Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Joe A.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trigger pull weights

Last night I checked the pull weight again on my Mark IV Hunter. It measured 3 pounds 12 ounces as always. So, I thought I would compare it to another handgun. My S&W 629 Classic caught my eye first so I pulled it out. The trigger pull on the 629 3 pounds 14 ounces. But, the trigger pull on the 629 feels a lot lighter than on the Hunter, a lot lighter. I just a little more than touch it and its gone. So what gives?

The Mark IV shoots great for me. I'm now shooting small targets such as fired shotgun shells, golf balls, empty rf boxes, etc at 25 yards. I'm hitting more than I miss. The 22 cartridge boxes are a sure hit. Will the Volquartsen accuracy kit improve the number of hits? Also, will the trigger break be similar to my 629? I'm not talking about pull weight.

Thanks

Joe
Old 06-06-2019, 07:47 AM
sipos88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Mk4 has the worse stock trigger out of all my Ruger Marks.
The Mk2痴 all are around 2lbs with stock or VQ teigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You will be able to set the pre-travel on it and reduce a ton of the takeup. In essence, that would give you a more similar pull to a Smith double action with the hammer cocked. Not completely, as there will have to be a little travel to allow it to reset properly, but yes with the kit in and all tuned up, its a really big improvement.

I've put VQ kits in a pair of MKIII 22/45's and a pair of MKIV's (one standard, one 22/45). The MKIV standard has close to 10000rds and is well worn in. Breaks at like 1.3-1.4lbs. All of the others are pretty much 1.5lbs. Only comparison I have is a 1980 model MKI Standard that is all factory and breaks at 3lbs even.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:58 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Volquartsen accuracy kit will help your overall trigger substantially, reducing both pre-travel and over-travel. However, even if the trigger pull weight on your Ruger is less than that of your Smith & Wesson revolver, the revolver's trigger will still have a more crisp break. It's just the nature of those two different actions. Of course that is just my opinion.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:01 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M 617 has a light trigger, 6 1/2 pounds and feels great. I no longer have single action but if I stage the trigger it's sweeter than my stock Mark IVs. The VQ kit will give you a great triggers. It should end up at 2 - 2 1/2 pounds. Once you add the trigger you have more adjustment, as stated above.

If you like you 3 + pound trigger just go to Tandemkross and get one of their triggers. It won't reduce your trigger pull but will give you the advantages of the VQ trigger.

VQ trigger brought my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite down to 1 pound 5 oz. Sweet. Beats any revolver trigger.

Last edited by AzShooter; 06-07-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:25 AM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I知 leaning heavily for the Volquartsen kit. I知 hoping for a pull in range of 2-2.5 pounds (prefer not to go under 2 pounds if possible) with shorter pre travel and over travel.

Thanks for the replies

Joe
Old 06-07-2019, 06:11 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bit the bullet and ordered the Volquartsen Accuracy Kit a while ago. Having it shipped snail mail since I値l may not have time to install it for a few days. Grandson coming to shoot with me for a few days next week.

Joe
Old 06-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put the Volquartson kit in both my MK IV target and MK III 22/45 lite. The trigger pull in both was above 5# before the swap. Now it's 2 1/2# in each just like advertised. Reduced trigger pull isn't the only benefit you get with the kit. Properly adjusted all the slop is gone. I'm sure the TandemKross trigger is a good piece of equipment but I don't like straight triggers and find the Volquarson trigger about perfect.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put the Volquartson kit in both my MK IV target and MK III 22/45 lite. The trigger pull in both was above 5# before the swap. Now it's 2 1/2# in each just like advertised. Reduced trigger pull isn't the only benefit you get with the kit. Properly adjusted all the slop is gone. I'm sure the TandemKross trigger is a good piece of equipment but I don't like straight triggers and find the Volquarson trigger about perfect. Using the US measuring chart for gloves I have medium sizes hands if that helps.

The Ruger's triggers now aren't quite as good as the triggers on my S&W revolvers or my 1911s but they are close. I am very satisfied with the upgrades.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:44 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen kit arrived this morning. Grandson had Church camp this week so he was unable to come this week. That gave me a chance to install it.

Installation went smooth with only a small bit of trouble aligning pins which I expected. I probably spent more time organizing and staying organized than actually installing.

Trigger pull is great at slightly under 2 pounds with minimal take up and hardly any over travel. I adjusted each to fail and then backed off until I was comfortable with both pre travel and over travel. I知 surprised at how crisp the trigger pull is now.

Later this evening I will head to pasture to try it out. Hopefully the lock tight will be somewhat set. I知 not waiting until tomorrow.

Joe
Old 06-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (117)
FWIW, I installed the Volquartsen kit in my new MK IV Standard yesterday and the pull is a very consistent 2 lbs. I would not want it any lighter. Kit is a little pricey in my opinion, but the improvement is worth it to me.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 PM
Joe A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastprime View Post
FWIW, I installed the Volquartsen kit in my new MK IV Standard yesterday and the pull is a very consistent 2 lbs. I would not want it any lighter. Kit is a little pricey in my opinion, but the improvement is worth it to me.
I was hoping for a 2-2.5# pull but I知 pleased with the 1.75# pull. It has a short and light take up. Then a press and its gone. The wall is distinct. I was concerned about a less than a 2# pull but I知 comfortable with it. I have a couple of rifles that measures in the ounces.

I致e just came in from weed eating and after this 70 year old takes a break and eat a bite, I知 going to give it another try. I値l take my portable bench and shoot from a rest for to eliminate my errors. I usually shoot offhand and either do ok or I知 patting myself on the back, but not yesterday.

Joe
Old 06-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Theo98

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Obtained two new MkIV's last year...installed TK Victory Triggers, VQ Sears and VQ Disconnectors to get pull weights down from:

*MkIV Hunter - OOB pull weight 5.25#, now 1.25# with 3\32" total travel

*MkIV 22\45 Lite - OOB pull weight 5.75#, now 1.5# with 3\32" total travel

Overall additions and pics located HERE!

The crisp, break-like-glass actions also improved my bulls eye accuracy and precision...they Still shoot better than I can, probably always will!!

Ted