Can CCI QUIET .22lr be used humanly on small game - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:55 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

what I mean by humane kill is just so it doesn't run off hide and die over a long period of time . Seconds or even a minute or two ain't so bad considering what they might go threw with a predator . I especially don't won't it dying in my anti-hunting neighbors yard. They once saw my dog with a fresh kill ( prairie dog) in is mouth and they freacked out and that's a under statement. Another time he was about to throw away about a garbage can full of damage apples from he's tree and so I ask for them for baiting deer , he looked at me like I was the devil lol . So head shots are a must at home to keep the peace and keep me out of trouble even if it's legal where I am . Plus I wanna be cooking a few of those the critters .

Last edited by Shooter011; 01-15-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
So you guys are saying a heart/ lung shot won't kill a squirrel? They go into shock from massive blood loss and die within seconds. If this is not humane, you will never want to hunt big game, especially with a bow.
True this.^ Bud has a pic of a deer heart with an X in the middle from the broad head blades. I witnessed the shot and the deer bolted over 90 long paces in less than 10 seconds before expiring. A shot most dyed in the wool hunters would call humane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I will not risk in with the back yard pest control mission.
And now we have a different environment where every second counts requiring a more difficult DRT perfect brain or spinal shot with a bullet of adequate penetration.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:29 PM
shootsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
75% (11)
I've shot bear with perfect heart shots that ran 2-300 yards on pure adrenaline just like hopped up dope heads that just keep coming while being shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Shooter011

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went out shooting the cci quiets , they didn't do has good has I hoped they would , i expected them to drop faster but it wasn't so bad , accuracy was ok but i dont think i will be taking any small game paste 30 yards they don't hit very hard , I know muzzle energy is only 45 ft-lbs but they don't seem to even be hitting that hard maybe it's because I'm shooting a semi-auto , does this affect velocity and energy in any way ? ( might just be my lack of experience ) I was thinking I might try to hold the bolt close while shooting but I'm not shure if it's a good idea or not any opinions on this ?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Daemon2525
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Why do you say that they don't hit very hard? How are you measuring that?

I shoot all of my squirrel with an air rifle and I'm sure that a Quiet will hit harder than that.

I wouldn't shoot past 30 yards just because I'm not as sure about their accuracy as some other folks. Inside that I'm sure they will do fine.
I wouldn't hold the bolt shut.

If you can, try shooting at a Black Walnut or an egg and see what happens.
(yes, I know that an egg is not a fair comparison)

Totally Unrelated story _______________________________________
I was shooting my air rifle with my son in the backyard with an electric power line about 20ft above our targets. We got bored with shooting paper and started on eggs.
His first shot blew egg parts up over the power lines. I can still hear him laughing.

Fun times......
Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter011 View Post
I went out shooting the cci quiets , they didn't do has good has I hoped they would , i expected them to drop faster but it wasn't so bad , accuracy was ok but i dont think i will be taking any small game paste 30 yards they don't hit very hard , I know muzzle energy is only 45 ft-lbs but they don't seem to even be hitting that hard maybe it's because I'm shooting a semi-auto , does this affect velocity and energy in any way ? ( might just be my lack of experience ) I was thinking I might try to hold the bolt close while shooting but I'm not shure if it's a good idea or not any opinions on this ?
From all I've read there is very little power loss shooting a semi. Much talk of holding the bolt closed shooting thru a chrono to find out but it was all keyboard talk and I never found anyone that did it. I don't think its a problem. JMO Accuracy is the biggest problem. I've been shooting some newly acquired Quiets in my basement but no chrono hooked up. Lots of power shooting thru 2x4s. You may look for the segmented ones for better bullet performance but good luck as I couldn't find any so I made my own from the rn for fox hunting from a new CZ bolt with a quieter 28" barrel. They really are quiet in it. Good luck and have fun experimenting.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 PM
Trailboss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"Can CCI Quiet .22lr be used humanly on small game?"

