Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which mail order outfit for Ammo ?

14K views 92 replies 70 participants last post by  only1harry 
#1 ·
Hi folks.
Who do you guys use for ammo purchase.
I'm practicing, so I'm going through a lot of cartridges a week.
I understand that there is only 1 way to save money , which is not to spend it in the first place :) , but ; apart from that , who do you suggest for mail order of CCI SV 22 LR ?
I've been using Target Sports in CT and they ship for free with bulk. 4k rounds. Which is great but they are always out of stock.
Also have been using Academy in GA. They ship for free but limit to 500 rounds, which is odd. 500 rounds is at this point a little more than a weeks shooting.
Any better options out there ?
Want to have some ammo on hand for when my state bans mail order, which is coming pretty soon we think. New governor soon. Different deal.
Ideas ?

#2 ·
New Jersey? You have my deepest sympathy. No good local sources? Sometimes a LGS will add a quantity to their own order, to help a customer. Big boxes won't.

I've never bought online, just lucky to find what I need on a shelf, with a little dilligence. The gas and time may have cost me more than the shipping would have. But, it's in my hand undamaged, and not spilled loose all in the shipping box, which I've heard too much of. I now maybe have more than I'll live to shoot.

#3 ·
I keep my eye on Gunbroker. I just bought 500 rounds of 17wsm for $115 plus $15 shipping. As for as the limits at Academy sports you can order 500 the next day if you like and the shipping is free. And about that free shipping, if you are a regular customer of theirs you know you get what you pay for. Not very often I get an order from them that doesn't have broken boxes and shells rolling around in the box. The outfit I just bought the wsm from is nickolsoutfitter.com You actually get to talk to someone and ask how they pack.

#7 ·
I just received an order from Academy yesterday. It was wrapped in cling plastic inside a well packed box. Slightly compressed on one end though. Gets tossed around by FedEx.
With 22 cal beating up the primer can be a problem.
Have another order in with them for some 38 sp and more 22 . We'll see how it goes.

#5 ·
Instead of picking a company randomly I use this: https://www.wikiarms.com/group/22LR...RealTimeBanner&utm_campaign=Tactical+Republic

You can search on the exact ammo you're looking for.

Then I click on the sites I'm considering, put the ammo I want in the cart and see how much they charge for shipping.

The frustrating thing is that shipping charges vary so much. For example, sometimes two bricks cost $17 to ship but 3 are only $1 more. So you really have to play around to find the best deal.

#64 · (Edited)
Yes they do. On May 13 I ordered 525 packs of Golden Bullets limit 3. Placed my order and went back and order 500 rd. boxes of Federal Limit 3. Received a day apart. Nicely wrapped and no damage. Free shipping. I think I could have continued to order other brands but nearly 3100 rounds along with what I already had. Each order was $94.14.

Local WalMart is beginning to stock 22 again. Guess the hoarding has slowed down. In there the other day and they had 7 1400 rd. buckets for just under $74.
I do shop the websites mentioned that have multiple companies posted.

#33 ·
This has to do with some agreement that was done around the time they became a business. I'm trying to remember exactly how it was explained to me about 17 years ago - but if I remember correctly, it has to do with sales tax.

As for online ordering - sgammo, natchez, wideners, grafs, aim, midwest shooting supply, target sports, cdnn, sportsmans guide (especially with their "coupons"), and classic firearms are ones that have been good to order from in my experience (and not necessarily in the order I typed them out).

#32 ·
I use http://www.gunbot.net/ for my internet ammo searches.

Several years ago Anthony Imperato suggested this to me when I was having difficulty finding .22 Magnum ammo for my Henry lever action. There are a lot of retailers listed, and the site says it posts near realtime tracking of who has ammo. But what I really like is that the ammo price is broken down and shows you the "price-per-round," too. That helps. Of course, I do the battle of the shipping like everyone does.

#71 ·
I like the Aguila ammo but its a bit higher velocity than the CCI SV, so thus far I've stuck with that . Lots of folks say that the CCI is the better choice but thus far I don't really see much of a difference apart from the 100 fps velocity rating on the Aguila.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.