Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:01 PM
FFournier
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Seven more ammo's tested

Someone once said, If you die broke owing millions and out of ammo you've lived a good life. Well I don't know about the broke and owing millions, but in the spirit of that second part, here's another ammo test. But my main motivation factor was how well my last test was received which was greatly appreciated. So, here we go again.

For this test I used my 453 American with a Weaver Classic V24 scope, Eagle front rest and a Protektor rear bag. Once again I shot this test indoors at 50 yards as measured with my Vortex range finder. Each test was begun with a clean bore and consisted of eight 5 round groups. The first group of each test was not included in the test averages, considering them more as foulers. In the last test there was a request to see some Aguila tested, so four Aguila offerings were included. The ammos tested were: SK STD, Federal HV Match, Wolf MT, Aguila 40gr. STD., Aguila 40gr. Pistol Match, Aguila 38gr. HV, and Aguila 30gr. Hyper Velocity. There were no failure to fires or obvious squibs.

SK STD. CtoC Avg .645

Federal HV Match CtoC Avg .609

Wolf MT CtoC Avg .587

Aguila 40gr. Std CtoC Avg .517

Aguila 40gr. Pistol Match CtoC Avg .789

Aguila 38gr. HV CtoC Avg .634...This one really surprised me. First, notice how high the POI is compared to where the standard velocity ammo POI is. Yes I know, it HV ammo, but it's POI is quite a bit higher than other HV ammo I've shot prior to POA adjustment. They don't put the velocity on the box, but it was my impression that this ammo is quite a bit faster then say Mini Mags. I was also quite impressed with its accuracy over most other HV ammo I have shot. Good stuff I would say.

Aguila 30gr. Hyper Velocity... I didn't bother measuring these groups for obvious reasons. I don't know if my rifle just really didn't like this stuff or what, but it was all over the target. It was so bad that if I hadn't skip down to the bottom bulls, skipping the middle ones, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell what rounds went with what bullseye. Also, note the POI of the fouler group. That was even after adjusting my elevation for the 36gr HV I shot just befor shooting these. Once again there was no velocity info on the box. This stuf may not be accurate, but it sure is fast

Last edited by FFournier; 01-21-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 AM
david_root2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank You

This puts to rest some of my questions of targets I have seen before here.

Another true honest test.

David
Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 AM
painterpm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting test Fred.

Aguila doesn't even list the 38gr ammo on their site.

The 30gr Hyper-velocity is listed at 1700fps muzzle.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Z400ACDC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for posting your ammo test with No cherry picking!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:38 AM
kevinqjhps
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the honest effort.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:00 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_root2000 View Post
This puts to rest some of my questions of targets I have seen before here.

Another true honest test.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFournier View Post
Someone once said, If you die broke owing millions and out of ammo you've lived a good life. Well I don't know about the broke and owing millions, but in the spirit of that second part, here's another ammo test. But my main motivation factor was how well my last test was received which was greatly appreciated. So, here we go again.

For this test I used my 453 American with a Weaver Classic V24 scope, Eagle front rest and a Protektor rear bag. Once again I shot this test indoors at 50 yards as measured with my Vortex range finder. Each test was begun with a clean bore and consisted of eight 5 round groups. The first group of each test was not included in the test averages, considering them more as foulers. In the last test there was a request to see some Aguila tested, so four Aguila offerings were included. The ammos tested were: SK STD, Federal HV Match, Wolf MT, Aguila 40gr. STD., Aguila 40gr. Pistol Match, Aguila 38gr. HV, and Aguila 30gr. Hyper Velocity. There were no failure to fires or obvious squibs.

SK STD. CtoC Avg .645

Federal HV Match CtoC Avg .609

Wolf MT CtoC Avg .587

Aguila 40gr. Std CtoC Avg .517

Aguila 40gr. Pistol Match CtoC Avg .789

Aguila 38gr. HV CtoC Avg .634...This one really surprised me. First, notice how high the POI is compared to where the standard velocity ammo POI is. Yes I know, it HV ammo, but it's POI is quite a bit higher than other HV ammo I've shot prior to POA adjustment. They don't put the velocity on the box, but it was my impression that this ammo is quite a bit faster then say Mini Mags. I was also quite impressed with its accuracy over most other HV ammo I have shot. Good stuff I would say.

