First ever lever rifle - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:48 AM
Popeye1959
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First ever lever rifle

My wife and I were looking at lever rifles in .22LR. We stopped at a Bass Pro Shops and saw the Golden Boy. Neither of us liked how it shouldered and she said she didn't care for how the BL-22 they had, looked. Not many stores have .22LR lever rifles in stock around here. I did some research and read the H001 and the Golden Boy stocks have different drops to them. I took a chance and ordered the H001 from a local gun shop and picked it up yesterday. It shoulders much nicer than the Golden Boy did. Now, I don't know if the spousal unit will like it or not. Worst case (best case) scenario is she doesn't like it and I get to keep it for myself. Watched the Henry website videos on disassembly and cleaning and took it apart and cleaned the manufacturing oils and a bunch of metal chips and shavings and reassembled it. Hoping to go to the range today or tomorrow with it. Here is a before disassembly photo. The good news is after reassembly, it looks the same.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:19 PM
billsch8
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations! You'll find it to be a great little gun. Smooth action, fun to shoot and pretty accurate. I started with the H001 and now have the the Carbine (H001L), the Frontier, the Pump, the Evil Roy and a Golden Boy! Watch out, they're like Lays potato chips......................you just can't have one!

BTW I also have a Browning BL and a Marlin 39A, but I like my Henrys way more!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Popeye1959
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It was shooting 4" left and 6" low at 25 yards but the windage was easy to fix. Now with elevation I'm either 1.5" high or 1.5" low depending on which step of the slider the rear sight is on. I wish the paint on the receiver was a little more durable too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Flynmoose

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I had the receiver cover on my Brooklyn H001 Cerakoted after several attempts at painting it. It looks great and seems very durable.
FM
Old 08-31-2018, 06:53 PM
Popeye1959

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I may consider that, IF, it can be done to look exactly like the original finish.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:45 PM
Flynmoose

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Mine has a flat black finish and looks better to me than peeling paint. There may be gloss finishes available if you check. I wouldn't have gone to the expense if I didn't want to keep the rifle.
FM
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Where ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynmoose View Post
Mine has a flat black finish and looks better to me than peeling paint. There may be gloss finishes available if you check. I wouldn't have gone to the expense if I didn't want to keep the rifle.

FM
Where do you get the cerakote done?

The piece right under the receiver cover is what I am asking about......the piece the receiver is connected to. Did you leave it shiny?
Old 09-01-2018, 12:30 AM
Flynmoose

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
Where do you get the cerakote done?

The piece right under the receiver cover is what I am asking about......the piece the receiver is connected to. Did you leave it shiny?
I had the receiver cover coated, the rest is still a gloss finish. I just wanted the cover to stay one color, looks good to me. The work was done at
baysidecustomgunworks.net. He does all manner of custom work and does it well. He is located in Wyoming.
FM
Old 09-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Hagar61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Popeye1959 my partner has a Golden Boy which she shoots and I have a HOO1T that I shoot. We have the same issue that I cannot shoulder the Golden Boy comfortably and she cannot shoulder my HOO1T comfortably due to the stock drop so you are not the only one to experience this issue. The HOO1 should fit you both comfortably by trying the Golden Boy initially....enjoy!
Old 09-01-2018, 09:04 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
I got my 001 back in 2011 and there was a man who worked for Henry selling gold receiver covers and barrel bands. I was fortunate enough to get one. That took care of the paint issue.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 AM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye1959 View Post
It was shooting 4" left and 6" low at 25 yards but the windage was easy to fix. Now with elevation I'm either 1.5" high or 1.5" low depending on which step of the slider the rear sight is on. I wish the paint on the receiver was a little more durable too.
I can't tell in the pic but if your rear sight is the buckhorn type, you can raise the little leaf in it by loosening the tiny screw. I have a carbine an long barrel Frontier an the Frontier has the buckhorn but the carbine does not. You could also put a peep sight on it. I put a William's WGSR on my Frontier an it's even more accurate. Have fun shooting your new gun!
Old 09-06-2018, 12:36 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Roadrat, I like your rifle!
Old 09-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Roadrat, I like your rifle!
Thank you. There were a group of us who got them. I have no idea how many Henry made available but it was a one-time deal.

It does stand out !!!
Old 09-06-2018, 02:40 PM
Popeye1959

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I googled it and can't find one at all.