Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:37 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Adjusting Stock Fit for Kidd Rear Tang

The issue on this stock was that the rear tang did not "blend" well with the stock at hand, that being a Boyd's Rimfire Hunter. Kidd sent whats called a "High" rear tang for this stock. The rear tang didn't fit the stock shape very well in that the rear tang was proud to the stock wood by almost 3/32". I keep a few of these rear tangs in stock and test fitted one with a more acute angle, What Kidd calls a "Low" rear tang. It fit better but still was not what I cared for. Here is the stock before I started, with the LOW rear tang in place. Note that the low tang fits the stock shape pretty well, at the rear of the tang to stock location. However the stock sticks up quite a bit on the sides of the tang. Thus necessitating the reshaping work to get a much nicer result.

After reshaping the area here is a pic of the HIGH rear tang in the stock. As you can see, the rear of the tang is quite high in relationship to the stock wood. Remember that in the previous picture the LOW rear tang fit the rear of the inlet pretty well, before reshaping. So you can see how much the HIGH rear tang protruded from the fit at the rear of the tang.

After some work with sanding blocks using 80 grit, here is the roughed out fit. Note that I left the wood a little proud of the rear tang to allow for wood removal during final sanding.

After final sanding and ready for finish.

And here is the finished work. Turned out looking pretty nice. Certainly much better then previous to the work. I think my customer will be pleased with the results.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:28 PM
5 in 1

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Very nice!

Have you ever modified a Hogue thumb hole? My steel challenge gun is starting to "rock" and I would like to install a KIDD tang
Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:18 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 in 1 View Post
Have you ever modified a Hogue thumb hole? My steel challenge gun is starting to "rock" and I would like to install a KIDD tang
Thanks!
Sorry for not replying sooner 5 in 1. I don't offer the service on the Hogue stocks. I did one and it just didn't take well to the milling process. Didn't seem stiff enough either. So I've stayed away from doing them. Sorry guy.