Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:17 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser

Range Time = I have sat next to Gents with Annie's and 1 Suhl and out-shot them with my KIDD rifles and KIDD/Ruger combos.... but they are modified and tuned. So, yes it's do-able.. For those that can't/won't assemble their own and tune them the only off the rack so-to-speak 10/22 variant that will be competitive is KIDD.

And then there is the variable of the Nut or Goober behind the Bang switch. I shot the Annies of my Competitors better than their owners... and yes they fell in love with MY Rifles after a few mags.. and are now owners of KIDD goods.

Now... as to the action/headspace/no lock up... find a video or dozen of slow motion 10/22's being fired.. you will soon see how much movement/bouce that bolt has.. the importance of a trued/worked/pinned/headspaced & radiused rear re-worked by CPC or a great aftermarket such as KIDD comes into play big time... in tandem with a aftermarket handle/rod/spring assembly they can/do run like a well oiled sewing machine.. and be consistent/efficient.

Last edited by Chaser; 03-28-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:33 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would be interested in getting a bolt lock and testing the difference on a known good 10/22 and seeing the results between "open/locked".
Old 03-28-2019, 01:59 PM
spider
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Well, my original question was whether a competitive semi could be designed, not whether current versions, including custom, are competitive. But I am curious, how close does a Joe Chacon build come?
Old 03-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I would be interested in getting a bolt lock and testing the difference on a known good 10/22 and seeing the results between "open/locked".
It tried it.. just reached under/around the stock with my left hand then hooked around the handle with my thumb/palm up and held it shut while launching CCI Std. Vel. - 10 rounds with it locked up..cycling by hand every shot.. could see no appreciable difference at 50 yds. ... and yes it was a tad awkward. Monkey humpin' a football.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Well, my original question was whether a competitive semi could be designed, not whether current versions, including custom, are competitive. But I am curious, how close does a Joe Chacon build come?
Don't own anything from Chacon.. he's a nice Gent and does some nice work.. we have exchanged PM's in the past... but I have not seen anything from Gents that run his tuners that my Full Blown all KIDD rifles won't do. I say this to all my friends, fam. and clients.. you can spend more money and make it more difficult/convoluted or just buy a KIDD rifle and be forever happy/competitive.. your call.

Last edited by Chaser; 03-28-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:06 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
With the bolt gun options availible why would you bother??
You missed the question all together!!!
Old 03-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Evelio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SPIDER
I own a TURBO, and a 2500X full top of the line benchrest rifles, and every once in a while I have been beat by a Chacon 10/22 benchrest rifle shooting IR50 or ARA matches, I also own 3 Chacon build 10/22 that will beat many custom benchrest rifles all the time. They are extremely accurate rifles, and very competitive specially the full benchrest version.
The A.B.R.A. organization which is owned by Joe Chacon have just started a new classification called Outlaw rifle, which consist of any unlimited benchrest rifle shooting the same target as the semi. auto.
We will soon find out which one prevails.
Evelio.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 PM
spider
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Now that sounds exciting. I hope somebody lets us all know here on RFC how that turns out.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:02 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bolt actions are intrinsically more accurate for all the reasons mentioned. (solid lock up)

Semi autos are easier to shoot small groups with! The reason, is the shooter never loses his cheek weld, never has to move his hand to cycle the action, never loses his target in the scope, etc. You just lock in, and bang, bang, bang, bang, bang. With a bolt gun, the shooter has to be consistent enough to start from scratch on every shot, and still put it exactly where it needs to go.

Many right handers who shoot groups with bolt action rifles, actually choose to use a LEFT handed gun. This way, their right hand never moves as their unused left hand works the bolt and they are able to stay on target without having to start over every shot. Almost as easy as shooting a semi-auto! Many custom target rifles have a left handed bolt with a right handed eject!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:31 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am in the bolt gun camp for accuracy, probably because I learned to shoot with a Win 52 D in ROTC smallbore.

I wonder if a semi auto could be made with a bolt with more than one guide rod or equivalent why it could not be made to seat the cartridge with the same degree of squareness to bolt face/ chamber face. I have to say my rifles, with Kidd bolts and guide rods shoot well at 25 to 50 yards, there is still a lot of slop with the bolt in the receiver(Ruger). If it were not for that nice rotary magazine there could be room for more bolt guidance on the bottom of the bolt, to aid in keeping things square.