DuckDuckGO - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:54 PM
seaswol
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DuckDuckGO

If you have used DuckDuckGo (DDG) what are your opinions? The more I read about Chrome, it becomes less attractive. Or is a VPN the real way to go as a home user?
Thank you.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:21 PM
toppkatt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
VPN is good. If you can set this up and use it that's they way I'd go. I don't care for duckduckgo.

Last edited by toppkatt; 05-05-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have the PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN but seldom use it from home. We're rural enough that I'm not too worried about anyone snooping on our wireless. When we're away from home in a motel or doing anything critical on the phone is another matter and that's when I use it.

It's more trouble than it's worth to use a VPN with Google. When Google recognizes you are using a VPN they want you to prove you're a human. That's the thing where they show you a bunch of pictures and you click all the ones with cars or something. The poor low-resolution pictures they use are hard to decipher and I sometimes can't get past them.

Another Google alternative is StartPage.com, which claims to be "The world's most private search engine". Their reputation is good. Try them.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:40 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have used it and I liked it a lot. It kept my website info and history clear of unwanted stuff.

Then I had something weird happen . I got one of those virus messages on my iPhone. It would not let me change screens . Shutting down and restarting did not help. I could not get out of it to get into my settings to clear everything.

I was sold on it until that happened
Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 PM
jimp42

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VPN does something completely different from a more private search provider.

VPN hides the traffic in the pipe. Essentially what the VPN does is keep your ISP from seeing every site you visit and selling that info. They can see the content also if you arenít using https instead of http. Doesnít do anything about the tracking and data gathering that happens on the websites you visit. DDG or one of the other more private search engines doesnít do anything except deny Google all your search data. Ublock Origin is probably the best tool for suppressing all the tracking and data gathering. I do all three (VPN is NordVPN and only part of the time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toppkatt View Post
I don't care for duckduckgo.
Me either.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
FWIW, I noticed that the usual robocalls I receive changed when I began using DuckDuckGo. It seems that DuckDuckGo threw the robocallers off a bit.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
Another Google alternative is StartPage.com, which claims to be "The world's most private search engine". Their reputation is good. Try them.
I don't know much about this topic, but it appears that Startpage.com requires one to trust Google, as it says that Startpage pays Google to use Google's search engine without tracking. How does Startpage pay Google? That said, I don't know how DuckDuckGo does this for free either.

Does a truly private search engine even exist?