...and LATER to the game. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

You have already received a lot of very good advice. I dont know how old your eyes are, but we all get older and find that more is better, when it comes to magnification.

I have had some of my scopes for many years and have found if you buy a good quality scope (buy once cry once) you will much happier in the long run.

Best of Luck!
Wonderdog1
Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 PM
zara_puppy
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 hmr

I picked up a Savage 93R17 laminate stock, 21 barrel just to play with. Put a Nikon shotgun scope - 2X7X40 on it with medium rings. Used a shotgun scope for the eye relief. Ammo is Hornaday 17gr V-Max. Everything out of the box. Shoots 1/2 @50 yards and 7/8 at 100. Target is just a 3 1/2 circle. Rest is a rolled up pair of Carharts. Ive no doubt it will shoot 1/2 at 100 yards from a lead sled. POI at 100 yards is almost the exact same as it is at 50 yards.

I got it for fox down to ground squirrels at a max distance of 125 yards. Ill leave it out at the father in laws farm to mess with. Total cost right around $550. Something to toss on your shoulder for a walk in the woods.

Excellent set up and accuracy for the cost. Just my experience (albeit recent).

Note: Do you know the difference between in-laws and out-laws?

Outlaws are wanted.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:34 PM
USCGret
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx agn all....retired a few years ago...62 already...yep, eyes tired. The magnification suggestions are spot-on.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
USCGret,
Take a look at Mueller Optics. I have two of their scopes and am super please with their optics, very clear edge to edge and track perfectly. I run an 8-32 X 44 mm on my Anschutz 1517 17 HMR and love it. Plenty of magnification for punching paper, dial it down to deal with mirage or take it way lower for closer work.
You can buy direct from them and get very fast delivery. I also have a 40x56 on my bench rest rifle, both have side focus turrets and are 1/8" adjustments not 1/4 to be able to really dial them in. I'll be 73 this fall and the old eyes just don't work like they use to. My theory is, get a lot of magnification and dial it down as needed. One thing for sure if you cant see it, you can hit it.
Good luck,
Kiddshooter
Old 03-21-2019, 10:06 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
USCGret, I am 2 1/2 months shy of 78. And I can see again! I had worn glasses since I was 10 years old. My right eye is/was a slave eye. I got a BB gun for my 5th birthday and only remember trying to shoot it right handed one time. The day I got it. I switched to left handed shooting.

Last Aug/Sep I had cataract surgery in both eyes. I spent an extra K+$ for a one notch up better lens for my left eye, and just the generic, insurance paid for lens for the right eye. I never knew how people with good eyesight could see. Now I think I do. My near vision still requires readers for small print or poor light, but it would have been several more K$ to get past the readers. And my right eye is reading 20/25 which it never did before. 20/15 in the left.

Anyway, with all that said, I use a 4x18AO x 44mm Mueller on my 17HMR. I have been using either Nikon or Muellers on my rifles for the past several years. I do have a Sweet22 BSA 3x9AO 40mm on a CZ Silhouette, that I bought years ago and it has been a really good scope. But, as has been mentioned, go for as much magnification as you can afford within reason. Bench Rest at 100 yd.s maybe 40X is needed, but at least 16 to 24 is a good range. I have 3x9s on my hunting rifles, most of them have AO. The only one that doesn't is my .22WMR which carries a Nikon P223 3x9 44m. I wish it did, but only because I can't really shoot it in an indoor range because of poor light and parallax set at a 100 yd.s. Parallax, even at low power is a killer at 25 yd,.s. At 60 yd.s, I can get .5-.6 in. groups with 40 gr. WMR ammo. The Muellers have been good scopes. I have 3 of them.

With all these suggestions, I know you will select a scope that will meet your expectations. Let us know what you finally decide on. Good Shooting!

VH
Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just put the BSA Sweet 17 AO 3X-12X 40mm (17-312X40AOWRTB) on my Garrow Dev upper in 17HMR but have not shot it yet.

The price was right ($70 delivered from Amazon, $75 on ebay) and with 17gr BDC built into the scope it should be good out to 300 yards.

In my brief experience from zeroing the rifle at 50 yards, it actually shot about 1-1.5" high at 100 yards. I plan to sight in this scope at 100 yards and see how it prints at varoius yardages using the AO and turret adjustments.

I'll start a thread on this rifle (upper/scope combo) once I get it dialed in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by octanejunkie; 03-22-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks octanejunkie.

It will be very interesting to hear how that BSA with HMR turret prints compared to where the turret say it should print....been curious about that for a while.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumas View Post
Thanks octanejunkie.

It will be very interesting to hear how that BSA with HMR turret prints compared to where the turret say it should print....been curious about that for a while.
The zeroing process involves getting POA and POI aligned at 100, then loosening the set screws on the elevation drum and setting it to 100.

I'm interested to see how accurate the turret is at 200 and 300 after zeroing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 01:59 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx Agn all! Greatly appreciate the info....especially on senior eyes!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The scopes used for long distance shooting are not a very good match for your rifle. The American is a light weight barrel and a small, round forearm. Putting a large, long-distant scope on it seems like a real miss match. Your beautiful, accurate, light weight American sporter deserves a sleek scope to match. for a 17hmr you can go up in magnification to a 16, 18 or 20 power, but keep it light like a 1inch tube on a Weaver GS if you can find one. If you are serious about shooting long distance, I very much like my Vortex Diamondback Tactical in 4-24x. It is a first focal plane scope, but has some heft to it. I paid $330 for mine and thought it was a steal at that price. I am sure that your CZ American can shoot lights out, but it will look like a small sedan with truck tires if you pare it with many of the scopes mentioned. Put a good, light, compact scope on your American and find another rifle more suited to mount the large high powered scopes needed for long range shooting. Just my $0.02. Burt
Old 05-25-2019, 05:33 PM
USCGret

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx Burt. I agree with you on the aesthetics of the CZ 452/455 American...beautiful and classical lines, IMO. I'm using a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR on it at the moment. Yes, probably not enough magnification, but it looks good and I still haven't really tried longer distances with it yet. Been working on a variety of vintage .22 rifles and shooting shorter distances.