Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:27 AM
KMO
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ultra Dot HD-Micro?

One of my red dot sights has given up the ghost, so that has set a rotation in motion at my place. I'm left with finding a new red dot for my SS Mark III Hunter. Has anyone tried the Ultra Dot HD-Micro? I like Ultra Dot products, and this Micro model seems a good size fit for a pistol. I just haven't heard much feedback about it. Anyone? If not this red dot, than what others? I'm all ears at the moment...
Old 09-28-2019, 08:45 AM

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Hello KMO

One of my fellow bullseye competitors got one and it failed on him after being mounted on a 45. He returned it and the replacement failed as well. decided that his 45 and the ultra dot micro were not meant to be together.

If you are looking for a good micro dot at a economical price, I have a couple that I can recommend. I run a bullseye team and often get new shooters with cheap new red dots that are frustrated because they are having problems that are caused by the failings of their red dot.

Before you select a red dot, you need to decide if you want a rotary brightness knob or a pushbutton electronic brightness control. If you want the pushbutton I can recommend the following:

Holosun, any model (they got a bunch of them and I am not sure what the difference is.)
Sig Romeo 5
Nikon micro dot.

If you want a rotary brightness knob, I have found the following to deliver excellent performance:

Sig Tac 081 (out of production but available on ebay)
Primary arms

I especially like the Sig Tac 081 (or is it the 082?) for the simple reason that the brightness rotary control is located on the left side, which is easier to adjust while you are holding the firearm with your right hand.

Personally, I prefer the rotary knobs because I have shut off the red dot using pushbuttons when trying to adjust the brightness one click. If this happened during competition between strings it could be a serious problem. .

More to come.

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 09-28-2019, 08:50 AM
KMO

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Ultra Dot Interest Fading Fast...

The Sig Romeo 5 is one I've also had my eye on, as well as the Burris Fastfire III reflex sight. I think I've quickly lost interest in the Ultra Dot Micro after some other similar feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 08:52 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Used to like the regular ultra dots.........

but I have three ultra dot match dot II that the negative magnification was driving me nuts... so I began switching to the micro red dots. One of the problems with the micro red dots is that they do not have any sun shades or the provisions to add sunshades that are off the shelf.

There are some aftermarket sun shades available but I have found that they are not long enough for when you have a range that is situated east west and the sun is setting directly over your target............

IF you measure the outer rings of your micro dot, you will probably get a measurement of 29 or 30 mm. I have ordered carbon fiber tubing off ebay and cut it to size to place over the ends of the micro dot, making a nice sun shade.

One thing is that when I cut it to size and trim the carbon fiber tubing up square, I first install it with rubber cement to give it a test to see if I like it or if it needs a bit of adjusting. the rubber cement is easily removed. super glue is used for the permanent installation.

Not sure where I got this idea from but I should probably do a thread on making sunshades when I get a chance.

Regards,
Crankster

Last edited by crankythunder; 09-28-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: misspellings added to verify authorship by engineer.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:31 AM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
but I have three ultra dot match dot II that the negative magnification was driving me nuts... so I began switching to the micro red dots. One of the problems with the micro red dots is that they do not have any sun shades or the provisions to add sunshades that are off the shelf.

There are some aftermarket sun shades available but I have found that they are not long enough for when you have a range that is situated east west and the sun is setting directly over your target............

IF you measure the outer rings of your micro dot, you will probably get a measurement of 29 or 30 mm. I have ordered carbon fiber tubing off ebay and cut it to size to place over the ends of the micro dot, making a nice sun shade.

One thing is that when I cut it to size and trim the carbon fiber tubing up square, I first install it with rubber cement to give it a test to see if I like it or if it needs a bit of adjusting. the rubber cement is easily removed. super glue is used for the permanent installation.

Not sure where I got this idea from but I should probably do a thread on making sunshades when I get a chance.

Regards,
Crankster
Good info.

I would have never thought of that.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:24 PM
KMO

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I posed the same question on another forum simultaneously with this thread, and the Burris FastFire III is getting one recommendation after another for use with the Mark III, I think I'm about convinced to go with it...
Old 09-30-2019, 07:44 PM
zeroM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MK III - Red dot - Vortex Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
One of my fellow bullseye competitors got one and it failed on him after being mounted on a 45. He returned it and the replacement failed as well. decided that his 45 and the ultra dot micro were not meant to be together.

