Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Starbuck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JPE AR-22 Feed Ramp Polishing?

So my new JP-22 complete upper, with Black Dog mags, is shaving some lead from each bullet nose as the rounds are chambered. The upper is mated to a JP lower, FWIW.

Accuracy is crap, I assume due to this issue - around 3MOA with match ammo.

Should I polish the feed ramp, or something else?

I have emailed JP for their advice, but thought I'd make my first post here, after hanging out since 2015.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
For what you've paid, you expect a better result. I would leave this to JPE rather than polish, grind, cut or otherwise alter anything.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
For what you've paid, you expect a better result. I would leave this to JPE rather than polish, grind, cut or otherwise alter anything.
I agree with zuk on this. For what those JP uppers cost, they should run beautifully out of the box. Have you tried several mags, or perhaps a S&W mag? Different ammo? Be advised if trying the S&W mags, ideally you need to shim either the mag OR the magwell itself to remove excess "slop". Plenty of info on here regarding this.

I'm not sure what the breech of the JP barrel looks like (integral feed ramp; or CMMG style collar, other?) but I guess if one could see an OBVIOUS burr or sharp edge on the ramp area perhaps you COULD risk a light stone or polish. I would be careful though, perhaps you don't want to risk voiding JP's warranty (if any). Let us know what you decide...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Starbuck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
I agree with zuk on this. For what those JP uppers cost, they should run beautifully out of the box. Have you tried several mags, or perhaps a S&W mag? Different ammo? Be advised if trying the S&W mags, ideally you need to shim either the mag OR the magwell itself to remove excess "slop". Plenty of info on here regarding this.

I'm not sure what the breech of the JP barrel looks like (integral feed ramp; or CMMG style collar, other?) but I guess if one could see an OBVIOUS burr or sharp edge on the ramp area perhaps you COULD risk a light stone or polish. I would be careful though, perhaps you don't want to risk voiding JP's warranty (if any). Let us know what you decide...
Totally agree that this upper should have shot well out of the box...

I have tried several different BD mags, as well as five types of match-grade ammo, and the results are the same.

I will await the response from JPE before I even try a light polishing, as there are no obvious burrs on the feed ramp or the chamber mouth.

I will update this thread when I hear back from JPE.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:24 PM
Conaso
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try CCI AR Tactical or Mini-Mags. I have no trouble whatsoever, accuracy is roughly 1/2 inch at 50 yards. Velocity is around 1150fps, you have an 18" barrel so target grade ammo will be slow.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:32 AM
Starbuck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaso View Post
Try CCI AR Tactical or Mini-Mags. I have no trouble whatsoever, accuracy is roughly 1/2 inch at 50 yards. Velocity is around 1150fps, you have an 18" barrel so target grade ammo will be slow.
I will try the CCI AR Tactical - which has performed poorly for me in other rifles, i.e. 2MOA or so - and report back here. I have some around the house.

I do not want to derail my own thread by responding to your comment about barrel length affecting MV, so let's leave that for a different discussion.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Conaso

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Starbuck, you have something seriously wrong with that upper. I never have seen shaved bullets in my JP22. I was surprised how well mine fed ammo. I tried different brands of standard velocity, and mid-grade tgt ammo, i.e., Fed 510, CCI Select, Wolf Target, SK Std+. I even tried Norma TAC22. A friend gave me a box of Lapua Ctr-X. None of it stood out. I just thought that .75-1", or a little worse, at 50yds was to be expected.

One day I brought some CCI MM someone gave me. I never use the stuff. I just wanted to shoot it up and get it out of my ammo safe. Well, it provided the best groups. The CCI AR Tactical also was good. I got flyers but I thought it's not tgt grade.

I know the barrel length comment sounds like BS - I'll place the sign around my neck and hang my head in shame. But I can't figure out why else it shot so well. Maybe I just got real lucky with MM (1140fps) and AR Tactical (1150fps).

Anyway, I wouldn't touch that rifle except to send it back to JP.

Last edited by Conaso; 02-20-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Starbuck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spoke to JPE today. Very positive outcome, as I expected.

They said I could send the upper back to them for evaluation, repair, or replacement.

OR, they said, I could give the feed ramp and chamber mouth a light polishing with felt/rouge, or extra fine Cratex, and see if that fixes things.

Best thing, is that they said that if I opt to polish myself and it doesn't correct the upper's accuracy issue, or, if I make it worse, they will still stand behind, i.e. replace the barrel, as a last resort, no questions asked. This level of product support is of course outstanding.

So, I will attempt the polishing myself. I am not afraid. Stay tuned.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:46 AM
Starbuck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I polished the feed ramp myself and this did not improve the situation.

I sent the complete upper back to JPE, and they say they have replaced the barrel and that it is in route back to me today.

I'll update this thread again after I see how the new barrel shoots.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Conaso

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, how is the replacement JP?