Aguila 30gr. Hyper Velocity... I didn't bother measuring these groups for obvious reasons. I don't know if my rifle just really didn't like this stuff or what, but it was all over the target. It was so bad that if I hadn't skip down to the bottom bulls, skipping the middle ones, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell what rounds went with what bullseye. Also, note the POI of the fouler group. That was even after adjusting my elevation for the 36gr HV I shot just befor shooting these. Once again there was no velocity info on the box. This stuf may not be accurate, but it sure is fast

In my experience, most of the ammo you shot in your first test and in this test will not normally produce really good accuracy....even in an accurate gun. And of course, I'm sure you know that. But it does tell you something about your specific gun shooting those specific ammos. Of course the rest of us really need to repeat that test to learn the same things about our specific guns.....every gun is different. I'm mildly surprised by the Wolf and SK results though.....typically I see better out of those.

But let me hasten to add......the ammo in this test was shot with your 453, and it could be that the SK and Wolf lots used were not the best choices for accuracy in your particular gun. I have seen a large amount of lot to lot variation in those two ammos. I have some SK Standard that on occasion has printed close to 1/4" averages at fifty in my FS. On the other hand I have some that will shoot worse than what you show....in the same gun. In other words, unlike some folks might see, I don't see anything that tells me your gun is more or less accurate than normal, nor do I see any proof that other folks posted information is biased or out of whack. But there is some good information there....not to mention the enjoyment you got from doing the test.

A thought about the bullet placement of the Aguila 38 gr. HV........I have noticed on a number of occasions that higher velocity ammo will frequently print higher, but I have also seen lower velocity ammo print higher than higher velocity ammo. I think it may depend on exactly when the bullet leaves the muzzle what with all those barrel harmonics going on. But what do I know?

Keep up the good work......the best way to learn about guns and ammo is to shoot them......and keep up with the results. Plus you get to enjoy doing what we all enjoy.....some fun shooting.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:17 AM
gordonm1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I notice almost all of your groups are spread more along the vertical axis than the horizontal axis.

Not sure what conclusions can be drawn from it. One I think is your aim is smaller than the groups and the ammo is not perfectly accurate.

So what is stringing the groups vertically? Velocity? or barrel whip? I expect if I could do all the math and science on the velocity variations it would take a lot of velocity change to make 1/2" difference in bullet drop at 50yd.

One incidence I am pretty sure velocity variation played a lot into group size was a single brick of Wolf had fliers at 100 yards that were 6" below the rest of the group.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 AM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
1/2 inch of vertical with standard velocity 22lr at 50 yards
is caused by an mv difference of about 60 fps.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 AM
NorthwetChooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Another great read Fournier. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Triggerbender

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you sir for the time and expense you put forward again!

Your test here has made consider hunting up and trying some Aguila ammo, it hasn't been on my radar until now have not seen much of it in this area.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:30 PM
munk1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody try the new CCI Copper-22 ammo yet....It is supposed to have a MV of 1,850 fps and it is a 22lr with a 21gr HP compressed copper/polymer bullet.
I only know about this from an article I just seen in one of my gun magazines!
Old 01-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Shraven

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Your experience with the hyper velocity mirrors mine: atrocious. I tested both the Aguila and CCI super light, super fast types and both grouped like yours. The 40gr Interceptor shot much better. I didn't have any CCI Velociter to test at the time.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aguila is some of the best shooting 22 ammo these days when you need high velocity solids or HPs.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 PM
bigiron44
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have more than a few rim fire toys and each one has it's favorite flavor. I have seen many you tube posts touting good and bad brands. But, after a lot of testing the best I can do is keep a list of what works best with each firearm. I have been turned off by some brands seen on you tube, but then I buy a something new and I find what was supposedly awful ammo works very well. As far as I am concerned there is no perfect answer. Keep working with as many brands as available and you will find what is right for each firearm.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 PM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
I guess I've had better luck with sk/wolf without the advantage of being inside. Maybe the lots of ammo,gun, or shooter. Each gun is different