Rough inside receiver - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Xane

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Sorry your image just got newly ambushed by the "more modern history" of Photobucket's "pay $400 to show" policy, sno.

Check into using Imgur as an option, or click on the "paperclip" symbol when the RFC "post reply" window opens up to get that trigger group to show again.

It would be interesting to see you get that 10/22 running again

Last edited by Xane; 03-24-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:06 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoplop View Post
This thread gives me faith in humanity again.
Long story short - a good friend has a 10/22 that has seen better days. I offered several times to 'fix it up' for him.

I've 4 of em and the pile of old parts to show for it. Not an expert by any stretch but I can cobble one together as good as the next guy.
Keep in mind he owns a farm and this has weathered a transition from his first nutria/opossum/skunk critter getter gun to a farm tool.

Last time we swung by he mentioned wanting to use it but he cant get it to shoot. Asked if I would fix it. How hard can it be?..its a 10/22 after all.

Story is- his son and a buddy were using it and it got left on the top of the truck when they went to town. (They noticed it when it flew off going around corner and busted the stock in half.)
They bought another stock. I now have it and took it apart.

The galling and dull tooling from 1974 fit in perfectly its clean appearance BTW. The others I have dealt with have some flaws but nothing like this one.

Then noticed the firing pin was bent? And there is an indentation or reflection of the bolt (apparently it was locked open when it flew off the truck) inside the top of the receiver.
Hence why I was happy to find this thread with any ideas on how I could straighten this mess out and if I should take the ..bolt divot out..and how much to clean it up.

I should have taken a picture of it also but have been feverishly cleaning and ordering parts since I got into it.
Glad I am not the only one out there wondering how the heck to clean up the receiver.
I am replacing everything but the receiver housing and the trigger housing (after they get cerakoted).
Even the original mag is crap. Hard to give up on the old beast after all it has been through.
are you talking this pic?...'cause I can see it!

ETA: here's a copy of it from my Imgur

Last edited by crackedcornish; 03-24-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:14 PM
Xane

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, cc. Thanks. It showed on my browser yesterday, but today I just got the Photobucket 3rd Party Hosting image instead, so I figured snoplop hadn't posted an image lately, and they caught up to him.. I'll check my settings out and see if the last update affected the workaround.

Last edited by Xane; 04-07-2018 at 01:38 AM. Reason: typ-0
Old 03-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Snoplop
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks-
Just registered on imgur and will start using it instead.
Anything to get away from photobucket.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Iowa Fox
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Some of the receivers currently in production have a rough surface under the overspray... Looks like a kid did sand casting...

DrG
And the only place the factory Ruger receivers are in spec is on top of the roughness. Knock the tops down and you open the dimensions on an already sloppy receiver.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Snoplop
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I polished the interior just enough to remove the 'clatter of railroad tracks' sound when the bolt hit its marker on the upper surface. You can still make out the faint imprint of the locked open bolt. I also addressed the bulges around the scope mount screw holes after this picture was taken. Tried not to remove any more material than necessary. I couldn't find absolute numbers on material removal. Be interested to know if there is a +/- no go number on material removal.

The receiver & trigger housing have now been Cerakoted inside and out. The additional thousandths or two of thickness covered the imperfections completely and should make up for material removal. It looks better but haven't had the opportunity to do a functional check or sight in.
If its operation is less than desirable I'll cobble the old barrel and parts back together and double down with a new receiver. Make the old parts into a farm truck gun and new pieces into a more desirable second rifle.

Last edited by Snoplop; 04-03-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
My bet is that will run like a well oiled sewing machine and be very accurate. I have several just like it.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:05 AM
Snoplop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
My bet is that will run like a well oiled sewing machine and be very accurate. I have several just like it.
Well..'sigh'..now I am really screwed. Runs like a top (so far) and shoots bug holes at 50 yards.
Gave me the rimfire bug again and ordered another 2k of CCI Standard and some target ammo - not sure where my stockpile of standard went to..
Now my daughter wants hers just like this one....and I want my own fixed up more. Soon as my wife and son get a turn my financial fate is sealed.
This is going to cost me dearly.
(Remember I am fixing this up for a buddy.) I haven't said a thing about it to him yet. Maybe when he sees it he won't want it...
Old 04-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
yeah, you're screwed. What I hate is when I build up a gun for my brother in law or my cousin, and then it all turns out better than my own.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:48 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Spent some time last night doing some of this work. Still could use a better touch up. Might try the Mother's Polish, as mentioned by others to smooth the aluminum.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:14 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Hey T... don't sweat it... as long as ya spent 15-20 minutes on it I bet it's enough.. does not take too much and the more you take off the sloppier it will run.. smooth is good.. beyond that fuget about it. I fold a CrotchBrite pad and apply some CLP then run it back and forth maybe 20 times... wipe it out .. apply some more CLP and run 15-20 more times.. clean it all out.. done... finish with Hornady One Shot Dry Lube and let it dry.. do NOT wipe.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoplop View Post
Well..'sigh'..now I am really screwed. Runs like a top (so far) and shoots bug holes at 50 yards.
Gave me the rimfire bug again and ordered another 2k of CCI Standard and some target ammo - not sure where my stockpile of standard went to..
Now my daughter wants hers just like this one....and I want my own fixed up more. Soon as my wife and son get a turn my financial fate is sealed.
This is going to cost me dearly.
(Remember I am fixing this up for a buddy.) I haven't said a thing about it to him yet. Maybe when he sees it he won't want it...
Well done Just like your roasted wallet