How to make a knife - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

But how do you get the epoxy in all the tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
SQUAWSACH

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I use tinted fiberglass resin for mosaic pins. It's thinner than epoxy and flows through the small spaces in the tubes better. If you are using small tubes inside of larger tubes, the small tubes can be filled before assembly.

Maybe this needs to be the next tutorial to show the whole process.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUAWSACH View Post
Maybe this needs to be the next tutorial to show the whole process.
ooooh! Thanks, in advance

Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
WheelLock

I am blown away by the beauty of this knife! Your tutorial was very easy to follow and you make it seem like anyone can do this. I am not so naive.

Is there a way you can show us how you made your furnace. I have a good idea how to build one, but would like to see what you did.
At first, I was going to build a wood fired furnace, but was worried about uneven heating and less control of the temp, along with flame placement.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM
SQUAWSACH

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelLock View Post
I am blown away by the beauty of this knife! Your tutorial was very easy to follow and you make it seem like anyone can do this. I am not so naive.

Is there a way you can show us how you made your furnace. I have a good idea how to build one, but would like to see what you did.
At first, I was going to build a wood fired furnace, but was worried about uneven heating and less control of the temp, along with flame placement.
I'll take a couple pics of the simple brick forge on my next days off. I built a new one last weekend out of 8" steel pipe. I'm waiting for the Kaowool to arrive to finish it.

A venturi burner built from black iron pipe fittings is the heat source. Do a search. Where are several different plans for these burners on the net. Making one is a fun little project and all the parts needed can be found at a hardware store.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There are also plans in the $50 Knife Shop book.......if you want to start making knives one of your first investments should be this book in my opinion. Great ideas on how to save money and how to make your own equipment. You may not use any of it directly but it will give you ideas of your own too.

Squawsach just the few words you just posted cleared up some things for me on making pins. At something like $35 a foot they are very expensive to buy. Thanks a bunch

Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
mulder89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have seen a heap of tutorials on knife making through out my internet journeys but this one is that far about the rest you need an oxygen mask! Kudos to you for the best tutorial available.
mulder89
Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 PM
geminidglocker
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What a great post. Thank you. I am inspired, and encouraged to try my hand at this process.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Art in NC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via MSN to Art in NC
I don't care what book you buy this thread is about the best info that you will find anywhere and it is from someone that has only been making knives about a year.
And a very fine job he is doing on his knives.

Art
Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art in NC View Post
I don't care what book you buy this thread is about the best info that you will find anywhere and it is from someone that has only been making knives about a year.
And a very fine job he is doing on his knives.

Art
No Doubt....Squawsach is to be commended not only for his obvious skill but even more for sharing that knowledge. He has done that over and over in the shooting parts of RFC.

I recommended the book because it has great ideas on saving money setting up your shop with out going broke doing it. That book is not so much about "How do I make a knife" it is about "How do I get the equipment I need without spending money I do not have"

There are those knife makers that believe you need $20,000 in equipment to make sellable knives.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Squawsach is to be commended not only for his obvious skill but even more for sharing that knowledge.
Absolutely!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
SQUAWSACH

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have heard good things about the $50 Knife Shop. I'm tempted to pick it up next time I'm at Barnes and Noble.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:29 PM
MangesMade
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More than one way to skin a cat and

I must say that you pluck every hair one at a time, but boy.....when your done, he sure does have a good looking carcass ! When one say's he makes hand made knives, you definitely quailify. You do have a simple method of teaching, I mean that in a good way. Starting them out with hand tools, they get a better understanding, and when they do progress to machines they have a better understanding of them. Some people jump on a grinder and when they are done, the knife doesn't look anything like the original design. That's probably how the short blade and long handle was invented ?
You are correct that Everyone has there own ways and I would not try to add to your thread. But, concerning the pattern making material, I would like to share and hopefully not offend.
Breakfast Cereal boxes.....when my 3 kids were growing up, they kept me supplied. They are free and plentiful. They also make great pattern material for leather sheaths. Just the right weight / density.
Great thread.....I enjoyed reading it, thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 AM
desertmoon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the best tutorials I have ever read on the subject!!! Great job!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:29 PM
mulder89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May I enquire as to what you use to tint the epoxy you use to glue the handle to the knife? When are you doing the mosaic pin tutorial?
mulder