New Henry Introduced - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2005
Location: 
Rhode Island
Posts: 
5,089
TPC Rating: 
86% (9)
New Henry Introduced



Log in to see fewer ads
.

FWIW

HRA has introduced what they term a "Garden Gun" - their .22LR lever action repeater with a smooth bore:

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/gar...smoothbore-22/

.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 AM
SquirrelPilot

Join Date: 
Jan 2010
Posts: 
219
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great idea! Marlin once made a Garden Gun for .22 WMR shotshells only. I like the black ash furniture on the Henry.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2019, 11:23 AM
rc.

Join Date: 
Feb 2003
Location: 
ca
Posts: 
3,858
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The problem I have with 22 shotshells is the payload is pathetic. Out of a rifled barrel, bird shot can barely kill a bird inside 10 yards. Grampa in his last year would just load shorts in his rifle to help grandma with her garden gophers I don't think he could miss at garden ranges. rc
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-29-2019, 03:34 PM
BWstickman

Join Date: 
Jul 2012
Location: 
SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 
1,298
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Itís a smooth bore Iím sure it will shoot pretty decent at 20 yards and under
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2019, 03:39 PM
STEEL SHOOTER's Avatar
STEEL SHOOTER is online now
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Apr 2010
Location: 
ks
Posts: 
894
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smoothbore

I'm looking forward to a range report
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2019, 05:29 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2017
Location: 
Nowhere good
Posts: 
1,119
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good on Henry! Something new!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2019, 08:06 PM
Cowpokey's Avatar
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2016
Location: 
Bel Air, MD
Posts: 
327
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pretty cool!

https://youtu.be/stuL6O-duVg
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2019, 06:38 PM
KR20
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2005
Location: 
Arizona
Posts: 
4
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=143090

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYVgG18x8qI
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2019, 06:32 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Jul 2010
Location: 
Illinois
Posts: 
3,812
TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
The problem I have with 22 shotshells is the payload is pathetic. Out of a rifled barrel, bird shot can barely kill a bird inside 10 yards. Grampa in his last year would just load shorts in his rifle to help grandma with her garden gophers I don't think he could miss at garden ranges. rc
Exactly why I went to the 9mm rf, a quantum leap above the 22.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
4,837
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 22 shot is specifically for little mice,etc and in side an out building and not chew up the framing. And real close. This is a lot of money to buy a gun just for that. If the 22 shot is a joke unless you understand the extremely limited use. The 410 can be had in light enough load to hit small birds outside. You dont shoot a 410, point blank at a target inches away. The 22 you can take a pretty close shot and worse case is not so risky. Not an emergency room, paper work, risky.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Kiteman72's Avatar
Kiteman72

Join Date: 
Jun 2012
Location: 
Nebraska
Posts: 
882
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've said before that I would never buy another Henry, but I'm almost certainly going to try one of these out.

When I'm shooting carpenter bees with my Savage smoothbore singe shot, I have often longed for a repeater that didn't require me to pry empties out with my pocketknife's screwdriver.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-06-2019, 10:59 PM
Kiteman72's Avatar
Kiteman72

Join Date: 
Jun 2012
Location: 
Nebraska
Posts: 
882
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pretty Sweet

Alrighty, I picked up a Garden Gun at the gun show yesterday and was able to run a couple dozen rounds thru it. First impressions are favorable, with slick feeding and extraction. I am very happy to finally have a smoothbore repeater.
It's not gonna knock your socks off unless you really want to kill small stuff at close range. Then you should be suitably pleased. I patterned it on a "splatter" target and the shot lost a lot of oomph after about 10 paces.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Tailwheel's Avatar
Tailwheel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2014
Location: 
Alabama
Posts: 
215
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteman72 View Post
Alrighty, I picked up a Garden Gun at the gun show yesterday and was able to run a couple dozen rounds thru it. First impressions are favorable, with slick feeding and extraction. I am very happy to finally have a smoothbore repeater.
It's not gonna knock your socks off unless you really want to kill small stuff at close range. Then you should be suitably pleased. I patterned it on a "splatter" target and the shot lost a lot of oomph after about 10 paces.
Kiteman,

Did you happen to try the CCI shotshells or the Remington shotshells with the crimped ends? I'd be interested to know if either cycle and function well.

Thanks!
__________________
-Regards,

Patrick
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Kiteman72's Avatar
Kiteman72

Join Date: 
Jun 2012
Location: 
Nebraska
Posts: 
882
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Kiteman,

Did you happen to try the CCI shotshells or the Remington shotshells with the crimped ends? I'd be interested to know if either cycle and function well.

Thanks!
Hey, Tailwheel! I only tried Winchester crimped end ammo actually. I have some of that and some Federal crimped. The Winchester shot great.

I'm not going to try the CCI and I'll tell you why.
I've had those blue caps break when working them thru a lever action (either a Win 9422 or Browning BL-22 I can't remember) and dealing with the aftermath of that was a real pain. With my luck, I would jam up my new Henry in no time.

I have also had the blue cap not break when shot thru my Savage smoothbore and I ended up with a hole in my shed. Combine these factors with the higher price of the CCI and sticking with the crimped end shells is a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Tailwheel's Avatar
Tailwheel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2014
Location: 
Alabama
Posts: 
215
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteman72 View Post
Alrighty, I picked up a Garden Gun at the gun show yesterday and was able to run a couple dozen rounds thru it. First impressions are favorable, with slick feeding and extraction. I am very happy to finally have a smoothbore repeater.
It's not gonna knock your socks off unless you really want to kill small stuff at close range. Then you should be suitably pleased. I patterned it on a "splatter" target and the shot lost a lot of oomph after about 10 paces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteman72 View Post
Hey, Tailwheel! I only tried Winchester crimped end ammo actually. I have some of that and some Federal crimped. The Winchester shot great.

I'm not going to try the CCI and I'll tell you why.
I've had those blue caps break when working them thru a lever action (either a Win 9422 or Browning BL-22 I can't remember) and dealing with the aftermath of that was a real pain. With my luck, I would jam up my new Henry in no time.

I have also had the blue cap not break when shot thru my Savage smoothbore and I ended up with a hole in my shed. Combine these factors with the higher price of the CCI and sticking with the crimped end shells is a no-brainer.
I meant federal crimped! Thanks so much. Yes, I agree, i don't use those CCI's either because they are so fragile. At least the ones i've tried are and i did exactly what you talk about in my 9422.

Thanks!
__________________
-Regards,

Patrick
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Locked-up my Henry! Steben Henry 3 07-05-2019 05:31 PM
Henry Small Game Frontier homankr Henry 19 11-18-2018 02:26 PM
Henry US Survival AR-7 Review no4mk1t Henry 5 11-14-2017 04:08 PM
Henry .22lr Pump Action Rifle malneyugnfl Henry 8 05-20-2017 03:39 PM
A Henry Christmas Story Nomack Henry 15 02-15-2017 07:24 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x