a beautiful gun with an aftermarket trigger, but it proved to be the least accurate of the bunch. The 54 was very, very accurate....with peep sights. For some reason, I never got it to perform with any scope I tried on it...go figure. I really liked the 37 other than the mediocre accuracy. I would like to have kept it.

I would recommending keeping your 37....but why not expand your horizons a bit and try some of the others? If they prove unsatisfactory, you can always sell and move on.

For what it's worth.....

James
Old 11-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Magnum440

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. My motivation comes from wanting to hear why you love what you do, from a group that sees similarly, at least in part - and helped confirm my desire to own a Model 37 to begin with. Plus I wanted something new to read in the 37/40X forum. 🙂

I'm thinking a Win 52 C-E may be in my future, considering all your comments. I lean towards an E if funds allow, from what I hear. Also thinking an early 40-X, and even a 540X, may be fun. I do already have a tough time deciding what goes to the range and want to really know one gun well, yet there are so many cool choices, it makes it tough! Nice problem, I suppose.

Anyway, am enjoying the replies. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I love 22's. I have owned several 52 Bs and Cs. Several 40X's, several Springfield M2's and various other quality 22's. I had about 30 of them at one time. Everyone of them are good guns. I slowly started selling them off after chronographing and accuracy tests. I only have bout 15 or so 22's now with several sporters. I love them all.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:50 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
To be a .22 collector you need a collection!

Instead of reading about them I like to experience them...Tom
Old 11-04-2019, 06:49 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 40XB was shot in a natch on the 2nd of November for the first time since 1996. The previous match was a full sized Palma course at Fort Wolters, Texas.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Balvar24

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I like my 40x's better than the 37 or the 52D.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:25 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I like my 40x's better than the 37 or the 52D.
I come to the same conclusion. That is why I sold most all of my other target rifles.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:00 PM
wwace

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have 3 Model 37s a 40X
a pre A 52
a 52A
a 52B
2 52 Cs, one is a Bull
a 52D
2 52Es
and a whole bunch of others, Martinis, CZs, model 75s, 68 &69. I enjoy all of them but the 37s are extremely well made and for that era likely had a slight advantage to the 52s until the 52C was introduced which I find to be a very fine gun also.The 52E is another step up the evolutionary food chain in my opinion.

If you can afford it why not. I don't do any competition I just try to shoot each gun to my limit of accuracy and hopefully its limit.