Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:42 PM
athappyhiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got me a steal on a MKIII Hunter PICS

Had lusted after the long-barreled Ruger Hunter MKIIIs for years but never could stomach the $600+ price tags. Stopped in at my local Cabelas today and found this gem; this Hunter didn't have a single scratch, mar or speck of dirt on or in it. Tag said 6.5" barrel, but it measures breach face to muzzle a bit longer than that. Picked it up (with two mags) for $379. While I know the MKIVs are much easier take down, have ambi safety, and don't have the stupid loaded chamber indicator, I just couldn't pass this up at this price and figure I can live with the MKIII quirks. Took it to the range and got a great surprise; the trigger is definitely NOT factory stock; it's been replaced with a custom trigger and it is SWEET. Very light and crisp. Also looks to have an after market extended bolt release (which I'm hoping won't interfere with a nice leather holster for MKIIIs). Ran 200 rounds of MiniMag LRN and HP through it with zero failures. The below target is 40 rounds at 10 yards standing off-hand. Even took it home and did my first disassembly/cleaning/reassembly with zero problems.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:02 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd say you got a great deal, especially given how well it, and you, shoots.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:19 PM
athappyhiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
I'd say you got a great deal, especially given how well it, and you, shoots.
Thanks. I think so (about the gun, not my abilities LOL). In addition to the replacement trigger and bolt release, the prior owner also had the key lock removed and the magazine safety disconnect removed (it will fire with mag removed now).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 05:44 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Way to go, Sir! I bought mine a few years ago and paid around $550 for it- and it was worth every penny. You got a really GREAT deal!!!
Mine came with rosewood grips with the Ruger eagle logo. I have huge paws so I added VQ grips & mounted an Ultradot U25 on it. Mine is very accurate, Certainly capable of better groups than the 3MOA dot size can produce. I
Often shoot mine at my NRA smallbore silhouette swinger targets set up at 40, 60, 77 & 100m for rifle practice.

Mine also measures over the factory claim of 6.5”.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:05 PM
athappyhiker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Way to go, Sir! I bought mine a few years ago and paid around $550 for it- and it was worth every penny. You got a really GREAT deal!!!
Mine came with rosewood grips with the Ruger eagle logo. I have huge paws so I added VQ grips & mounted an Ultradot U25 on it. Mine is very accurate, Certainly capable of better groups than the 3MOA dot size can produce. I
Often shoot mine at my NRA smallbore silhouette swinger targets set up at 40, 60, 77 & 100m for rifle practice.

Mine also measures over the factory claim of 6.5”.
DrGunner - see that you have a long barrel BuckMark also. HOw do they compare? I have a 5.5" BuckMark from the early 1990s with a red dot mounted. Love how crisp the Browning factory triggers are.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:41 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by athappyhiker View Post
DrGunner - see that you have a long barrel BuckMark also. HOw do they compare? I have a 5.5" BuckMark from the early 1990s with a red dot mounted. Love how crisp the Browning factory triggers are.
Accuracy wise, the two are equal and outstanding. I’ve had many .22 pistols through the years, and only kept 4. The first is an old S&W 622, a decent plinker on it’s best day, I hang on to it for nostalgia, it was the first pistol I walked in and purchased as a young man without a parental cosign. Two you see pictured and #4 is a Sig- Hämmerli Trailside. All three are outstanding, culled from perhaps a dozen others that were sold as sub-par.

Funny you mention the trigger. My Buckmark has an excellent trigger, just over 2 pounds with a Heggis flip and breaks like glass. It took quite a bit of work and parts swapping to get the Ruger trigger to equal it, it’s drilled and tapped for an over travel screw, has a VQ hammer, sear and bushings.

How’s the trigger on yours?

DrGunner