Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 PM
ScoobyDoo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Stupid Question - Tracking?

Hi. I keep hearing the term "tracking" - for example, I heard someone say that getting a Protektor Model rear bag with the Slick Silver finish on it would help the rifle track better. I've also heard similar expressions about the rifle "tracking better" in other contexts. What the heck does that mean?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 AM
cdiver2
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tracking for me is. I shoot free recoil and when the rifle is returned to battery after a shot it goes back to the original point of aim. That for me is the tracking is good.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Tad_E

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Tracking: How the rifle moves in the rest when slid fore and aft simulating recoil and returning to the front stop as viewed through the scope. When looking through the scope and rifle slid fore and aft does the crosshairs move off of where the rifle was originally aimed? Left, right, or up and down.

Tracking can be referred to a stock or to a rest/rest system. My definition is pretty close to the above poster but would also include how the rifle behaves during recoil. It is important for a rifle to return to POA or close by after the shot and rifle returned to the stop, but the biggest effect tracking will have on your shooting is how the rifle moves during recoil. If the rifle tracks crooked in the rest during recoil, most importantly the very beginning of recoil, that is going to effect where the barrel is pointing in relation to the target before the bullet leaves the barrel. Shot to shot, the bullets will travel the length of the barrel in differing amouts of time so in a setup that has the rifle not tracking very well, the bullets will be leaving the barrel at different points of a curved path causing difference in point of impact. You may say there is no way for the small amount of movement the rifle will see before the bullet leaves the barrel can effect the point of impact but if you do the math and see how much just 0.001" of movement at the barrel will move the point of impact you will be shocked that you can ever hit anything, or at least I was.

Now none of this is to say that a perfect straight line style stock and one piece rest setup is the only way to ever shoot good because many have and will prove that wrong but a good straight line stock and one piece rest setup right and tracking well just takes another variable out of the equation. I'm not sure what your setup is for rifle and rest but most likely if it doesn't track well there are ways of fixing it. Some harder than others but do-able. If your setup shoots well already it may be no point in helping the tracking other than personal satisfaction.

Tad

Last edited by Tad_E; 05-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 12:20 PM
ScoobyDoo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
That makes sense. Thank you for the replies!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tracking for me was reading/following deer tracks to see if its a buck or doe and walking/stalking it down. My other definition is keeping a bunny, coyote or whatever in the front sights as its running.

Al the tracker
Old 06-16-2019, 09:56 AM
USMCDOC
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Tracking for me was reading/following deer tracks to see if its a buck or doe and walking/stalking it down. My other definition is keeping a bunny, coyote or whatever in the front sights as its running.

Al the tracker
what stupid response
Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In addition to the rifle tracking as posted above, there is also scope tracking.

A scope is tracking correctly if each adjustment returns POI to the same spot as it was when previously set there. So once sighted, adjusting the windage knob 3 clicks left and then 3 clicks right should return POI to the same hole.