Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ADJUSTMENTS / STEADY Hold Factors

My daughter (Shannon/10 yrs old) attended an Appleseed 2 weekends ago with her personal goal of earning her distinguished patch (above 240 score with a scope).

She managed a 238.....best she could muster at that event.

Since then she has shot 3 NRA 800 Aggregates across the course in High Power (HP) and has managed decent (Master) prone scores and Expert Rapid Seated and Prone scores.

This weekend after our HP match....I thought "I need to check her stock length in positions again". I noticed the stock seemed to be loose in her shoulder.

We are gearing up for the 2nd biggest dances for us competition wise this year. The 2019 CMP Eastern Games, where she will compete in Rimfire Sporter and also HP rifle matches for 9 days.

Yesterday, after we staged our gear for the upcoming weekend....I had her put her gear on, and grab her rimfire sporter rifle.

She is using a Blackhawk Axiom stock, with an adjustable buttstock for length. Currently, it is all the way in/closed at position zero.

I extended it one notch, and had her sling up and get in seated and prone. She said "WOW.....much better, but it could be a bit longer". We went out to position 2 on the stock. "This is PERFECT".

Rifle remains in her shoulder when she removes her trigger hand.

IF ONLY Daddy had recognized this a few weeks ago....she would have likely earned her Distinguished patch! She did point that out to me, and I agree.

We then grabbed her service rifle (AR)....and adjusted that one position out for seated and prone. Same response "This is PERFECT"!

Point I am making here.....is two fold. For youths especially.....and even adults, as your body changes (for youths....maybe they grow a bit.....for adults, maybe a weight gain, or loss).....we need to be conscious of this and ADJUST!

The other point, and likely more accurate, is

AS A SHOOTER GETS MORE TIME ON THE RIFLE AND EXPERIENCE, steady hold factors will improve.

What may have worked for a 210 Rifleman score.....may actually be holding one back from a better score.

As the position gets better/more solid.....the sling may need to become tighter, the stock may need to get lengthened, etc.

In my case....I used to have my stock different by one position shorter for seated than prone. As seated became more stable/comfy(it is never comfy), I found that my prone setting works perfect for seated.

So....do not be afraid to experiment, as the body becomes more used to/comfy with the positions of seated and prone....you can likely improve that score some by tightening a sling or lengthening a stock a bit.

Hold Hard and Favor Center! Keep em in the V or X ring!

R/
Chris