Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Barold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
V 49 Unique serial numbers

Does anyone have any info on Unique V 49 serial numbers? I recently acquired one serial # 10xx, I would like to find a manufacture date if possible.

Last edited by Barold; 11-01-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
V49 numbers

I have serials for all Unique rifles from 1964 until they closed. But I have not found anything regarding earlier numbers and their manufacturing dates. I have seen three digit V49's all the way to rifles having 12xxx. I highly doubt they made that many V49 rifles so there has to be a huge numbers gap in there somewhere.

I have found an interesting nugget of info recently. I have found a V49 with serial number 123xx. That particular rifle did not have a bolt hold open feature on the receiver like the bulk of all V49's. Also it has a wood forearm instead of the plastic forearm. I have also seen an X51 with serial number 125xx. If I'm speculating correctly, a model transition happened within those couple hundred guns from the V49 to the X51. Both rifles share the same font in their markings. The same stock design (steep comb drop). They also shared the same butt plate with the bird emblem. The only real difference was the bolt hold open or single shot feature seen on the X51's.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:39 PM
[email protected]
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Turning unique v49 & x51 gunstock blanks

I am interested in restocking my Unique v49 & am interested in finding someone to turn my wood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Unique v49/x51 furniture

Only place I see replacement wood now and then is oversees at naturabuy.fr website. Tough to communicate and get something from there to the US though.

Your only hope is to kidnap TeddyBearRat and lock him up in a wood shop. He has made phenomenal replacement wood on his X51. It shouldn't be too tough, just widdle away everything that doesn't need to be there......

Side note....Seen you bid on that little gem on GB a few weeks ago. Turns out that thing was mint!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Barold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Early V49

Lakside Machine did you ever see another unique with this pommel style stock instead of the usual pistil grip style? I am pretty sure this is an early V49 and since all numbers match I think all but the sling swivels and pachmayer pad are original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unique14.jpg (468.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yes, I have seen examples of that style of stock before. I have noted atleast 4or 5 different major stock changes in the v49 and x51 rifles. You definetly have an early bird there.

Just found an interesting comparison of a Browning 22 auto stock and your early v49 stock.

Who was peeking at who with that design?
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...2b355616f2f174

Last edited by Lakeside Machine; 12-16-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Barold

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are very similar that is for sure, it is a style that I associate more with English side by side shotguns and German Drillings. You still see it in some Browning O&U shotguns too it definitely gives a stock a stylish look when well executed.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 AM
MN22LRFan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Target rifle

For all you Unique rifle owners out there, found a target rifle listing from an old, 1980, 'Complete .22', listing. Bet the LH version is rare ! Rather pricey, the next listing is a Winchester 52D for $393:

Last edited by MN22LRFan; 12-19-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
I thought this was going to be about world war era French rifles that were actually fired and not dropped ......ba dum dah. Yes, I do standup lol.
As I happened to read this statement early this morning, I wanted, as a Frenchman and reserve officer, to put things straight :

The French soldiers who fought in May and June of 1940 DID NOT DROP their rifles and flee before the Hun : actually nearly 100,000 of them were killed in action within the 5 weeks of the German offensive. Compare that to the total number of US soldiers killed in action during THE WHOLE of WW2 and you will understand how fiercely they fought to defend our motherland.

Sure, the May-June campaign of 1940 ended up in total chaos for the French army, but one of the reasons for that was that the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) chose to pull out from the battle field at the eve of a major joint counterattack WITHOUT telling their French allies.

Last edited by Deejay; 10-11-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 AM
k98kidd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN22LRFan View Post
For all you Unique rifle owners out there, found a target rifle listing from an old, 1980, 'Complete .22', listing. Bet the LH version is rare ! Rather pricey, the next listing is a Winchester 52D for $393:
Strangely enough the left hand version is the only one I have ever seen. This one has won me a fair amount of money and pork steaks over the years.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
As I happened to read this statement early this morning, I wanted, as a Frenchman and reserve officer, to put things straight :

The French soldiers who fought in May and June of 1940 DID NOT DROP their rifles and flee before the Hun : actually nearly 100,000 of them were killed in action within the 5 weeks of the German offensive. Compare that to the total number of US soldiers killed in action during THE WHOLE of WW2 and you will understand how fiercely they fought to defend our motherland.

Sure, the May-June campaign of 1940 ended up in total chaos for the French army, but one of the reasons for that was that the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) chose to pull out from the battle field at the eve of a major joint counterattack WITHOUT telling their French allies.
Thank you for your thoughts and the history lesson.As someone interested in WW2 history, who also has a degree in history, I'm aware of the sacrifices and losses incurred by so many countries. Too many Americans, are prone to thinking that it was just the US of A fighting against Germany and Japan. We also forget the difficult decade that followed WW2 for Europe,and that it wasn't just the military that suffered losses.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 AM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Thank you for your thoughts and the history lesson.As someone interested in WW2 history, who also has a degree in history, I'm aware of the sacrifices and losses incurred by so many countries. Too many Americans, are prone to thinking that it was just the US of A fighting against Germany and Japan. We also forget the difficult decade that followed WW2 for Europe,and that it wasn't just the military that suffered losses.
That history lesson is flawed from the get-go. The Huns invaded what has become France long ago, about 372 to 375 a.d. I am not aware that they fought the Frogs in WWII.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:00 AM
ArmedTramper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lets give the faux history a rest and get back to rifles . . .

I have just acquired a X-51 bis that has a variation I have not struck before, this rifle does not have any open sights, or any provision for them - its "clean".

I bought the rifle on spec, it was offered "without a magazine" but since I had a spare mag that I couldn't trade off I decided it was worth a punt - and received a well used but fully functional rifle for a very modest sum. My magazine fits and functions (which I understand is not always the case).

This rifle also has a very nice trigger (for a semi-auto generally), its the most remarkable trigger I've come across in an X-51, under 5 lbs I'd say and quite short.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd View Post
That history lesson is flawed from the get-go. The Huns invaded what has become France long ago, about 372 to 375 a.d. I am not aware that they fought the Frogs in WWII.
The "Huns" were the enemy of the Allies in World War I (Roman numerals are used to refer to either the First or Second World Wars, internet references aside). Germans were nicknamed "Huns" because of Kaiser Wilhelm's notorious speech in 1900 when he described the German soldiers he was sending to China to put down the Boxer Rebellion. "Just as 1,000 years ago, the Huns made a name for themselves, so shall you establish the name of Germans in China for 1,000 years, in such a way that a Chinese will never again dare to look askance at a German," he said.

As for the French in 1940, perhaps they did not want to be alone without their British allies when they surrendered to the Boches. In any event, the British could not have taken the entire French army back to Britain from Dunkirk.

With regard to Unique rifles, I had this M 66, which was a good shooter.

Last edited by Penage Guy; 12-04-2018 at 05:44 AM.