Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
Best Semi Auto

I have sold off most of nmy extra guns and am now thinking of one i have always wanted, but never owned. A good 20ga. semi auto. Walnut is a must. I have a Ruger Red Label I will be selling to pay for the semi auto. I love the looks of the Breda Icaro. Anyone own one, and if not, what is your favorite semi auto? Also what is out there that is quality that is no more than about $1300?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:31 AM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beretta A400 street price will be close, especially without a kick-off.

Used Beretta 391 will be less.

If you prefer inertia-driven, Benelli Montefeltro is the way to go.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel_Hoggson View Post
Beretta A400 street price will be close, especially without a kick-off.

Used Beretta 391 will be less.

If you prefer inertia-driven, Benelli Montefeltro is the way to go.
The only semi's I have owned were 1100's and 11-87's and I did own one Montefeltro and that thing kicked me like no other shotgun I ever owned. Even worse than an old 12 ga sxs with a metal butt plate. I do not understand why, but either the stock was not fit right, or something, but it kicked the heck out of me, and I can take a punch in the shoulder. Just not what I expected out of a good semi auto shotgun I suppose. I would say the softest I ever shot was a Belgium Browning A-5. Felt like melting butter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 02:50 PM
longislandloco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The old reliable.....The Remington 1100 20GA, a steel receiver auto, the Benelli's and Franchi's are nice, but the anodizing tends to rub off quickly at the ejection port, that bothers some folk's.........ME

Look at the Fabarm, very good reviews, but only in 12GA, but a light as many 20's!

Last edited by longislandloco; 01-15-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandloco View Post
the anodizing tends to rub off quickly at the ejection port
Anodizing should not be equated with oxidation finishes applied to anodized aluminum. The finishes rub off, some very easily.

You will see pics of VN era M-16s that appear to have no residual finish. But the underlying anodizing is just fine. Certainly, you can drill/grind/cut your way through it. But that's not what you're seeing on those Benelli ejection ports, unless shell rims have been coated with lapping compound.

Similar confusion exists with respect to nitrocarburized steel. Most always it's just finish that wears, with zero loss of nitrocarburized metal.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I did own one Montefeltro and that thing kicked me like no other shotgun I ever owned. Even worse than an old 12 ga sxs with a metal butt plate. I do not understand why, but either the stock was not fit right, or something, but it kicked the heck out of me, and I can take a punch in the shoulder.
Have to agree. The inertia recoil impulse often bothers shooters more than gas or long-recoil guns. I own a couple 20 ga 391s and a Franchi 48AL20 (long recoil). Sold my 20 ga Montefeltro. That said, I think you'll find an A-400 20 ga - especially with a kickoff system - to be almost recoil-free. Some don't like the appearance, but ugly is as ugly does (IMO).

Overall, the Beretta gas guns rule the repeater niche in sporting clays. Alloy receiver notwithstanding, they are more durable and load-flexible, demand less frequent maintenance. My 12 ga 391 now has about 90k on it, replaced one gas piston and one bolt. Runs like a train.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel_Hoggson View Post
Overall, the Beretta gas guns rule the repeater niche in sporting clays. Alloy receiver notwithstanding, they are more durable and load-flexible, demand less frequent maintenance. My 12 ga 391 now has about 90k on it, replaced one gas piston and one bolt. Runs like a train.
I am guessing that 391 is not made anymore?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:39 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
If i could find a clean older 1100 20 gauge, with the gloss finish like the old Wingmasters, I would be good for one of those.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
I am guessing that 391 is not made anymore?
Yup.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How about an old Browning Auto-5? Yes, it's antiquated compared to more modern designs, but the recoil is more of a push, than a shove. i love my old Light twelve model.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 PM
hawkencougar2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your looking for a nice walnut, solid steel gun to last a long time. Browning 2000 in 20 ga.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/630612...ing-2000-20-ga
Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
Mossberg???

Looks like a winner, and was not expecting it to be a consideration, but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gAiv-rdcQY
Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 PM
RUT
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
>>If i could find a clean older 1100 20 gauge, with the gloss finish like the old Wingmasters, I would be good for one of those.<<

Too bad you're not here in NH, as my buddy has one for sale that's a beauty. LT20 with "enhanced engraving". 28"
Old 01-17-2019, 04:17 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Don't sell your Ruger o/u 20 ga.

Don't sell your Ruger o/u 20 ga. Just get the semi-auto you want. There may be days you will like having an instant choice of chokes and loads. My wife gave me the same Ruger for my 50th birthday, over 25 years ago how time flies by. I had the receiver engraved "Sweetheart" Only gun that will never be sold. I recently bought a walnut & steel Benelli Montefeltro and like it a lot. Cleaning is a lot easier than the gas guns, although they do shoot softer.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
Don't sell your Ruger o/u 20 ga. Just get the semi-auto you want. There may be days you will like having an instant choice of chokes and loads. My wife gave me the same Ruger for my 50th birthday, over 25 years ago how time flies by. I had the receiver engraved "Sweetheart" Only gun that will never be sold. I recently bought a walnut & steel Benelli Montefeltro and like it a lot. Cleaning is a lot easier than the gas guns, although they do shoot softer.
I do not have those luxuries. I am out of work, and have sold several guns already so I can pay bills until I can find work again, but this is one where I need to sell one to buy one. My Ruger has been in the safe for over 6 years now. I squirrel hunt every year, so the Semi Auto would get way more use, even though the Ruger is an awesome gun. I have just been eliminated expensive guns from my collection, and buying less expensive ones to do me as I get older. I just have a daughter that I have already given several guns to for hr and my son-in-law. No nee to hold onto them. Let them use them now and enjoy them. I still have a Savage 16 ga sxs, and a Winchester model 24 12ga. sxs, and one as my fathers uncles, and the Winchester was my grandfathers, so i still have a few doubles that will never be sold.