Walnut and Old Iron - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 PM
reddogge
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

My first rifle, a Noris .22, captured during the war by my uncle in Germany, given to me in 1956, taken back a few years later and returned again in 2005. It was a mess and I rebuilt it to what it was like in 1956.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 PM
SQUAWSACH

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Here's an old gun in new walnut. It's a CMP H&R mod. 12 in a custom American black walnut stock with maple burl caps.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:09 PM
cp1969

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some beautiful stuff here. I have no way of posting pictures (no camera) but even if I did, my "iron and wood" gun is not here as it got dropped off at a gunsmith yesterday.

It is a 1906 Winchester Expert (the one with the pistol grip stock), made in 1916. Not an heirloom as we found it and an Iver Johnson Owl's Head .38 revolver left behind in a rental house my Mother in Law was moving into. However, that was over 35 years ago, so I've probably owned it about as long as anybody.

Some previous owner didn't understand the circular dovetails that hold the magazine holders to the barrel and butchered them up, ruining the magazine tube in the process. That's what I'm finally having fixed, 35 years later. I used to shoot it as a single shot but probably haven't fired it in 15 years. The barrel is pretty bad; I'm thinking about having it relined as barrels seem to be scarce as hens teeth.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 PM
GunHugger

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
SQUAWSACH, please post a bigger picture. That one need a better look.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:17 AM
roothog
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
cp1969; When you get the old Winny back, maybe you can find someone to help you with a coupla pictures. It's a classic and certainly deserves a post here. We would sure like to see it. Maybe you can find someone with a cell phone to help out ?? RH
Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My offerings

The Remington model 24 was probably bought by my grandfather around 1920 or a little bit before. As near as I have been able to determine it was made around 1918, +/- a year or two. I started shooting it when I was (almost) big enough to hold it - 5 yr.s old or so, and full time when I was 10. Still shot true when I finally retired it when I got a 62A when I was 14. The action was not strong enough for the high velocity ammo. Some little spring or something would break and the rifle would fail to eject. I could only shoot standard velocity, and that was hard to come by.

The Mossberg 44b came into my possession when I was a forester in Montana in 1964. Belonged to a school teacher buddy who didn't want it. It was his father's gun. I paid the princely sum of $20 for it.

Unfortunately my 62A was stolen while I was in college and never recovered.
VH67
Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 AM
roothog

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice pair,VH. Sorry about the 62A. I know how that feels. Was a groomsman in a friend"s wedding one night, and some thug knew and took chance to break in and steal six guns, all I had. He's still in the big house( one of many offences). I can't abide a thief. RH
Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 AM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 AM
roothog

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
22AGS; I got to leave for work , but I'll take a wild guess. Is it a remmy and a winny? Maybe a341-P and a 72? Hope I'm not too far Off!! RH
Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM
22AGS

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Remingtonian 34 & 341P belonging to Flysalot, who don't do pictures.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 AM
JJFUNK

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)

My first firearm, a Remington 580 that my dad gave me when I was about 5 or 6. He cut it way down (front and back) and it was in pretty bad shape when I got it out of the family vault a few months ago. I cleaned it up and now my 6 year old is using it. It shoots pretty well, and seems to prefer the cheaper "bulk" style ammo (which is just fine for me!).

JJ
Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Old gun story (sorry, not a .22)

I may have posted this here before, anyway here it is:

Thought maybe you fellers would like to see a REAL cowboy gun that was owned by a REAL Wyoming cowboy.

In 1932-1933 my parents were dirt poor ranch and farm workers struggling to survive the depression. Being childless at the time, they took in a homeless 11-year old waif who was being held in bondage by a local rancher. He wanted $50.00 to release the boy, Mom somehow came up with it, a princely sum in those hard times. Mom and Dad found work at a dude ranch at Torrey Lake, outside remote Dubois Wyoming and moved there. She homeschooled the boy to the 8th grade. In his teen years, the boy, Earl, worked as a cowboy on some of the local ranches. For a summer's labor at the Double Diamond Ranch, now owned by famous lawyer Jerry Spence, he took partial pay in the form of this 1886 Winchester, .33 WCF caliber. He tanned the cowhide for the scabbard and made it himself. He joined the Navy in 1940, serving throughout WWII and Korea also. He died while still on active duty in 1954, and the rifle passed to me.

The rifle is definitely not a collector gun. It shows the dings and scars of years on the saddle, as does the scabbard, the hair almost rubbed off on the one side next to the horse. There is very little blue left on the gun, the bore is not too good, but it still shoots fine. I put the Marble's tang sight on it for metallic silhouette, and use cast bullets. Lots of fun to show up at the range with this rifle (hey, mister, what kind of gun is that?) and I shoot it in honor of the cowboy and sailor who owned it before me.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Thom T
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Marlin Glenfield

I cut my teeth and fired my first shots from a Marlin Glenfield
bolt action 22 Rifle. It belonged to my father. My brother has it
so I don't have a picture. It had a flat 7 shot magazine and
it was HEAVY for a kid.

Thom T

It was a big deal when we (my Dad, my brother and I) drove out of town and into the woods
to shoot a (one) box of bullets. And I'm sure we did not use them all.

Last edited by Thom T; 07-14-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:13 PM
roothog

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22AGS View Post
Remingtonian 34 & 341P belonging to Flysalot, who don't do pictures.
At least I was 50%. Thats better than usual. RH
Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM
roothog

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFUNK View Post

My first firearm, a Remington 580 that my dad gave me when I was about 5 or 6. He cut it way down (front and back) and it was in pretty bad shape when I got it out of the family vault a few months ago. I cleaned it up and now my 6 year old is using it. It shoots pretty well, and seems to prefer the cheaper "bulk" style ammo (which is just fine for me!).

JJ
That"s what it's all about, JJ. Family history being passed down. Whenever he uses it, he'll think of you and his granddad. Ain't that right,jn? RH