Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossbergman View Post
Sooner or later luck runs out Glad i don't hunt with you.Not say'n you u n safe but stuff happens even ti best of us. ~~JMJ~~
Sir I guess you did not read all of my post because I said if I was hunting with others then I do use the safety...can you tell me in your personal life how many firearms you have been around where the firearm went off by itself ????

You just said that you would not hunt with me meaning I was unsafe...true hunters are aware of everything around them...game, the area behind the area they are shooting towards, other hunters if they are there and the main thing is the safety between your ears...if you don't think about every thing you do out there you should pick a new hobby.

I might suggest you go and re read what I said. The statement that stuff happens...it is just like driving a car...accidents happen right...sounds normal...I have been driving for over 40 years and I never ran into anybody else...it's only when your head is up where it should not be...that stuff happens. Just like hunting or using firearms. Your head has to be in the right place...all the time. I personally don't accept the statement that stuff happens...firearm accidents are because people are stupid and don't have there head in the game....checking safeties, putting your finger in the trigger guard when they should not be...not aware of where the firearm is pointing at all times...little stuff like that and if you do believe that stuff does happen then I don't want to be there anyway...my life and the life of others do matter to me.

So I think about what I am doing when dealing with firearms and cars and everything else I do. Now about luck it has nothing to do with safety...I don't rely on it for anything...people make things happen and if you are trusting your life on luck...why don't you drive down the freeway at 5 pm with your eyes closed for say 30 seconds and see how luck is going to save you.

We all have to think about safety no matter what we are doing...driving cars, working on the roof, hunting/shooting or just walking around your house.

Signalman
Old 10-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
... I said if I was hunting with others then I do use the safety...
I mean no disrespect by the following. It presents a paradox which is curious.

When hunting by yourself you don't have the safety on, but when hunting with others you do. Why do you use the safety when others are with you?

I can think of three possible answers. One is that you feel less safe about your firearm when hunting in the company of others. Another is that you do so only to placate them, that is you're giving them a sop to a kind of safety practice -- using the safety mechanism -- in which you don't believe. A third possibility is that others invariably won't hunt with someone who refuses to use a safety.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:15 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Just a general observation related to safety, use of the safety device, carrying with a loaded chamber, and such....

One thing that I've realized over the past few years is that if you hunt long enough, you WILL eventually trip and fall with a gun in your hand, tangle your foot in briars or vines and stumble into a thicket, or experience some other similar mishap. The day will come when all doesn't go as planned with balance and control, and our balance and agility doesn't work as well as it once did. And this realization often comes in the form of an unpleasant surprise after we've hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. Hopefully we don't have a gun in our hand when it happens. But if we do, the more safety precautions, the better.

I like to think I practice good safety, but I'm sure I need to improve and be even more cautious...

Last edited by I6turbo; 10-25-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:24 PM
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well said turbo.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:11 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
Just a general observation related to safety, use of the safety device, carrying with a loaded chamber, and such....

One thing that I've realized over the past few years is that if you hunt long enough, you WILL eventually trip and fall with a gun in your hand, tangle your foot in briars or vines and stumble into a thicket, or experience some other similar mishap. The day will come when all doesn't go as planned with balance and control, and our balance and agility doesn't work as well as it once did. And this realization often comes in the form of an unpleasant surprise after we've hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. Hopefully we don't have a gun in our hand when it happens. But if we do, the more safety precautions, the better.

I like to think I practice good safety, but I'm sure I need to improve and be even more cautious...
Old 10-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Antonio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Due to the steep rocky terrain we hunt at I only load a round into the chamber of my 455FS while raising the rifle to the shoulder with a properly identified target. Sounds odd but that's how I've grown used to. With semiautos always safety on , but that's another story.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:33 AM
cactusjack
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I hunt with an empty chamber and a loaded magazine. Safety's can go south, although highly improbable, and one can make a mistake thinking the safety is on when it is not. How much time does it take to work the action to put a round in the chamber? I hunt small game and have never been in a situation where I did not have time to work the action. The empty chamber/loaded magazine or clip is the best safety aside from what is between the ears, IMO.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post

If you follow a bird dog around for any length of time, slipping or falling down will happen to you probably at least once a season, depending on how much you get out. That has been my experience while chasing pheasant, grouse, and woodcock. I have had a couple unplanned falls while deer hunting too. Chamber loaded, safety on, always with muzzle awareness.

Regarding carrying with an empty chamber: For a couple seasons I was helping a youngster try to get his first deer. Since I wanted him to get a deer I carried my .22 on our outings and I carried it magazine loaded, chamber empty and decocked. I still never pointed the muzzle in his direction. Once, we disturbed a grouse while walking back to the truck, but it stayed on the ground while walking away. I racked the bolt, shot and that grouse came home with us. Not saying it would always happen like that, but...
Old 10-26-2019, 07:54 PM
Low Key
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I have observed more than a dozen neglect discharges by experienced shooters--in the field, at the range, putting a shotgun in a vehicle, and in a highway patrol office. All would have been prevented if the chambers were empty.

Last edited by Low Key; 10-26-2019 at 10:58 PM.