Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:00 AM
hamden
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Sell the IZH. It's more obsolete than you want if you ever need a part.

The Nelson on a good lower is very target worthy in the highest circles.
If you want a 45 too, switch uppers. It's no big deal. A good 3.5 pound or 4 pound trigger is better than a bad 2 pound trigger. If you are serious, a good smith should do the trigger.

If you just want a good 22 target, just get a good Ruger Mark 2. There again a good trigger by a smith is best.
There are many options for Ruger. Some you will hate. Some you will love.

Admittedly I come from a precision target point of view. I don't just plink.

Last edited by hamden; 05-21-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM
trotterlg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You will spend a lot of money tricking out a 1911 to get anywhere close to the abilities of the IZH 35M. It is purpose built gun made for exactly what you are wanting to use it for. Parts are around and most are available from Walther for the KSP 200 which is a cleaned up IZH. Same parts just looks better. And, those IZH magazines hold 6 rounds not 5. The gun can be dry fired but the stop that is built into the firing pin to keep it from hitting the chamber face is the main cause of the breach hammering that causes doubles, don't dry fire it on purpose. Larry

Last edited by trotterlg; 06-18-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:33 PM
keherrington
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Started out with IZH-35, now shoot Marvel

In 2005 when I got back into Bullseye after a 25 year hiatus, I used an IZH-35. After about a year of indoor 50' gallery shooting I dumped it for a High Standard and never looked back. Over the next two years I tried a variety of guns but finally settled on a Marvel Precision Unit 1 on a Rock River Arms purpose built lower and an Ultradot with a 4 MOA dot. Shot that particular combination until I got out of Bullseye again in 2014 due to medical issues, which fortunately are now resolved. Just bought another Marvel, this time with a Frerking Custom Works lower. Frerking bought Marvel a couple of years ago and built me one beautiful gun. Bought the upper on eBay and saved a bunch of bucks, then had Travis Frerking do the lower. Shot it in a match for the first time last week and was VERY pleased with its performance. Mine, not so much. I just don't see myself shooting anything else regardless of price.
Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reduced a.jpg (110.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Reduced b.jpg (106.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-24-2019, 04:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have the Nelson kit, which I have used on a Springfield TRP frame and on a custom Caspian frame. The Nelson kit is very, very accurate -- equal to my Model 41 at the distances I shoot. For me, it's a keeper.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:25 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W 10rd magazine conversion:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rim...t=405783&amp=1

You can do whatever you want, obviously. But if it was me I'd keep the IZH-35M. They're really nice and as you say, getting harder to find. I have two now, and my friends are all in a line to be the first to buy if I ever tire of them.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:15 AM
lawboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I own a dedicated pistol built on a Nelson and two dedicated pistols built on Marvels. I owned and competed with an izh35M until the breach face peened and it started slam firing. The 1911s are so different from the Russian pistol that I don't think it is a switch you can make for the sake of convenience. You have to figure out if the Nelson will work for you as a competition gun.
Keep the IZH35M and buy the Nelson. Shoot both at least until you are confident which will work best for you. Then put the one that is not going to be a match gun in the back of the safe and keep it. Selling the IZH would be a mistake and it would not be easy to undo.