Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Probably done with Gun Shows

Today I took a co-worker to a Gun Show, with the idea of finding a beat-up Military Surplus Rifle, that I could Slow rust blue all metal, as well as re-finish the stock for Him.

Besides the over-priced $12 admission, the overall price for Surplus Rifles has gotten quite silly. Standard Mosin-Nagants were averaging $330 or more, even with some of the stocks looking like they were dragged behind a Truck. Any Mauser, M1 Garand, British SMLE, Swiss K-31, or any of the typical Military Surplus that is common, has gone off the charts, and Dealers don't want to budge on prices. He did find some 7.62x39 ammo for a decent deal, so we didn't go out empty handed.

Overall, I'm finding that Gun shows more and more are geared towards those who are new to Firearms, who don't know prices, don't know firearms, and the dealers are lazy, often incompetent, and arrogant. One Silver lining, was that we did meet a decent Dealer who showed us the Cimarron line of SAA, and I may just end up buying one of these Pietta, or Uberti reproductions.

Any of you feel the same way about Gun shows these days?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I used to frequent the shows in the late 70's through the 80's and then worked the shows with two other guys during the Clinton years. They were turning into carnivals and venders were definitely jerks. Product, new and used, were way overpriced, find something you liked hit any store on the way home and get a better deal.

After not going for years broke down and went around two years ago, never ever again in this lifetime will I go for another time waste, called a gunshow.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:29 PM
62Ranger13
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep. I'll probably never go to another gun show again.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:45 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The last several gunshows I attended, I attended as security for the show. Gunshows are for the promoter to make money. Pure and simple. Look at the table prices, parking fees, entry fees. A promoter could care less if a vendor makes a nickel. I would say that if you spend the money to attend a gunshow, simply look at it as a form of entertainment like a movie or something. Last gunshow I was at as security was about four years ago, haven't been to another since. No reason to go now as all that stuff is on the internet and you don't have to deal with a surly vendor.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:47 PM
Gavetta

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
gunshows

why all this negativiy? bought a nagant revolver.fellow trew ammo worth the price of the gun,found a spoterized norwegian krag carbine.go or dont go.why do you whine about it?cheers pepe
Old 03-23-2019, 09:55 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lately there has been lots of empty tables. I've literally missed out on great deals as the guy in front of me sees it and asks about and ends up buying it. I got a good m12 16ga. and my hm2 cz within last couple years. Cleaning items, gunsmith tools and reloading supplies are best prices around. Plus I look at it as entertainment. Cheaper than going to a bad movie. I've picked up some scopes and rings at good prices too. My cousin keeps saying he is done with them but always finds something. I bought a stock blank a few years back for next to nothing and that started me on woodworking for my guns. So I guess I'm still going.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:33 PM
dufferDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
agree completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock28 View Post
Any of you feel the same way about Gun shows these days?
Yeah, all of your comments are painfully familiar.

Plus, I am more than a little frustrated that all the attention at gun shows these days seems to be on AR-15s and accessories. At the last show I attended in Ft Worth I never did see ANY accessory or upgrade parts for 1022s.

I am too cheap to spend $10 for admission to an event that is totally useless to me.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have bought and sold a number of guns at gun shows but I find parts and scopes quite regularly. Just picked up a scope recently that if I sold it the profit would pay for all the gun shows I go to in a year for several years. Our shows are only $6-8 dollars and a couple of shows let veterans in free.
My buddy and I typically will make the day of it and hit every gun store around on the way to and from the show. Not many days do we come home empty handed just empty walleted.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:56 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i still go to them.

I will look at toys and if i find what i want at a good price, i may jump on it. But if not....easy come, easy go.

I also go there to chat with friends i havent seen in while too.

to each his own.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:50 AM
leenie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am going to one later today. I don't need anything I buy on the internet lately.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Funny you should mention that "not buying" thing ....... I have had good experiences buying here at RFC, except one. I gave the seller an "OK" before I actually shot the rifle. At gun shows, at least you get to take a good look at what you're getting, and be sure to bring a bore light. I'm surprised at how many people sell guns at the show that haven't been cleaned. If the dealer at the show is asking a fair price, I'm good with that. If they have jacked up the price just because of greed or arrogance, I'll try to barter if I'm really interested. You at least need to know what the average price of the item sells for elsewhere. If they don't want to accept a fair price, they can take it home and eat it for supper.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:17 AM
Cold Bore
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (31)
I haven't been to one in a few years, and before that it was only sporadically for at least another decade. Every time, I say I'm done. Then, years later, I'll get the itch, HOPING that something has changed, and I'll go to one, only to find out that the only thing that has changed is that they've managed to get even worse.

Gun shows in the 70's, 80's, and even some in the 90's were good and worth going to.

For the past 20 years, they've been a joke, and only going downhill from there.

Sad.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 AM
jabber6
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock28 View Post

Besides the over-priced $12 admission, the overall price for Surplus Rifles has gotten quite silly. Standard Mosin-Nagants were averaging $330 or more, even with some of the stocks looking like they were dragged behind a Truck. Any Mauser, M1 Garand, British SMLE, Swiss K-31, or any of the typical Military Surplus that is common, has gone off the charts, and Dealers don't want to budge on prices. He did find some 7.62x39 ammo for a decent deal, so we didn't go out empty handed.
Sounds like OAKS where I was yesterday...
Old 03-24-2019, 08:15 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs down north georgia area

I don't attend anymore, 15.00 admission, high prices for some junk on the tables, so much stuff not related to guns, if you know what I mean ! I have a very large gun shop 15 miles away that always has a great selection, and I can look all I want FREE !!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:27 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I

worked many a gun show as a security officer in early 2000's. Entry fees were reasonable, $5.00. Now they start at $15.00. Never purchased anything but reloading supplies from the vendors. Some of the vendors had literally junk on their tables. Most military rifles were beat and the stocks looked like tomato stakes.

Haven't been to one in years. Don't work them anymore since I retired. I agree with many of you, the shows have gone downhill on most everything. And, the prices they want for reloading supplies boggles the mind.

I seriously doubt I will ever set foot in another "show."

Pat G