No luck with a 17hmr. - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

I finally remembered where I posted my weight sorting experiment ...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?p=6552385
Old 04-17-2017, 07:46 PM
nbHillbilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No luck with a 17hmr.

My new Marlin vx 17 was all over the place with different ammo. I mean 5". Finally found a round that closed everything into a nice tight .75 at 100 yrds. Was getting worried
Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
89% (14)
I tried the following
Vmax
CCI polymer tips, game point, tnt,
Federal polymer tips
Federal speer hollow point
And 2 kinds of winchesters that seemed to not want to go off.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steal Shooter View Post
I tried the following
Vmax
CCI polymer tips, game point, tnt,
Federal polymer tips
Federal speer hollow point
And 2 kinds of winchesters that seemed to not want to go off.
CCI TNT is the only thing that would shoot well in my gun. Haven't tried the Game Point. V-Max was terrible in it.

From the below link...
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=613705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger
Just to be sure that everyone knows.

The Remington, Hornady, Federal and CCI .17gr V-max's are all identical in every way, except for tip color and box design.

Their all made by CCI on the same machines with the same powder and componets.

You will see lot to lot differences which explains folks love for a particular brand.

Winchester is different animal and has been made by Winchester for the last 2-3 yrs.
It has not shot well in any of my four .17hmrs.

What shoots best is CCI TNT, with a close second being CCI Game Point 20gr (also sold as Honrady XTP). Both shoot quit a bit better than the 17gr V-Max's.

Smooth
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 PM
donw
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

in the high desert of southern kalifphornia
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have to go along with the statement that the

17 HMR is/was developed as a hunting/plinking cartridge.

the most accurate RF rifle i own is my CZ 452. it did NOT come that way out of the box. i had to do some 'mods' to get it that way: trigger kit, float the barrel and pillar bed the standard stock and am using good Leupold glass.

the designated purpose of the rifle? accurate target/plinking and a good hunting arm. an acceptable alternative to being limited by one class or another: lite enuff to carry in the field with the accuracy to place near perfect shots on game.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:33 AM
BillD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Sako Quad in .17HMR is crazy accurate out of the box. Spend a bit more and get something decent.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Ruger1300

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a RAR predator and was surprised by the accuracy and the fliers. Only shot at 50 yards with a 7x v Plex scope with a 50 yard parallax. I tried 3 types of ammo hornady, cci 17 grain c max, and cci 20 grain fmj. The wind was moderate and played a part in my groups but I had still had some great groups and then a couple I still don?t know where they went. After 100 rds a couple of shells didn?t extract but were easily pulled out with my fingers. I?m happy with the gun and would recommend it.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:26 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK....visiting this site again since I bought a Sako FinnFire II 17HMR. After mounting a scope and zeroing, my groups were very good, but inconsistent. With repeated cleanings and experimenting with different ammo, I'm still not completely settled on an ammo choice. Federal shoots best with the others not far behind. Since I bought it to be a field alternative to my Anschutz 1517MPR, I took it squirrel hunting and prairie dog shooting. First time squirreling I hit 3 head shots in a row, but my Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x is a bit too much for hunting in the woods with mostly close shots under 50 yds. But, it was perfect for prairie dogs. First 18 shots killed 16 dogs from 50 to 125 yds. I am really thrilled with this new rifle.......oh, and one crow at 100 yds....dead center hit.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Elite_KG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was getting 1.5" - 2.5" groups with my Ruger 77/17 target. It was picky on ammo and not consistent within various boxes of ammo.

I try to have all my guns shoot consistently 1 MOA. Most are close. So I was not too happy overall with the Ruger. I pillar bedded the action, floated barrel, install bolt shims, checked barrel torque, among other things. It really didnt make that big of a difference.

I finally gave up and bought a Clarks Custom barrel. It now shoots 1 MOA on average and has thrown tiny groups at 100 yards. Testing at 50 yards rarely results in a group that cannot be covered with a dime/penny size. Wind/Environment is just as big a factor as ammo when shooting 100 yards.

It shoots almost all major manufacturer 17 HMR ammo about the same. I cannot really tell the difference during testing where as before the new barrel only one or two types of ammo would perform from various boxes to test.

Just my experience with my 17 HMR. I think people are asking too much from a factroy rimfire given the cheap manufacturing processes, inconsistent ammo and wind conditions at 100 yds. Getting a 1/2" or less at 100 yards is almost impossible but happens on rare occasion. Definately not the norm or the average.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:45 PM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting reading...
I have a savage BTVS that I'm so far fairly impressed with but it groups about an inch, possible a hair over that, on average at 100 meters with federal hollow points.
Poly tipped vmax ammo of any brand isn't quite as tight so I'm sticking with hollow points for now.
I read all the hype about 1/2 inch groups and assumed my savage wasn't up to the job but it appears it's about average due to ammo quality.
It's good enough for my hunting uses and slight better than my 22 magnum.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:14 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 HMR

My opinion is the 17 hmr needs break in time like a center fire to really start performing. My Ruger American Predator also benefitted from the muzzle break I put on the end adding extra weight and putting it into better harmonic balance. It went from ho hum to Oh wow! My other 17s are not picky at all as pretty much any 17 grain v max will shoot very well. Maybe some of the more recent production lots have been crappy. rc
Old 10-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Jerryjj2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes the Ammo is the key 100%. I have a 455 that shoots extremely well but only with CCI .17 grain VMax.. I tried TNT, Hornady VMax gamepoint etc etc. It shoots about 1-1.5 inches at 100 yards with everything except for the CCI VMax. With the CCI VMax it shoots under 1/2 inch at 100, the best has been .234 - 5 shot group at 100. If I wouldve never tried the CCI I would?ve sold the rifle well before now. I am not saying this to brag but people need to know The ammo can make that much of a difference before giving up on a rifle. This is the reason I?m going to build a .22 for benchrest instead because if I can?t get the CCI or it goes south the CZ will be nearly useless for target shooting

Last edited by Jerryjj2; 10-29-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:00 PM
center_shot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is amazing. Something is wrong..........I have yet to see a bad .17HMR. Are you shooting in a stiff wind? That will raise havoc with a .17 but other than as mentioned above, a scope issue, that is some serious bad luck. Only other thing I would suggest is to have someone else shoot a group or two, make sure it's not the shooter.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:23 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
center_shot, bad news...17 hmr ammo quality is not what it was.
I've been playing with it for a long time and not just for a couple of shots.
Bricks and bricks fired for recorded accuracy and across a chronograph.
When a rimfire ammo with a box labled mv of 2550 produces mv's as low as 2300 fps
and as high as 2780 fps, you know the results won't be satisfactory.
It's not the rifle or shooter, all on ammo quality, or rather the lack of.
Take a look at the posted results of this months CZ challenge.
At 200 yards group sizes from 4 plus inches down to 2 inches.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:43 PM
REvan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy606 View Post
Guess I got lucky. A few years back I bought a Marlin 917VS in .17 at a pawnshop. Already had a Sweet 17 scope on it. The gun will put three 17-gr bullets into 3/8 inch off the bench at 100 yards. Wish I still lived in prairie dog country.
Spot on! I have the same rifle and it is a laser beam out to 100 yds. Great rifle!