Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
Another southpaw shooter here. Been shooting for 35 years or so..............and haven't owned any LH firearms until a couple weeks ago when I bought my Savage 93R17 GLV.

I've owned and shot many RH bolt guns (as well as pumps, levers, single shots, and semi-autos). They feel 'normal' to me. I've decided to buy/build more LH bolt guns. Many MFG's make LH bolt guns..............but the range is usually limited, with the variations (calibers, barrel weights/profiles, stocks) that I'd want not being produced for Southpaws. Gotta build them instead.

The lefty Savage still feels a bit weird, but I'm getting used to it. I've shot a few LH bolt guns that belonged to other southpaws. Always felt strange. As I'm getting used to the LH bolt guns I am starting to appreciate them more.
It depends how you shoot. From a bench or rest a right handed action is far better for a leftie.

This is because a leftie with a RH action is on the near side of the bolt and port and the right arm is not doing anything anyway. You have a bird's eye view of and access to the port and you can comfortably hold the wrist with your left hand to stabilize the rifle when cycling the action with the right hand.

A left hand action is superior for a leftie from the other positions since the right arm is busy supporting the rifle.

From a bench or rest however, it is much more efficient to be on the same side of the bolt handle and port especially for a single shot scoped rifle.

That is why many RH benchrest shooters often use left bolts and ports, to avoid reaching around blindly.

We have it made in this regard, and I think most lefties are aware of this. Plenty of RH rifles to shoot from a bench or rest. My LH rifles are all sporters and I dread shooting them from the bench compared to the RH rifles from the bench. Feeding from a magazine mitigates the inconvenience...Tom
Old 08-05-2017, 09:45 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well..
Now that my left eye is fixed..
I can see better with it.

Im right handed.
Have pretty much always shot right handed.
But ?
Since my left eye is stronger..
Im shooting my browning SA-22 long and short rifles left handed alot more.

It's hard to do sometimes..
But im getting better.

Sure do like that bottom eject.!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Eccentric
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I spent a full day shooting ground squirrels with my 93R17 GLV and I'm now totally comfortable with it. Really liking the LH bolt action (over a RH bolt) for everything except bench shooting.

About half way through the day I took a couple shots with my buddy's 93R17 FV (RH) and IT felt weird. I'm going to do dedicated bench guns on RH actions, but will go LH (or semi/lever/pump) for everything else.

At some point I'll do a .338 LM or .338 Norma and a .375 or .408 CheyTac using one of the custom actions. Most likely will use a LH bolt RH port action for those.

Last edited by Eccentric; 08-16-2017 at 11:20 PM. Reason: too many ''F's"...

Old 08-16-2017, 05:17 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Well..
Now that my left eye is fixed..
I can see better with it.

Im right handed.
Have pretty much always shot right handed.
But ?
Since my left eye is stronger..
Im shooting my browning SA-22 long and short rifles left handed alot more.

It's hard to do sometimes..
But im getting better.

Sure do like that bottom eject.!
I am right handed but my left eye is 20/20 and my right eye is 20/100. I shoot guns and bows left handed and actually like the fact that I support the gun or bow with my strongest arm. My bolt guns are all right handed and I don't feel as it is a great disadvantage when hunting and I actually think when shooting from the bench a right handed bolt is an advantage for a southpaw.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Onearm

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
I actually think when shooting from the bench a right handed bolt is an advantage for a southpaw.
There is a distinct advantage to shooting a single shot rifle "wrong handed" from a bench. You can load, eject and do all other tasks with the non-trigger hand, while the trigger hand stays in place and the cheek remains welded to the stock, with the eyes watching the wind flags and the target. Many competition BR shooters shoot that way.

My left handed instructor in all things BR shot a right handed Anschutz from the bench, with amazing accuracy and efficiency of motion. This is her, shooting her Anschutz, as I described. The trigger hand and eyes never move while the right hand is loading cartridges, operating the bolt and the front rest adjustments. To entertain us, she would rapidly shoot tiny groups, while catching the ejected brass mid-air as it flew from the rifle and dropping it into a spent brass box on her bench; all without looking up from the scope.

