CZ 455 Varmint vs Tacticool stock check weld? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:45 PM
*bigstone

TPC Rating: 
95% (18)
CZ 455 Varmint vs Tacticool stock check weld?

I held both a Varmint and a Tacticool 455 rifles a week ago and thought they both had identical rise as far as the cheek weld was concerned. I thought I would find the tacticool to be higher. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:11 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
The pro Varmint & Tacticool are the same shape AFAIK.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:14 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a CZ455 tacticool and still wound up putting an adjustable kydex cheekrest to get a proper cheek weld. Very similar to karstens:

http://www.karstenskydexcheekrest.co...e-cheek-pieces

I would not have drilled out a nicely finished wood stock to do this, but the boyd's black tacticool stock I had no qualms drilling it. Couple guys I shoot leagues with have the CZ455 varmint with the nice stock but they use the fabric cheek pads with straps:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod31707.aspx
https://blackhawk.com/products/long-...cal-cheek-pad/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 PM
EddieE

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would get a boyd's with the built in riser. I have it and love it.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:59 PM
wolfshoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
I would get a boyd's with the built in riser. I have it and love it.
That would be the best solution! Is that available on a factory rifle or only as an aftermarket stock?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 PM
*bigstone

TPC Rating: 
95% (18)
It's good to know that both stock have the same Cheek weld. Now the question becomes do I want to spring for a tacticool rifle or just boyd's adjustable riser. . I really want the look of the longer barrel.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:50 PM
EddieE

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfshoon View Post
That would be the best solution! Is that available on a factory rifle or only as an aftermarket stock?
Aftermarket from Boyd's. I think about $190. Makes a world of difference for me. It is the most comfortable stock I have ever used.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bigstone View Post
It's good to know that both stock have the same Cheek weld. Now the question becomes do I want to spring for a tacticool rifle or just boyd's adjustable riser. . I really want the look of the longer barrel.
I think the boyd's stock is all show and no go. I bought the tacticool for a threaded barrel for my 'cans. I wanted the varmint profile barrel and not the american. Two range buddies bought 455 varmints and I just can't get over how good those stocks look.

On the flip side, I had ZERO qualms about painting my stock and dinging it up. Its no show-piece for sure. If I could get the 20" barrel, with the walnut stock, and threaded, that'd be my rifle. I could do it with the 24" barrel, but that'd be 29" of barrel once I added my can.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:58 PM
wolfshoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
On the flip side, I had ZERO qualms about painting my stock and dinging it up. Its no show-piece for sure.
Yea, that is one thing I find very liberating about that rifle as it has taken a lot of abuse at matches and I don't care if it gets scratched at all I've all ready painted the stock twice, second time with cerakote in OD and it is getting ready for a graphics coat in a PRS trainer theme. I've got somewhere between 6-7k rounds through it and it one of my favorite rifles to grab for fun plinking besides match work.

Kind of like having an old beater truck that you don't care about door dings or scratches.