PSA 22LR AR failure to feed - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:46 PM
ronnieh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Both the better mag adapter and catch22 bolt stop will hold the bolt open after removing the magazine. Nice just using the charging handle once. The s&w mags are first rate.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:17 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my case the hold open latch would not work and I would have to use the charging handle twice anyway. That is because with this California centerfire lower (the only ones I have in my CA home) I have to break the gun open to change the magazines and that releases the bolt any way.

"Things" are always much more complicated in the liberal progressive state of California, especially when it comes to guns.

LDBennett
Old 04-29-2019, 08:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If the rifle is rimfire none of the CA AW rules apply

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Old 04-29-2019, 08:43 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
octanejunkie:

That is absolute correct and I know that in the 22LR assemblage it is not an AW with an operational mag release button but....

I have one lower, two centerfire uppers and one 22LR rimfire upper here in California. The lower is configured to be California legal with the centerfires. The adjustment of the mag button device that makes it a fixed magazine rifle and not an AW is critical and a pain in the butt to get perfect. There is no way I will remove it from the lower just to use the 22LR upper.

The longer term use of the 22LR upper is on a lower I have in another state that has an operational magazine drop button. But I just got this 22LR upper and needed to test it before moving it to the other more gun friendly state. It was good that I did the testing in California because I have been having troubles with ammo feeding. I want it working reliably before I take the 22LR upper to the vacation home where I have virtually no gunsmithing tools.

LDBennett
Old 04-29-2019, 09:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Build a dedicated 22 lower for your 22 upper. Problem solved

Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You know if it was just the small amount of money for the bare lower and the parts kit it would be worth it. I have built several lowers over the years...no problem. But in California it is a pain to buy any gun. First off you have to get a license for both handguns and rifles. Then you have to fill out a bunch of government paperwork and any paperwork the selling dealer wants to cover their a--. Then they do a background check via the computer. Then there is the ten day wait period and more government nonsense (like paperwork about you safe). I have spent the better part of an hour just filling out paperwork and another hour renewing my gun buying license.

For all of that I'll break the gun open to drop the magazine and rack it to start the next magazine. I have many guns and rotate through them for shooting. It may take a year or more to get back to any one gun. And this 22LR upper going out of state where it will get shot even less than if it was at home here in California.

LDBennett
Old 04-29-2019, 10:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not to come off as argumentive but there's only one form to fill out, the 4473, and it's the same everywhere.

For a rifle purchase you don't need anything except a current-year hunting license and a valid CA ID, plus secondary proof of address; vehicle registration works just fine if it has the same address as your CA DL.

An FSC (firearms safety certificate) is a five -year card that costs $25 and takes passing a 30 question test with a 75% or better score. There are common sense questions that you really don't even need to study up for, or they hope we shouldn't have to study. An FSC is required for a handgun purchase.

A safe affidavit takes 1 minute to fill out and is just a formality and there is no "safe handling" demonstration for a stripped lower.

But you are correct about the extra hassle and timing/wait involved. Have fun with your 22 AR!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:32 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have many guns all bought in California. The paperwork is dealer dependent. I bought a rifle from Turners and spent an hour filling out their paperwork (computer entry, mostly, on an unfamiliar computer to me) in a busy noisy store. There was a stack of printouts when I finished and most of it was Turner's cover your a-- paperwork. In contrast, a recent purchase through a small dealer had the paperwork you described and nothing more.

I dislike the paperwork. In Arizona even for handguns there is a minimum of paper work and you leave with the gun in hand. To be clear this is what I have observed when my Arizona resident daughter bought two new 1911's at a gun show. There was a NICS check and the purchase process was totally legal in AZ.

Anyway, this break open mag change is temporary for this 22LR upper, as I explained above. I shoot off the bench and this maneuver of breaking the gun open is not that onerous if the gun is not jammed. A good gun never jams...Right???

LDBennett

****EDIT**** 4/30/19
It was at Bass Pro Shop where the stack of paperwork was massive but Turners had their share of cover your a-- paperwork, but a little less of it.

Last edited by LDBennett; 04-30-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:31 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Range trip:

1). Checkout ammo feeding after last change to extractor
2). Figure out what magazines work
3). Figure out what ammo the gun likes
Bonus….do a few groups at 50 feet which is plinking distance.

No failures to feed/ chamber/ extract/eject in over 200 rounds of different ammo it likes.

For some reason it does not like the plastic lipped Black Dog mags but loves the metal lipped Black Dog mags.

It does not like the bulk Federal (copper plated bullets, #745, Bulk Value Pack). There were feeding problems with it and only it.

It put 20+ rounds of Federal AutoMatch into one ragged hole with a max size of 3/4 inch. It put 20+ rounds of CCI Std Vel into one ragged hole with a max size of 1/2 inch. That was with a Burris FastFire red dot, using my macular degenerated shooting eye, at 50 feet on a rest.

The intended purpose of this gun is plinking at ranges NOT much more than 50 feet. I think it will do! In fact it is probably overkill but it sure looks neat!

DONE!

LDBennett
Old 05-01-2019, 06:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice! I'm glad it worked out

I shoot my PSA/CMMG AR22s from 50 to 100 YARDS. That is what I consider plinking