If I was not disabled, with the use of only my left hand, all of my benchrest rifles would be right handed rifles, while my hunting rifles would still be left handed. Once you pick the rifle off a benchrest, the advantage goes away.

Last edited by Onearm; 08-16-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:22 AM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think there are plenty of lefties around but as noted not much on the front to post about.
I would like something on the lines of the CZ455 tactical trainer in LH
or at least
Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 PM
topclass

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
score one for a lefty

My wife bought me the greatest birthday present ever (IMO...)...a left handed Remington custom shop 40X repeater in .308, with a Leupold BR-24 scope. Picked it up from a fellow shooter who needed the cash to finish a project. I finally have a HP bolt rifle to comfortably shoot prone as she wears a wood stock with a rail under the forearm. and she shoots...this past weekend I shot a 200 yard match and scored 598-40x from the bench using three different 168 grain bullets: strings were 200-10x (Sierra Match King), 199-15x (Hornady BTHP), and 199-15x (Nosler Competition), all fired by 42.0 grains RL-15 powder. At 100 yards, 5-shot groups are consistently less than 1/2".

Next up is letting it stretch its legs to 500 yards or more. Too much fun!
Old 08-30-2017, 04:01 AM
Eccentric

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like your wife and that 40X are both keepers!
Old 08-31-2017, 12:29 AM
rkcolt45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm back with my lefty Rem 581 Voelker custom. Close to squirrel season too.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:47 AM
Big Green
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not a lefty but father to at least two.

I bought a Henry Mini bolt youth for my son and as we tried going over sights and target acquisition he had his head so canted he couldn't see a thing. We tried a couple of rounds and gave up. A few weeks later I used a piece of paper with a hole in it to determine he is left eye dominant. My middle daughter, kid #3 is an actual lefty. Not sure about #4 yet, still very young and very ambidextrous when doing things like eating.

I was aware of some left handed youth rifles but somehow the Savage Rascal had evaded me. I saw it mentioned here in a thread earlier today and it seems like it will fit the bill for a couple of my kids. I'll be talking to my FFL tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for the info on southpaw toys.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 AM
maxiball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That kind of leftie.

I thought this was about politics.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:51 AM
Eccentric

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiball View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That kind of leftie.

I thought this was about politics.

That'd be a leftist...
Old 09-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Onearm

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
No Political Posts

Quote:
That'd be a leftist...
There are plenty of forums for political posts. This is not one of them.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Eccentric

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onearm View Post
There are plenty of forums for political posts. This is not one of them.
Easy tiger. I was just making a humorous response to the humorous post Maxiball made above mine.

I noticed that you didn't quote that post in your admonishment. Is that because Maxiball has been here longer than me or you???

I didn't make a statement one way or the other about whether being a leftist was good or bad. Also, your sig line (which I agree with........but again that's not relevant here) is more political than my post or the one above it...............

Last edited by Eccentric; 09-01-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: can't type or proofread for beans today...
Old 09-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Onearm

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Easy tiger. I was just making a humorous response to the humorous post Maxiball made above mine.

I noticed that you didn't quote that post in your admonishment. Is that because Maxiball has been here longer than me or you???

I didn't make a statement one way or the other about whether being a leftist was good or bad. Also, your sig line (which I agree with........but again that's not relevant here) is more political than my post or the one above it...............

My statement was to include all political posts, not just yours. When I first read Maxiball's post, I thought to reply but decided to let it just go away. At first glance, your post appeared to be continuation of a diversion of this thread into politics. My misreading prompted me to reply.

I have many times been accused of being sense of humor deficient. Having taken a second look at your post, I finally get the joke.

As to my quote from one of the founding fathers of our nation:
Defence of the 2nd Amendment while a political statement seems unlikely to raise any member of this site's ire. It is, after all a firearms enthusiast site.

Last edited by Onearm; 09-02-2017 at 12:57 PM.