Ol' MO needs some input on this tent please!! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:35 PM
MoMan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Ol' MO needs some input on this tent please!!

I'm getting ready for the Shawnee hunt this year, and will be needing a tent.

I have a 2015 Ford F-150, and am thinking about this tent:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...truck+bed+tent

My question is, has anyone used one of these?
Also, I have a fold-up hard tonneau cover that folds against the back window.
Like this:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Do you see any problems that I might encounter? I measured everything out, and it looks to me like it'll work.
What say ye??
Old 04-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
By watching the vid I'd say it seems like a deal but, I'd sleep on an air mattress just in case of leaks somewhere.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
My boss has one.. I bummed it once.. loved it.. beats putting a tent on the ground IMO.. in some areas there is NO DECENT SPOT for a tent.. thus, get the truck level and bingo .. as stated by ol' Al a 6 to 8" thick air mattress is the ticket ..

Old 04-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Don't forget it doesn't come with the rain fly
Old 04-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Forget I said that
Old 04-16-2019, 03:47 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamokinbob View Post
Don't forget it doesn't come with the rain fly
Tru Dat... shop around till ya find one ya like WITH the rain fly.. or even a awning as well... spend the extra money IF you see rain in your camping future.

https://www.amazon.com/SportZ-Truck-...SPW1ZN8CQ7VHCC
Old 04-16-2019, 04:04 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It has the fly, picture is without, I spoke without reading down the lines
Old 04-16-2019, 09:25 PM
MoMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
By watching the vid I'd say it seems like a deal but, I'd sleep on an air mattress just in case of leaks somewhere.
Yea, I'm figuring on an air mattress as well. I have a stall mat in my bed liner, but am still going to go with the air mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamokinbob View Post
It has the fly, picture is without, I spoke without reading down the lines
Yea, it comes with the rainfly, they do weird things with the pictures on their site.

Sounds like I'm gonna get me 1 ordered, so I'll be "off the ground" camping!!

Thanks for the comments! It really is much appreciated! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!
Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 PM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If snow is possible, how will it hold up?
Two pole dome tents don't like snow and will collapse under a pretty light snowfall.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:52 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
I don't have one (I have a tool box in the bed of my truck) but my cousin does and gives it high marks. He not only uses it to sleep out on the deer lease, but also takes it to the beach so that he and family members can discretely change out of their swimming attire while on the beach. This reduces the amount of beach sand in the cab.

When he hunts, its colder so he uses a rolled foam cushion which is warmer than an air mattress. As stated above, a pitched tarp - fly would be recommended for shade or precipitation.

Good luck and have fun !
Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 AM
MoMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovannes View Post
If snow is possible, how will it hold up?
Two pole dome tents don't like snow and will collapse under a pretty light snowfall.
I don't anticipate using it under those conditions, but that is a good point for anyone who may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
When he hunts, its colder so he uses a rolled foam cushion which is warmer than an air mattress. As stated above, a pitched tarp - fly would be recommended for shade or precipitation.

Good luck and have fun !
I thought about a foam cushion, I'm still not sure which way I'll go for a mattress. I do have a bedliner, and stall mat in there, so that should give me some insulation value, and I have a couple of different sleeping bags to choose from, based upon the weather.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help this Ol' guy make up his mind.

I just got an Email that SG is doing a double discount on camping items for their members, which I am. I'm sure it is not a coincidence, they know I've researched it, so why not.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:23 AM
MoMan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Done deal! Thanks for your input!!

I ordered the tent this morning, and also ordered a "low profile" cot to keep me up a bit. When it comes in, I'll have to do a dry run and see how everything goes.

I know I'm a bit premature with all of this, BUT Ol' MO is really stoked about getting to the hunt this year, and meeting some new Folks!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Funny no one has mentioned it , but for the Shawnee hunt area it gets you off the ground and away from any possible snake encounters.

John
Old 04-17-2019, 10:55 AM
ChefDuane
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A buddy of mine had one of those. Pretty slick. He also had one of those collapsible 10x10 awnings that he would park the truck under when sleeping. It acted as an additional cover if it rained and during the day he would move the truck/tent our from under it and use it as a campsite cover.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My wife wanted one for her F-150, 6' 10" bed two years ago. For a yearly women's week end at her family camp. So I got her one made by another manufacturer, and a full bed 10" air mattress. We have a trifold tonneau.

I folded, and removed the cover. Then set up the tent at home, putting the air mattress in, and blowing it up. We then loaded in soft items, pulled the top supports, folded the tent in, and put the cover back on.

When she got to camp she needed very little help to remove the cover, and put the supports back in, to set it back up. She said it works great, but you won't get me crawling around in the bed of a truck like that any more.

When she leaves camp she does the same thing, and I help her tear it apart, and store it when she gets home.