Has anyone found their SA22 Browning to be highly accurate? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 PM
Thisisdonald

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hi Saracen, I'm also in the UK and shoot my unmoderated sa22 at the club's 25y range indoors. Superbly accurate.. easily does 10mm groups off the elbows and less off the bag. I use cci standards, but blazer and American eagle aren't too bad either especially when it comes to the price. It's a .22lr, but I've picked up some cci .22 longs to try. I think it will cycle now problem.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I'm back to shooting my SA-22 shorts only.
Yes.. for having to shoot left handed.
It's perfect for me.
I'm thinking about going with a Skinner peep sight..
It has a Leupolds 2x7 Rimfire on it now.
Very accurate.
So ? I dunno... I probably should just leave it alone.
There is simply nothing as pure class as a Browning sa22 ..... nothing.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:35 PM
berettaprofessor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was able to shoot my SA22 short version at an established range recently. Off sandbags, with a 6X scope, a 15 shot group of CCI target short measured one inch at 50 yards. 13 shots of that were within a half-inch; alas two fliers.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:49 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have several Belgium SA-22s. None of them are Anschutz accurate, but in my opinion, they are the best semi auto field rifle ever made.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:28 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Many years ago (mid-60s) I was a forester on the Flathead NF in Montana. I didn't have that large of an open field to shoot on, but there was an airfield on the district where FS and private aircraft used.

There was a population of Columbian ground squirrels that I tried to keep in check with my ATD. Made landings much smoother for the planes. We (FS) flew a Cessna 180 for fire lookout when the fire danger was high, and groceries into Big Prairie RD which was 40 miles up the river from Spotted Bear RS.

Loved that country. Uncle sent me to SE Asia and I never made it back to God's country.

VH
Old 02-16-2019, 11:55 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DInghram View Post
Mine is a short only model, and it`s never had a scope on it, just shot off the bench at 25 yards. It and my old Nylon 66 shoot pretty much the same, groups about the size of a quarter or less. I was snooping around through my old Sierra loading manual a couple of days ago and found the original sales receipt for the little Browning. $164.50 on 10-24-1977, had forgotten it was there. I think the Nylon 66 is the same year.

That's awesome 😊
With open sights.😃

I'm shooting mine today.. both the shorts and long Rifle.
They are wonderfully built and beautiful.
Accurate too.
Makes me wonder ?
Why own anything else ?
Old 02-16-2019, 12:16 PM
varmit hunter67

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Last targets, indoor range

I shot these targets a few months ago when I replaced the Nikon 4X with the 3x9 EFR AO w/target dot. It shoots up a storm, but I think I need to adjust a click or 2 right. This was with Fed Auto Match, 25 yd.s It has never really been ammo specific. It shoots everything right where you aim it.
[IMG][/IMG]

I think this target was on the same day. It was a lot easier to see. I was shooting over my shooting bag for a rest and rattled off this target.
[IMG][/IMG]

I really need to exercise it more often.

VH
Old 03-02-2019, 02:12 PM
MN22LRFan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1967 SA22 Gr II with 4X Redfield scope, at 25 yards with good target grade ammo, 5x groups touching. Not tried 50 yards too heavy a trigger and too light a rifle !
Old 03-06-2019, 12:54 PM
varmit hunter67

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just ran across a couple more recent pic.s with my ATD.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Both targets were shot on the same day.

VH
Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine shoots 1/2 to 3/4" at 50 yards. However, I have not really experimented with ammo. I usually shoot cci std velocity. I am curious as to what it might do with some premium ammo.

I like shooting clay targets at 100 yards with it. I never really expected it to be a sub moa gun and that's why I never experimented with premium ammo.

Regadless, the SA 22 is probably the most fun shooting rifle I own. It's just special for some reason, probable because I used to shoot one as a kid.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:36 PM
kimberkook

TPC Rating: 
100% (89)
Mine shoots where I point it With SK Std+ it will group within an inch at 100 yards and do the one-hole thing at 50 yds. I'm very pleased with accuracy for an S-A. No jamming, either
Old 03-06-2019, 09:50 PM
wadvocat
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to wadvocat
Are these groups all shot off-hand?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM
varmit hunter67

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I shoot off a soft bag. Often just off the top of my range bag. No rear bag on the stock.

I do not rest the barrel on the bag, just the forearm, which is resting in my hand with a normal (?) grip.

You just need to be consistent in how you hold the rifle when you zero and how you shoot are the same. Over the years, I have found this to be true regardless of what rifle I am using. That is why another person shooting your rifle might not shoot your rifle as well as you do.

VH
Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot off a bench rest . it's not the easiest gun to shoot off a rest as I have to be a bit of a contortionist to gt my head on the stock.I might note that my groups at 25 yards were similar to Varmint hunter 67.

Mine falls apart at 100 yards where groups drop off to about 3".

I'm using a 3x9x33 Leupold Freedom scope on mine. I might do better with more power, but I doubt it. For being a takedown rifle, I am pleased with the accuracy. I tend to enjoy this rifle for offhand plinking cans, clays or steel within 50 yards.

From some of the results others are having, I may have underestimated the accuracy potential of this little rifle. It might deserve some experimentation with ammo.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Watsky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Japanese model.
Its a favorite for sure.
I shoot it off hand standing for practice.
That bead front sight takes some getting used to but with Aguila SV at 25yards I'm getting good results .
Easily my favorite 22LR .
Not as accurate as my CZ455 but a great shooter in its own right.