It's about time! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:53 PM
headspaced
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It's about time!

This year, after consulting the solunar tables, a gypsy lady who hangs around Bob's Grill, and an old friend who believes in Sasquatches and inter galactic time travel, I have limited my squirrel hunting to mid day. Hitting the woods about 11 a.m. and quitting when ever I feel like it, I've been surprisingly successful! The problem is that Senior Squirrels apparently keep the same hours as Senior Squirrel Hunters. It's good that they move slower and present bigger targets. It's a detractor that some of them are old enough to vote. One I shot today bears a strong resemblance to my parole officer's Boxer guard dog Fritz. Anyway, my guardian has been experimenting with innovative ways to render these things edible. She's doing one at a time. Do any of you have any tips?
Old 10-31-2019, 05:56 PM
SquirrelDown

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I work alot of short days at work where I get off around 11-noon and I have seen a ton of squirrels around that time.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2019, 06:53 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My father-in-law loved watching the sasquatch hunters on TV, if he was still alive he would probably love to talk to the guy at the bar. Anyway, I have hunted plenty in mid day and the squirrels still come out especially as the weather is starting to shift into late fall.
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 07:05 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headspaced View Post
Anyway, my guardian has been experimenting with innovative ways to render these things edible. She's doing one at a time. Do any of you have any tips?
headspaced:

Tell her to par boil the old ones with a bit of bay leaf and then fry em. The other alternative is squirrel soup in which case I would pressure cook em with some bay leaf and then start the stock however she likes. These are two of the ways my great Aunt could turn boot leather squirrels into something very much better.

There ya go......
Old 10-31-2019, 07:11 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
HOw to cook a monster buck stagasaurous squirrel............

Clean squirrel, remove skin using Pool Que eight ball under skin and attach rope to bumper of 1 ton truck. 3/4 ton can be used in a pinch.

Accelerate slowly such as to prevent removing flesh from carcass with skin. Set skin aside for later tanning for fur coat for wifey.

Cut squirrel carcass into 1/8th using chainsaw, axe, or appropriate sized cleaver.

Throw squirrel parts into keg with top removed, add vinegar, honey, molasses, and appropriate alcoholic beverage and set in sun. scour cabinets for whatever seasoning is available and dump in keg. Set in sun for a couple days to marinate and tenderize.

Get a nice oak roaring fire going and let die down so that there is a beautiful bed of coals. Set squirrel parts on grill on campfire. Pour shots of jack daniels while turning squirrel parts frequently. Baste with dredges from keg, remove flies first.

Grill until golden brown and offer first piece to younger brother who imbibed in the jack daniels a little too much. Be careful because he can projectile vomit twenty yards (confirmed).

Order pizza from local pub.

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 10-31-2019, 08:09 PM
headspaced

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No help Crankster. My younger brother is 13. too young to drink.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:20 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
This year, after consulting the solunar tables, a gypsy lady who hangs around Bob's Grill, and an old friend who believes in Sasquatches and inter galactic time travel, I have limited my squirrel hunting to mid day. Hitting the woods about 11 a.m. and quitting when ever I feel like it, I've been surprisingly successful! The problem is that Senior Squirrels apparently keep the same hours as Senior Squirrel Hunters. It's good that they move slower and present bigger targets. It's a detractor that some of them are old enough to vote. One I shot today bears a strong resemblance to my parole officer's Boxer guard dog Fritz. Anyway, my guardian has been experimenting with innovative ways to render these things edible. She's doing one at a time. Do any of you have any tips?
Put them in water overnight in Freg , next day take them out of water put some black pepper on them then coat with flour put in skillet with oil or crisco fry until start turning brown ,pour out some of the oil them carefully add water to skillet turn heat down some then cook for one hour make sure you keep water in skillet. Will be the best squirrel you ever tasted will remind you of dumplins.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:25 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Big old ones I pressure cook then use the meat to make squirrel pot pie.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:46 PM
bandit1250

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
This is the best way to make the squirrels very tender even if they are Senior Squirrels. Cold packing them you will never get a tough one. Senior or junior.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:17 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Shifty View Post
Put them in water overnight in Freg (refrigerator), ... snip ...
I think you mean salt water? Typical procedure for rabbit.

I never ate squirrel, so; speculation: Anything will be tender and tasty after enough time boiling in tomato sauce for spaghetti & squirrel.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:17 AM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I think you mean salt water? Typical procedure for rabbit.

I never ate squirrel, so; speculation: Anything will be tender and tasty after enough time boiling in tomato sauce for spaghetti & squirrel.
No i don't add salt to the soaking water.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:55 AM
rhanks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Place squirrel pieces in pressure cooker. Cook for 4 minutes after pressure has built up. They are now ready to prepare for frying, stew, or whatever you prefer.

Last edited by rhanks; 11-01-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:18 AM
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I usually cook my tough ones this way. Cut em up. Put in a camp dutch oven with taters, onions, celery and whatever else I want. Cook outside camp style for about two hours and they fall off the bone.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 AM
wjritchie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't eat squirrel in my part of the country . When I lived in Virginia we would pressure cook and shred with a fork to make pulled squirrel Barbecue . Some slaw and a good roll . Yum WJR
Old 11-01-2019, 03:34 PM
ricky9x22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
Clean squirrel, remove skin using Pool Que eight ball under skin and attach rope to bumper of 1 ton truck. 3/4 ton can be used in a pinch.

Accelerate slowly such as to prevent removing flesh from carcass with skin. Set skin aside for later tanning for fur coat for wifey.

Cut squirrel carcass into 1/8th using chainsaw, axe, or appropriate sized cleaver.

Throw squirrel parts into keg with top removed, add vinegar, honey, molasses, and appropriate alcoholic beverage and set in sun. scour cabinets for whatever seasoning is available and dump in keg. Set in sun for a couple days to marinate and tenderize.

Get a nice oak roaring fire going and let die down so that there is a beautiful bed of coals. Set squirrel parts on grill on campfire. Pour shots of jack daniels while turning squirrel parts frequently. Baste with dredges from keg, remove flies first.

Grill until golden brown and offer first piece to younger brother who imbibed in the jack daniels a little too much. Be careful because he can projectile vomit twenty yards (confirmed).

Order pizza from local pub.

Regards,
Crankster
That's just pure funny right there! I wish I could trick my younger brother into that, cause I would be all over it to get him to eat/try it...
Rick