GM Barrel and new stock build questions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Rick59
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
GM Barrel and new stock build questions

Hi guys ,I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Bull barrel and Magpul Hunter stock for my 2014 10/22, As far as working on the rifle and replacing parts I've done everything except remove the barrel.Any thing special I need to know ?
I normally shoot 25 or 50 yds but would like to go further,I already have an optic as well.
I haven't decided whether to go with the 16 or 18" barrel any suggestions? will there be a huge accuracy difference?.any opinions on the magpull hunter stock?
I saw somewhere that sometimes guys have ended up heating the reciever and freezing the barrel.Any input will be great.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heating and freezing are for putting a barrel in. Freeze the barrel , tha steel shrinks , heat the receiver,makes The aluminum expand. So for a nano second the receiver hole is bigger and the barrel shank is smaller, insert quickly! Don’t burn your hand

But once they are together, can’t get the one hot and the other cold. So if you want to you can heat the whole thing up , cause aluminum expands faster than steel.

Take out your bolt and charging handle, remove v block screw. apply some lube , heat if you want. Then take a big rubber mallet. And holding the barrel slide the mallet down the barrel and hit the receiver sternly. Alternate sides and it will pop off. Be careful just a little bit at a time, and make sure the receiver doesn’t fly across the room on the last blow. Some people use a padded Vice to hold the barrel.

To insert barrel just the opposite, except now you cane use the freeze and heat, and you are banging on the back of the receiver. Line up the extractor cut befor you start, and this time if no Vice put the muzzel on a piece of carpet or pad or card board . About half way in , put the v block in place, cause it’s I bite to get it in after the barrels already in. I like to do it so I can see into the receiver, so I can see that the extractor cut isn’t rotating.and hold the v block in place with my thumb.

It’s really not that hard to do, just keep the extractor cut in place so you won’t have to try and twist the barrel , another bite, or take it out to start over again. I use the bolt in the receiver to see that it fine , and then take it out before banging on the receiver.. you want that extractor sitting in the middle of the cut when you are done.

Forgot about the 18 vs 18 vs 20 inch question. No intrinsic accuracy difference. So buy the one you want. A good barrel shoots good, I just bought a 28 inch barrel, cause , it’s different. As to the magpul hunter stock, I don’t have one of those, yet, but I have their TD stock and it’s well made and I like the high cheek comb for the scope. So why not?

Last edited by Toomany22s; 03-06-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:21 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shouldn't see any accuracy difference between a 16 or 18". A little weight difference of course. I got the 18" years ago, but just for the way it looks in a stock with a little more barrel poking out the end. The looks were the only factor in my decision at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Rick59

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Info Thank You
Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick59 View Post
Great Info Thank You
You are very welcome. The best deals I have found on GM barrels are at Rimfire Sports. Shiping included in the price which is lower than GM s price before shipping.

And for other parts S&P outfitters , where you get 5% off with code RFC, $6 shipping per order, no matter how big. They have stripped receivers, stocks, pins screws, etc.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rimfire sports is a good outfit. Think about heavy taper barrels as well.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Rick59

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
You are very welcome. The best deals I have found on GM barrels are at Rimfire Sports. Shiping included in the price which is lower than GM s price before shipping.

And for other parts S&P outfitters , where you get 5% off with code RFC, $6 shipping per order, no matter how big. They have stripped receivers, stocks, pins screws, etc.
Thanks,I did end up ordering the barrel from Rimfite sports