Depends totally on the shooter.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:04 AM
brenne93

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I now shoot CCI Quiet for in yard pest control. I shot a 35 pound raccoon (to just scare him away from my pets) with a CCI CB Long and he ran only 30 feet then 15 feet up a cedar tree before his lights went out and I watched and heard him bouncing dead from branch to branch. Same case and velocity but the CB Long has only a 29 gn bullet. Forget the hollow point nonsense and rely on penetration and shot placement to kill humanely. The 29 gn bullet slipped between his ribs for a perfect behind the shoulder shot.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:39 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss View Post
"Can CCI Quiet .22lr be used humanly on small game?"

Depends totally on the shooter.
Exactly. Many a critter has fallen to them in my backyard.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
From all I've read there is very little power loss shooting a semi. Much talk of holding the bolt closed shooting thru a chrono to find out but it was all keyboard talk and I never found anyone that did it. I don't think its a problem. JMO Accuracy is the biggest problem. I've been shooting some newly acquired Quiets in my basement but no chrono hooked up. Lots of power shooting thru 2x4s. You may look for the segmented ones for better bullet performance but good luck as I couldn't find any so I made my own from the rn for fox hunting from a new CZ bolt with a quieter 28" barrel. They really are quiet in it. Good luck and have fun experimenting.
The quiets will go through a 2x4? I ask cause I use quiets in my sons savage rascal and when he's old enough to hunt I had thought about using the same for his first year. What distance were you shooting?
He gets plenty of accuracy at 25 yrds,we haven't shot farther yet.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 AM
dhuze

On an island surrounded by land on 3 sides.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I find it hard to believe it will penetrate a 2x4. Its only 710 fps at the muzzle and 45 ft lbs. Thats the same as a cheap bb gun.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:14 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Just to add another person's opinion and experiences, in the past 4 years, I have probably shot 200 squirrels in my back yard with the CCI Short CB loads (I admit that many of these were taken with the Short Target load, which is slightly faster, but I've never seen a difference). I use them for low noise and specifically because they have less energy than the Quiets, something I worry about in the event I were to have one ricochet. I don't use head shots, because I want to be certain of a hit every time, and a little head bob as the sear breaks can cause a complete miss. The CCI Short CB, which sends a 29 grain bullet at about 700 FPS, in the heart/lung area puts a squirrel down every time, though it may struggle for a few seconds (usually less than 30 seconds) before falling from the tree. This has been the case for me out to about 30 yards. The Quiet uses a bullet that is 28% heavier at the same velocity, hence 28% more energy, but maybe more important, it has a greater sectional density that allows the bullet to plow through with greater authority, likely more than just 28% more penetration. So, I would say the Quiets will kill squirrel-size animals humanely out to perhaps 50 yards, assuming you can hit the heart/lung area every time...which may be a big assumption .

TBR
Old 01-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Shraven

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
I find it hard to believe it will penetrate a 2x4. Its only 710 fps at the muzzle and 45 ft lbs. Thats the same as a cheap bb gun.
No comparison between a BB moving 710fps and a 40gr bullet moving at the same speed. Not even close.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter011 View Post
Hey guys I already look this up on google but noticed to many different answers . What I need to know is can I use CCI quiet .22 lr ammo on small game ( prairie Dogs , squirl , rabbit etc ..) humanly and if so from how far away . Reason I ask is I have a few problems with pest and sometimes see tasty critters around the house now I already got the info and its legal to shoot here but neighbors are still close and dislike hunting . This would just be a way of being discreet and keeping the peace .
I've used in on raccoons at 40 yards, suppressed, and it doesn't bounce off.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbiest View Post
What distance were you shooting?
34' in the basement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
Or as my buddy would say; "I've never heard of that before!" with disbelief in his voice.
In my modeling clay penetration test the bullet passed thru 5.5" of clay and disappeared into the pine 2x4 board behind. Surprised the heck out of me also. But then again my basement cement block wall is riddled with holes and divots that were surprises.
eta-the clay slabs aren't flat but rather tilted up hence the less than 5.5" depth appearance.

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 01-22-2016 at 12:47 PM.