Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 PM
mstuhr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
4G/LTE antenna questions

Hi folks,
I'm looking for someone who understands 4g/LTE antenna technology.
I am getting my internet with a Yagi antenna from an AT&T cell tower about 4-5 miles away in the Missouri hills and trees.
If I point it like advised, towards the tower I get 5 mbps down and 5 mbps up.
Now, if I turn the Yagi exactly 180 degrees, dead away from the tower, I get a remarkable 22 mbps down. It's been steady and reliable for a couple of months but my upload speeds are .3 mbps for a high. That dogs everything up when more than one machine is competing for upload
My question is if the signal is there why isn't the whole thing there? Why does the down load reflect with such a good signal but little or no upload? Where does it go?
Would an omni directional antenna serve me five miles out and deliver good up and down load speeds?
The yagi is 8 db gain on 30' of cable with a connection on each end and one where 20' joins a 10' piece.
As soon as the snow is off the roof I'm going to try another yagi back to back with the one I have into a tee and see what that gives me.
It is on a rotating pole and I have searched the whole spectrum for a happy medium. There is none.
20+ mbps down is hard to come by around here but I could give up a little for an upload of 1 mbps or more
If anyone has any affordable ideas I'd love to hear them.
Thanks!
Mike