Savage A17 trigger improvements? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 PM
TiminMB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage A17 trigger improvements?

I've read all the threads I can find on here about improving the Savage A17 trigger. I was wondering if anyone had any final work on this subject? Did your modifications produce a lasting, reliable trigger break? Any regrets to the mods you made?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:21 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage has changed little things with the trigger in the A17 no less than 3-4 times. I'm not exactly sure which version mine is but I believe it's either the first or second version. Regardless of which you have, they all function relatively the same.

I spent a few hours doing a trigger job on my A17 and got it down to an acceptable pull rate, I believe it's around 2.25lbs, with just a hint of creep/pretravel which was a zillion times better than it was right out of the box. New out of the box, the trigger in my A17 was really, really, bad.

I have zero regret tuning up the trigger in my A17.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:45 PM
TiminMB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can you tell me what you did? Some of the reading suggests its mostly the hammer to sear notch that needs smoothing. Did you replace or shorten any of the springs?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:45 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminMB View Post
Can you tell me what you did? Some of the reading suggests its mostly the hammer to sear notch that needs smoothing. Did you replace or shorten any of the springs?
It's been awhile since I tuned up the trigger in my A17 so I don't exactly remember but if I recall I clipped a few coils off of the pull rate spring to lighten it and then polished the sear as well as the notch in the hammer. I think I've posted about but its been a few years and quite a few triggers ago so like I said, I don't exactly recall what I all did.

I'd also like to add and this is not meant as a slight on anyone, but tuning/working on triggers should not be something taken lightly as an easy do it yourself project, particularly, if a person isn't well versed on the mechanics of how a trigger works. It is far better to have a heavy crappy trigger than it is to mess with it yourself and turn it into a unsafe trigger that potentially goes off on its own.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:11 PM
TiminMB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, understood. The geometry of the surfaces and the thickness of hardening need to be respected, as well as the need to thoroughly test that you haven't created a situation where the gun can accidentally discharged. My gun shoots accurately and cycles properly 95% of the time, but the trigger is the heaviest I've ever experienced in any rifle, period.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:22 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminMB View Post
Yes, understood. The geometry of the surfaces and the thickness of hardening need to be respected, as well as the need to thoroughly test that you haven't created a situation where the gun can accidentally discharged. My gun shoots accurately and cycles properly 95% of the time, but the trigger is the heaviest I've ever experienced in any rifle, period.
My A17 is the Target Sporter Laminate model and out of the box, the trigger was terrible. It had an extremely heavy pull and a mile of pretravel/creep and if that wasn't bad enough, all that pretravel was crunchy and notchy as he11. As you pulled the trigger it literally felt like you were dragging something across a gravel road, it was that bad so a trigger tune, at least on mine, was a must!

Once I got the trigger to an acceptable point, I've been VERY impressed with how well my A17 shoots and it actually out shoots my bolt action 17 HMR.

Jard makes a trigger for the A17 so for someone that doesn't want to mess with trying to tune up the trigger themselves, the Jard trigger may be a suitable option.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:42 PM
TiminMB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine has a completely different trigger assembly than I have yet seen on the internet. It doesn't have the three springs, nor does it have the one spring that does some sort of double duty. It has two springs, one at the rear going straight up and down, simply between the trigger and the plastic housing. Then, further inside, it has a singe spring angled at about 45 degrees forward that works the safety blade. I'll see if I can post a picture. Must be a third or 4th generation A17 accutrigger.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:51 PM
TiminMB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1198.JPG (30.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-08-2019, 03:17 PM
TiminMB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Better view with the adjustable spring removed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1204.JPG (23.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 PM
TiminMB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I cut a bit off the end of the adjustable accutrigger spring, and bent it into the same shape as the cut off end, having a "spike" coming up from the center to secure it in position in the trigger housing. I then screwed the spring as far down as it would go in the trigger and reassembled. It produced a nice light trigger, but, the sear would not engage when the hammer was released by the disconnect.

It seems that there needs to be a certain minimum weight, that is fairly high, to engage the sear. Otherwise you will wind up in the situation that the bolt cycles and your trigger seems jammed, because it instead of having the hammer held back by the sear, it is instead held back by what I am guessing is the safety hooks on the safety trigger (inner accutrigger).

So, I unscrewed the accutrigger spring from the trigger until it had enough weight to engage the sear reliably again. Not a lot accomplished in the end.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM
stockranger

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
You might just look into the Jard trigger...