If you are looking for a good micro dot at a economical price, I have a couple that I can recommend. I run a bullseye team and often get new shooters with cheap new red dots that are frustrated because they are having problems that are caused by the failings of their red dot.

Before you select a red dot, you need to decide if you want a rotary brightness knob or a pushbutton electronic brightness control. If you want the pushbutton I can recommend the following:

Holosun, any model (they got a bunch of them and I am not sure what the difference is.)
Sig Romeo 5
Nikon micro dot.

If you want a rotary brightness knob, I have found the following to deliver excellent performance:

Sig Tac 081 (out of production but available on ebay)
Primary arms

I especially like the Sig Tac 081 (or is it the 082?) for the simple reason that the brightness rotary control is located on the left side, which is easier to adjust while you are holding the firearm with your right hand.

Personally, I prefer the rotary knobs because I have shut off the red dot using pushbuttons when trying to adjust the brightness one click. If this happened during competition between strings it could be a serious problem. .

More to come.
Do you have any experience with the Vortex Viper 3MOA. I really like mine...but it is the push button type (up,down/off). I hear a lot of good recommendations on the Burris Fast Fire III.

Something I didn't consider, or notice until recently was the sun shade... Where I shoot is under a roof so I hadn't had that issue yet. (I believe all the ranges have a "no sky" policy now, at least in this area). There is no sun shade. But Vortex warranty already paid for itself (for something that was my fault). I mailed the old one in, and they just sent me a new one in about a week.

One other point.. I'm not sure if the Vortex Viper has an auto-off (or when the cover is put on). Something to consider on whichever, and always carry a backup battery in your bag :-)
Old 09-30-2019, 08:08 PM
KMO

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
I hear a lot of good recommendations on the Burris Fast Fire III.
I have a FastFire II on a Mini-14 rifle, and it's been a steady performer for some time now. With all of the positive feedback I'm getting about the FastFire III, I'm leaning pretty far that direction right now...
Old 09-30-2019, 08:25 PM
zeroM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
I have a FastFire II on a Mini-14 rifle, and it's been a steady performer for some time now. With all of the positive feedback I'm getting about the FastFire III, I'm leaning pretty far that direction right now...
For target, I would recommend the 3 MOA and not the 8 MOA. Please, give a range report once you take it out.

I really like a red dot on the MK III. I have a Leupold scope for it as well, but its a little too heavy for me free hand. The red dot is hardly noticeable in the weight category. Now, if I could just get the dot to dance a little less..

Good luck and happy shooting...
Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 PM
KMO

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Please, give a range report once you take it out.
I'm on the road, so give me a couple of weeks...
Old 10-01-2019, 12:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
You asked about the vortex venom and burris fast fire

I have had experience with both and own a Burris Fast Fire three which is mounted on one of the barrels for my model 41.

First off, I recommend a tube style red dot for bullseye use, the bullseye shooter uses the frame of the tube to line up the shot for timed and rapid fire (at least that is what I think). The reflex sight takes a bit longer to find the dot in timed and rapid fire. Now for the IDPA and other shoot and scoot competitions, the reflex sight has less of a frame cluttering up the sight picture and is a better choice for those applications.

I have set up a couple vortex venom and with each of them, I was surprised at the amount of slop in the elevation and windage adjustements. If I remember correctly, there was six clicks of slop in elevation and three or four in windage. It is not a problem if you are going to get it zeroed and never adjust it but for us bullseye shooters who are shooting at various ranges and need to adjust our sights it is a big issue.

I have not seen any slop in any of the burris fast fires that I have set up. The one that I have on my 41 takes a special screwdriver to adjust the elevation and it is still working really good.

Both of these are the push button brightness adjustment and there are a limited amount of settings for brightness (three on the Burris Fast Fire, think that there is three on the venom). Personally, I need more adjustments because the Burris is either too bright or not bright enough whenever I use it. I am constantly switching between the second and third setting. Do not know if the cover turns the unit off because I lost that a long time ago.

Regards,
Crankster

Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 AM
jm10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have 2 Ultra Dot HD-Micro - no trouble with either one of them but they are mounted on 22.

I have several ultra dots and really like all of them but the regular 1" tube red dots are hard to beat. They have been around long time and used on everything. Now available in 2 moa dot or 4.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_004.htm

http://www.ultradotusa.com/index.html